FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Transferring luggage from one airline to another on long haul flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/888066-transferring-luggage-one-airline-another-long-haul-flight.html)

bassmomma Nov 12, 2008 1:05 pm

Transferring luggage from one airline to another on long haul flight

Would appreciate info on how the airlines transfer luggage from one airline to another on long haul flights. We will be traveling on AA from PHX to MIA, then transferring to BA onward to LHR and on to BUD on BA. If we check our luggage at PHX all the way to BUD will our luggage be on the same plane as we are....meaning that when we arrive at BUD our luggage will hopefully be there also.

nytango Nov 12, 2008 1:09 pm

chances are it will not make it thru LHR.

yul2005 Nov 12, 2008 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by bassmomma (Post 10732074)
Would appreciate info on how the airlines transfer luggage from one airline to another on long haul flights. We will be traveling on AA from PHX to MIA, then transferring to BA at LHR and on to BUD on BA. If we check our luggage at PHX all the way to BUD will our luggage be on the same plane as we are....meaning that when we arrive at BUD our luggage will hopefully be there also.

First half of 2007, I think I got my luggage 1 out of 5 times. Had not flown through LHR again (not deliberate - just no need) until a few weeks ago. On a multi-leg trip like yours, it made it in both directions without problems. 1 out of 1 is not a real predictor, but overall, things at LHR seem MUCH better than last year.

JJeffrey Nov 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Yes it will be on the same plane, assuming it makes all the connections etc.

Your earlier post said you were on BA from MIA-LHR-BUD w/ less than 1.5 hrs to connect at LHR. If that's the case, at LHR you're arriving and departing from T5, so if everything's on time you should be ok, but it will be tight.

This post indicates you're on AA from MIA-LHR then BA LHR-BUD. If that's the case, and your connecting time from your last post is true, then it would be an illegal connection.

ijgordon Nov 12, 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by bassmomma (Post 10732074)
If we check our luggage at PHX all the way to BUD will our luggage be on the same plane as we are....meaning that when we arrive at BUD our luggage will hopefully be there also.

"Hopefully" it will be there. But sh*t happens. Bring a change of underwear in your carry-on just in case...

Blumie Nov 12, 2008 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by nytango (Post 10732136)

That's a ridiculous statement, IMHO. BA had significant problems at LHR earlier in the year, but that's largely been resolved. Plus, the OP is most concerned about the AA-BA transfer; given the 3-hour connection time at MIA, there should be no problem there. I think the chances of the OP's bags making it all the way to BUD are excellent. All of that said, it's always a good idea to carry a change on clothes in one's carryon.

bassmomma Nov 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 10732444)
Yes it will be on the same plane, assuming it makes all the connections etc.

Your earlier post said you were on BA from MIA-LHR-BUD w/ less than 1.5 hrs to connect at LHR. If that's the case, at LHR you're arriving and departing from T5, so if everything's on time you should be ok, but it will be tight.

This post indicates you're on AA from MIA-LHR then BA LHR-BUD. If that's the case, and your connecting time from your last post is true, then it would be an illegal connection.

I believe you misread my later post. Please note the following:
We will be traveling on AA from PHX to MIA, then transferring to BA onward to LHR and on to BUD on BA.

brp Nov 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by bassmomma (Post 10733261)
I believe you misread my later post.

I think it makes it a little more difficult to follow when the same question about the same itinerary is spread across multiple threads. It would probably be easier for all to follow, and comment on, if only one thread were started for a given question/itinerary/topic.

Cheers.

3Cforme Nov 12, 2008 2:57 pm

It's called interlining baggage. Yes, AA will interline to BA. If all travel is on one ticket, just have AA check it to BUD. If you're traveling on separate tickets PHX-MIA on AA, then a BA ticket MIA-LHR-BUD, have the full details (purchase receipt with ticket and flight numbers) of your BA travels for the AA agent at check-in at PHX.

CApreppie Nov 12, 2008 3:49 pm

I think you should be fine. How long between each set of flights?

bassmomma Nov 12, 2008 6:10 pm

CApreppie, we have 3 hrs between flights at MIA - changing from AA to BA. At LHR we have 1 hr 15 min.
After I have done this for a while, perhaps I can better organize myself. Thanks to all of you for "putting up with me!"

CApreppie Nov 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Plenty of time in Miami. I think you'll be fine in LHR if you plane is ontime. You'll arrive into T5 from MIA and leave from T5 for BUD. Just don't dawdle.

Safe travels!

mvoight Nov 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by bassmomma (Post 10733261)
I believe you misread my later post. Please note the following:
We will be traveling on AA from PHX to MIA, then transferring to BA onward to LHR and on to BUD on BA.

AA flies PHX to MIA nonstop? I didn't know that.
I guess as long as BA doesn't fly there :)

I once flew SVO-LHR-JFK-SFO (only SVO-LHR on BA, the rest on AA)
My luggage went SVO-LHR-SFO, all on BA

I was bit concerned when I got to JFK and had nothing to take through Customs. AA claimed the tag number was for someone else's bag to another destination. I was even more concerned when it wasn't with AA at SFO.
The baggage person at AA in SFO swore that there was no way BA would have it............. so, I went over to BA baggage, and they had it :) BA gave me an amenity kit for my trouble.

Of course, this probably won't happen again, unless AA gives up on DME.

BAK Nov 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 10732916)
That's a ridiculous statement, IMHO. BA had significant problems at LHR earlier in the year, but that's largely been resolved. Plus, the OP is most concerned about the AA-BA transfer; given the 3-hour connection time at MIA, there should be no problem there. I think the chances of the OP's bags making it all the way to BUD are excellent. All of that said, it's always a good idea to carry a change on clothes in one's carryon.

I have to agree: I had two connections AA-BA in LHR, just a month ago. Everything went smoothly, and the CX lounge was nice (thank you FT!).

zman Nov 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by nytango (Post 10732136)

Why?
If you have 2 hours to change u get a 50/50 chance at 3 hours it should be OK