Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to combine family accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, starwood fanatic
Is it possible to combine family accounts

We have two accounts with AA and both have miles in them. We are no longer using one at all, our effort to combine, and want to move over the 20,000 + miles before they expire. I know SPG allows you to combine or transfer the points, any way to do the same with AA?

Thank you
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold
If they are in the same name, yes. But my guess from the title is no.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
It's possible to xfer miles from one account to another -- but it requires payment of a fee to AA. Details are on aa.com of course...http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...asingMiles.jsp

Last edited by CO FF; Jun 20, 2008 at 2:14 pm Reason: add link
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

You can pay $25 and move AA miles to Hilton at a ratio of 2 Hilton points for 1 AA mile. 40K Hilton points gets you a night at any of their top hotels, other than the handful in the Waldorf collection.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
I don't see why AA would let you combine accounts for free when they offer mileage transfer to friends and family for a fee.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hull22
I don't see why AA would let you combine accounts for free when they offer mileage transfer to friends and family for a fee.
AA does this as a convenience for those members who 'by mistake' happened to open a 2nd AAdvantage account in their name.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You can pay $25 and move AA miles to Hilton at a ratio of 2 Hilton points for 1 AA mile. 40K Hilton points gets you a night at any of their top hotels, other than the handful in the Waldorf collection.
Then you could pay another $25 and transfer the Hilton points back to your AA acct.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by giggy
Then you could pay another $25 and transfer the Hilton points back to your AA acct.
So -- by transferring to Hilton and then back to an Aadvantage account, one could circumvent the more substantial fees involved in transferring miles between accounts? And perhaps also get around the annual cap of miles? Or have they been smart enough to not allow this?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
So -- by transferring to Hilton and then back to an Aadvantage account, one could circumvent the more substantial fees involved in transferring miles between accounts? And perhaps also get around the annual cap of miles? Or have they been smart enough to not allow this?
You can do it, but your miles are severely devalued in the process. In other words, you end up with fewer total AA miles than you started with.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
As jridge said, you could do this but at a significant devaluation. For example, 100,000 AA miles would become 200,000 HHonors points. You could then transfer them back to AA and get about 30,000 miles.

Good way to devalue your miles by 70%. Plus pay the minor transfer fees.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA does this as a convenience for those members who 'by mistake' happened to open a 2nd AAdvantage account in their name.
But, the OP appears to be trying to combine accounts from multiple people.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Has anyone actually done this before? I see in the AAdvantage FAQ on AA.com that you can have multiple acct's with the same name and address combined-- What I want to know, is if the lifetime total miles of the two accounts add together. So if I had 100k LT miles in account A and 50k LT miles in account B-- I merge B into A-- Will my new account A lifetime miles show 150k?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by leroix
Has anyone actually done this before? I see in the AAdvantage FAQ on AA.com that you can have multiple acct's with the same name and address combined-- What I want to know, is if the lifetime total miles of the two accounts add together. So if I had 100k LT miles in account A and 50k LT miles in account B-- I merge B into A-- Will my new account A lifetime miles show 150k?
In general, yes (unless fraud is suspected).
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Purchased miles, flown miles, bonus miles, dining miles - all miles transferred into your account - count for lifetime status. Even miles taken on from assimilated airlines - e.g. TWA. As Gandhi90s says, unless...

As to combining two people's accounts as per the OP, it might be better, in terms of mileage devaluation, to accumulate 5,000 more miles in the one with 20k sitting there in peril of extinction and then use them to purchase an award ticket, or something like that.

Originally Posted by leroix
Old Aug 9, 2008, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by deant
As jridge said, you could do this but at a significant devaluation. For example, 100,000 AA miles would become 200,000 HHonors points. You could then transfer them back to AA and get about 30,000 miles.

Good way to devalue your miles by 70%. Plus pay the minor transfer fees.
Huh? Isn't it 5 HH points for 1 AA mile?
So, that would be 40K miles at the end, correct?

Or is it realy 6:1 now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.