Where can I find an explanation of all AA Cabin Booking Codes?

Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Where can I find an explanation of all AA Cabin Booking Codes?

My company has booked me on an AA flight from JFK-SFO, with the flight to SFO being in Economy - M, and the return flight being in Economy - V, and I just wanted to know if there is or what the difference is between the 2. Is there a good thread on flyertalk which explains all the differences in booking codes? Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Yes there is a good thread. I don't recall the name of it but a search should bring it up. Also, have you checked the wiki and the stickies? The link to the thread (or the actual info) may in one or both of those.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
It is part of the wiki..
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
F, A and P are first class fares.

J, D and I are business class fares.

Y and B are "full" coach fares.

H, K, M, L, W and V are discounted coach fares.

G, Q, O, N and S are deeply discounted coach fares.

The lower you go down the scale, the more restrictive the fares are, in terms of refundability, changeability, flexibility, penalties, mileage credit and the like.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, MR Gld, SPG Platinum
Reiterates the info stated above, but here is a link on the AA site:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...anAirlines.jsp
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: AA Plt
To tell you the truth, the fact that it's an "M" fare or a "V" fare doesn't tell you a lot. After all, what on earth is a "discounted coach fare"? At a very basic level, you can gather that they book into the coach cabin, are non-refundable, require stickers to upgrade, and provide you with 1 elite qualifying point per mile flown. But they share those characteristics with a whole lot of other fares. And actually, to make it even more confusing, there are many kinds of "M" and "V" fares even within those general fare buckets.

What's infinitely more important are the fare rules. You could have seen these when you booked on AA.com or you can call up AA to have them read to you (not a fun conversation.) Within those you'll find the specific differences in advance purchase requirements, minimum stay, change fees, standby rules, etc. That's where all these fares break down.

Honestly, though -- and I mean this with all generosity and sincerity -- if you're asking what's the difference, the answer is that it probably doesn't matter to you. Some people look for specific fare rules requirements when they are booking tickets and will not settle for the cheapest fare. If your company has already bought the ticket for you, though, they probably think it's good enough as it is. You can be happy knowing that you may well sit next to someone paying thousands of dollars for a Y or B fare (and indeed, they may be in the middle seat!) They'll be somewhat mollified by the fact that they could decide at the gate that they'd rather attend their daughter's softball game that day and get their money back in cash, instead. Ah, price discrimination...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.