Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Can I Upgrade on IB using AA miles? Get Lounge Access as AA Plat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM

I am flying ORD-MAD-AGP in November and have two quick questions. My entire itinerary is booked into a S-fare on Iberia (though the AA site). It looks like it isn't possible to use AA miles to upgrade from Y to Biz on IB is this correct?

Second question is regarding lounge access. Will I have access to the Iberia lounges in Spain being a Plat member of AA? Their website doesn't show the eligible status tiers like the AA one. I am not an AC member.

Thanks for the help
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:20 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade - No
Lounge Access - Yes
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Links to oneworld lounge access information, AA status brochures and much more exist in the Unofficial Users' Guide sticky.

You can only upgrade with AA insturments on AA metal.

oneworld Sapphires can use any oneworld airline's lounges (with one guest; some contract lounges may be excluded,) the same day of travel on a oneworld airline, essentially - but do read the entire policy.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by mlx52
I am flying ORD-MAD-AGP in November and have two quick questions. My entire itinerary is booked into a S-fare on Iberia (though the AA site). It looks like it isn't possible to use AA miles to upgrade from Y to Biz on IB is this correct?

Second question is regarding lounge access. Will I have access to the Iberia lounges in Spain being a Plat member of AA? Their website doesn't show the eligible status tiers like the AA one. I am not an AC member.

Thanks for the help
Lounge access yes = both in ORD Admirals Club and MAD = Iberia club... Iberia club is very nice.
Upgrade... had a long talk with IB about this last time I was in MAD. Essentially they only upgrades they do is an Op Up if economy is full. Ask to be put on the list just in case. Enjoy the ride the plane is huge and economy is not that bad (Free wine/beer)
Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:07 pm
CJR

Programs: Star Alliance, Oneworld
S Fare class

Remember, if the booking is an Iberia# rather than the AA code share, S fare class sadly posts to AAdvantage @ 30% flown, 300 minimum and half of those miles are EQM.

Last edited by CJR; Aug 14, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.