Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

Note: Main Cabin Extra has been rolled out for the 767-323ER; the forward coach mini-cabin has gone from four to three rows of seats, and which of them are best are discussed here:
Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra seats on the 763 / 767-300 (consolidated).

AA thread describing MCE . . . . . . . . . . . FT main general MCE thread
Print Wikipost

Best 763 / 767-300ER coach / Y seat / seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
21 pretty good. I have always preferred the starboard side of the cabin as many of the middle seats fill and empty on port side.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Definitely 21, like so many others said.

Row 20 can be OK if you have the two seats to yourself and you're not too tall. That allows you to angle the legs and get extra legroom and provides various seating options that are preferable to non-exit rows. But, as I said, 21 is much, much better, and I'd hate to sit in 20 if someone were in the seat next to me.

Both rows have one powerport each. Lots of rows in the back (center and window/aisle) do not have any powerports, so beware.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I flew ORD-DUB back in 2007. I had seats 10A/B to myself...I'm only 5"10' and my knees hurt afterward...Avoid those seats as well.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
(bump)

Am in 20H JFK-SFO, and it looks like I have a seatmate, and row 21 is full. Am not hugely tall (5'7" woman), is the legroom going to be an issue or should I move to another regular coach aisle?

Also, how/when do you ask for or get row 17? They are showing as occupied on the seat maps so far.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by kboo
(bump)

Am in 20H JFK-SFO, and it looks like I have a seatmate, and row 21 is full. Am not hugely tall (5'7" woman), is the legroom going to be an issue or should I move to another regular coach aisle?

Also, how/when do you ask for or get row 17? They are showing as occupied on the seat maps so far.
20 sucks...

Try another row where there might be a seat next to you open

I think 17 is airport controlled, so get there early and ask
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
Row 17 on 763 Domestic

Does anyone know if the EXP desk can pre-reserve these seats? I lost EXP Mar. 1, but when I inquired on row 17 on a 763 transcon yesterday, the gate agent said they had all been pre-reserved. I thought only they were only for assignment at the gate, and so did the GA, but she suggested maybe the EXP desk could assign them?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
I flew ORD-DUB back in 2007. I had seats 10A/B to myself...I'm only 5"10' and my knees hurt afterward...Avoid those seats as well.
Did ORD-DUB in one of the B seats (12B maybe?) in the mini-cabin...I'm only 5'7" and my knees were also right against the seat in front of me when it was reclined. 21H on the way back was ok. Much more leg room, though the lack of pitch on any of the Y seats really kills me (hard for me to sleep).

If you suspect the flight will be pretty full, I would grab a row 21 A/B/H/J. Otherwise I would try to grab an entire 3 seat row if possible.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bcm0830
Does anyone know if the EXP desk can pre-reserve these seats? I lost EXP Mar. 1, but when I inquired on row 17 on a 763 transcon yesterday, the gate agent said they had all been pre-reserved. I thought only they were only for assignment at the gate, and so did the GA, but she suggested maybe the EXP desk could assign them?
They aren't pre-reserved, they are blocked. I don't think that you will be able to get them released prior to them going to airport assignment.

AA is not contractually required to block those seats unless the block time is 8 hours, so a transcon normally doesn't qualify. Still, the FAs seem to feel that they are entitled to those seats. Gate agents will often release them, but not always. If you ask and get them, be prepared to get minimal service from FAs during the flight (one drink service, ring the call button for anything else). FAs will typically do the minimum and be pretty brusque about it also. Once in a while I am surprised, but not often. It is particularly bad on eastbound redeyes, as the FAs can hole up in row 17 and sleep for most of the flight if you aren't there. Sleeping on a jumpseat is much more difficult.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
rechecked for my flight tomorrow and 21C is now open - aisle in the center section - is it also decent for legroom?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by kboo
rechecked for my flight tomorrow and 21C is now open - aisle in the center section - is it also decent for legroom?
They are standard Y seats, no extra leg room like the true exit seats A/B/H/J
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:59 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I seldom fly AA but couldn't resist the $430+ RT that I got from SFO-FRA/CDG-SFO. I will be flying the 763 and having no status I am not looking forward to spending a good part of the day sitting in a standard Y seat. Does AA allow you to select row 21 by online or kiosk check-in on day of departure? NW and CO allows you to access EMERGENCY EXIT seats without using an airport agent.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by aw
I seldom fly AA but couldn't resist the $430+ RT that I got from SFO-FRA/CDG-SFO. I will be flying the 763 and having no status I am not looking forward to spending a good part of the day sitting in a standard Y seat. Does AA allow you to select row 21 by online or kiosk check-in on day of departure? NW and CO allows you to access EMERGENCY EXIT seats without using an airport agent.
21A/B or 21H/J do have more legroom, but they will be very hard to get. Elites have priority to exit aisle seats, whether online or at the airport. If you are very lucky and one of those is empty at the moment you checkin, you could maybe get reassigned.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
... also hope for last minute upgrades to clear. Most likely the pax is EXP awaiting an eVIP upgrade to C. Once he clears and if (s)he had that seat, it will open up.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:15 pm

AA2448 LAX to DFW 767-300 -- Seat 13J good?

Hi all,
I'm flying from SBA-LAX-DFW-DCA on 6/17 and back on 6/24. I picked this itinerary because I wanted to try a 767, and I got a cheapo ticket for $277 out the door. The departing and returning segments between LAX and DFW are both in 767-300's (I think it's the "New Business" version because it has 44 rows on the AA seat map).

I'm always glued to the window when flying, so getting a good seat is important to me even though this is a short run. I checked seatexpert and seatguru and saw that 13A and 13J have limited recline and a window missing. I'm wondering how good/bad this seat is. On my departing segment I went ahead and picked seat 13J because I almost never recline. I figured I would be ahead of the wing and get a better view to the ground.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this seat? Legroom and seat pitch aren't really a problem for me since I'm 5' 4" and 125 lbs! Will I have a good view of the ground, or just a face full of engine? Will I have to lean forward the whole time to look out the window?

From seatexpert it looks like I should be OK, but there's enough weasel language to make me nervous.

Row 13 is taken for my return flight so I booked 29J. I figured I'd be behind the wing and have a good view. I searched the forums and saw that people recommend 21A/J, but since I have no status I'll have to hope for scoring that at the airport. How's the view from 21?

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
It's not easy to see out the window from 13J. If you are usually glued to the window, you won't like it. It's sort of in a dark back corner of the mini-cabin -- great for sleeping, but the window is well forward. If the person in front of you reclines, there is little window access at all. And even if not, you really have to lean forward to see out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.