Wiki Posts
Search

Where are my Winglets?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Where are my Winglets?

Anybody else notice how slowly AA seems to be rolling out the Winglets on the 737 and especially the 757? Was connecting over MIA the last few days and noticed only a few of the many 757s now have the Winglets. I would have thought AA would would roll these out as quickly as possible to help cut the fuel bill.

Anyone know if they are caught in a order backlog for the shipsets?
Old May 6, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
it takes time. installation of the winglets on the 757 in particular requires taking the plane out of service for a while. the only winglets i've seen out my window on AA have been on the 737, tho i've certainly seen the wingletted 757's at BOS when they were cycling to europe and california from there...

AA is the launch customer for the blended winglet for the 767-300ER, and AA will lease one airplane to Aviation Partners Boeing in 2008 for the certification program.
Old May 6, 2007, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Did a bit of research on the topic and found AA now has 20 757 with the winglets and expects to complete the fleet by 1Q 2008.

49 of 77 737s complete with full fleet by midyear.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/a..._E1_spanc11213
Old May 6, 2007, 5:14 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Probabley will take as long as putting in NGBC seats on the 763s for the current winglets!

Then just when NGBC get in 100% of the 763s and AA starts on the 777s ... the 763s will be pull back in for maintenance to put on their winglets.

Seems like AA is trying to keep its maintenance facilities busy!

More Room thru Coach ..
Less Room thru Coach ...
Remove coach ovens on MD80s
Remove First closets add 1 row First on MD80s
Remove Galleys and add more coach on MD80s
Remove Closet/jumpseat add 1 more row First on 757s
Upgrade MD83s (ex TWA) to reall AA First seats
737 winglets
757 winglets

the list grows!

Would be nice for them to complete one project before changing their minds about that aircraft!!!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just saw the National Geographic documentary on the A380. Addition of the winglets helped drop the wingspan by 10 feet. Documentary goes into the aerodynamics of why adding them helps and how the idea was adopted after studying how eagles fly.

All the Airbus models seems to have what looks like a < at the end of each plane. Is this a winglet? If it is seems that the idea has been around for ever. What took Boeing so long?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by grahampros
Anybody else notice how slowly AA seems to be rolling out the Winglets on the 737 and especially the 757? Was connecting over MIA the last few days and noticed only a few of the many 757s now have the Winglets. I would have thought AA would would roll these out as quickly as possible to help cut the fuel bill.

Anyone know if they are caught in a order backlog for the shipsets?
It is much more labor intensive to add the winglets to the 757 versus the 738. IIRC, the 757 wingelets require reinforcement to wing spars, whereas, the 738s were more or less a "bolt on" installation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.