Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by IntFF
I have a long trip coming that includes: EZE=>MIA, MIA=>SJO=>MIA, MIA=>MAD. I was suposed to get an eVIP from a friend, eventually it did not work out. However- for a while (when I had the eVIP) I was put by Exec-Plat desk on waitlists for EZE=>MIA + MIA=>MAD (with MIA=>SJO=>MIA in between), and I was told 1 eVIP needed for Both upgrades.
It sounded too good to be true... but I cancelled the req before the waitlists cleared.
Was this according to rules? or just a mistaken agent and it would have not gone thru on 1 eVIP?
Was the agent willing to waitlist you for EZE-MIA and MIA-MAD but not the SJO portion? How much time would elapse between you arrival from EZE and your departure from MAD.

Certainly, EZE-MIA-MAD on one eVIP is legal.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Was the agent willing to waitlist you for EZE-MIA and MIA-MAD but not the SJO portion? How much time would elapse between you arrival from EZE and your departure from MAD.

Certainly, EZE-MIA-MAD on one eVIP is legal.
I never asked for upgrades to/from SJO, MIA=>SJO was already requested for upgrade with stickers (somehow it is considered domestic), and SJO=>MIA was originally in biz (I-class). But I am staying 8 days in Costa Rica, it is 9 days between the EZE=>MIA and MIA=>MAD that I was told can be upgraded on 1 eVIP.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I applied an eVIP on a domestic only itinerary. This booked into "A" inventory. However, I did not get the expected Q points or miles bonus associated with "A" inventory (+ 50%). Are the rules for "A" class different when using an eVIP?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by bpauker
I applied an eVIP on a domestic only itinerary. This booked into "A" inventory. However, I did not get the expected Q points or miles bonus associated with "A" inventory (+ 50%). Are the rules for "A" class different when using an eVIP?
You got the EQP from the fare purchased:
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...igibility_(AA)

The bonus on A fares refer to PURCHASED fares, not upgraded
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I tried to search but due to my lack of knowledge on how AA VIPs work, I cannot seem to find the answer I'm seeking.

I'll be flying A-B-C.
A-B is a domestic flight while B-C is a TPAC.
There is A inventory on A-B sector but no C inventory on B-C sector.

When using a VIP to upgrade, do A-B clears first while B-C is waitlisted or do they need to clear at the same time?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by kkjay77
I tried to search but due to my lack of knowledge on how AA VIPs work, I cannot seem to find the answer I'm seeking.

I'll be flying A-B-C.
A-B is a domestic flight while B-C is a TPAC.
There is A inventory on A-B sector but no C inventory on B-C sector.

When using a VIP to upgrade, do A-B clears first while B-C is waitlisted or do they need to clear at the same time?
You can clear the domestic portion and waitlist the int'l portion. You do not need to clear everything at once to use the eVIP. However, be aware that there is no guarantee that the int'l portion will clear and if the domestic portion is a short hop you could end up wasting the eVIP.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Technical ? about usage of eVip

Let's say someone I know has an eVip that I want to use.

Can this person actually transfer an eVip to my AAdvantage account, or does the eVip holder have to actually apply the eVip to my prebooked itnerary?

Or is there some other option I'm not thinking of?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by trojanman
Can this person actually transfer an eVip to my AAdvantage account,
No.

... or does the eVip holder have to actually apply the eVip to my prebooked itnerary?
Yes.

None of which I'm aware.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Let's say someone I know has an eVip that I want to use.

Can this person actually transfer an eVip to my AAdvantage account, or does the eVip holder have to actually apply the eVip to my prebooked itnerary?

All the owner has to do is call AA give them your locator and segments to be upgraded and you are done. Takes 5 minutes
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
p.s. you can also make a reservation, put it on hold, and then have the eVIP applied to your name/PNR before you buy the ticket. The holder has to call the EXP line to apply the eVIP.

p.p.s. if suitable "A" or "C" inventory (i.e. upgrades) is available for the flights you have selected, the eVIP can "kick in" immediately, and you can select seats in Biz class or First cabins right away. If inventory is not available, you will have to be on the upgrade waitlist until upgrade inventory becomes available for your flights.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If that - it is seamless, easy and quick. I have never had any difficulty with the process. (Then again, I have never sold, bartered or traded a VIP / SWU. )

Originally Posted by Deltahater
All the owner has to do is call AA give them your locator and segments to be upgraded and you are done. Takes 5 minutes
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Question about eVIP that only clears on 1 segment

So I'm going to be flying BOS-ORD-DEL and am trying to use an eVIP to upgrade. ORD-DEL and the return have 16 seats left in J, so I'm not too worried, but just in case...

What happens in a scenario where the BOS-ORD portion clears and ORD-DEL never does? Is there any good way to prevent this? Obviously, I want to get myself on the list as soon as I book, but I'd hate to waste an eVIP that only clears on the first segment.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by brp
Not sure if N, for example, has to be available for eVIP downgrade, but it is the case with domestic upgrades to X.
If you try to downgrade an X before the flight goes to airport control this is true, i.e., N inventory needs to be available. At the airport there just needs to be availability in Y, i.e., N does not need to be available.

However, I know it is possible to override the system before going to airport control (as it always is) since I got an EXP AAngel to do it once when I "accidently" upgraded my wife (GLD) and it cleared on a flight she didn't want the upgrade.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mikeef
What happens in a scenario where the BOS-ORD portion clears and ORD-DEL never does?
You can have it set up for the international segment to clear first so that won't happen. I've done that when the systemwide has several months left on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.