FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   electrical outlets in coach? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/769315-electrical-outlets-coach.html)

slabeaume Dec 18, 2007 8:36 am

electrical outlets in coach?

Is there a way of knowing which seats have electrical outlets before actually getting on the plane? I always seem to be in a row without it.

bdemaria Dec 18, 2007 8:41 am

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...horEvent=false

Seats marked with black dots have a power outlet.

brp Dec 18, 2007 8:42 am

www.seatguru.com

Cheers.

slabeaume Dec 18, 2007 9:12 am

Wow---thanks. These charts come in quite handy.

UncleRobin Dec 18, 2007 11:55 am

To add a quick note; the charts are not always 100% accurate. For example Sunday I was on a 767 row 36, seat G. The chart on aa.com shows two power outlets in CEG row 36, but my plane didn't have any. HJ row 36 did have power.

UR

shoodawg Dec 18, 2007 1:09 pm

deleted

slabeaume Dec 19, 2007 7:20 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg (Post 8918239)
May I ask what you intend to plug in?

Laptop that no longer charges, or a DVD player----nothing too exciting!

ja_user Dec 19, 2007 8:23 am

Originally Posted by slabeaume (Post 8922491)
Laptop that no longer charges, or a DVD player----nothing too exciting!

And so you realize that AA power is basically a cig lighter 12 volt plug. It isn't 110 power, so you may need a converter depending on your equipment.

Also, note that ex TWA 757's don't have power. Neither do the ex TWA MD-83's, there are various way's to tell which one you will be on. The schedule and seatguru.com are good resources. The seatmap for the ex TWA 757's is different, in the front coach exit row. These have been sold to Delta, but they are not all gone.

Aleks Dec 19, 2007 12:46 pm

Powerports
Your seat may be equipped with a DC power outlet. American uses a "cigarette lighter" style outlet delivering 15 volts of direct current. On most aircraft*, a power outlet is available at each seat in First and Business class, as well as selected rows in the Coach cabin. Outlets may be used to operate laptop computers, CD/DVD players, charging cellphone and other devices with a maximum 75-watt capacity. Outlets are located on your seat console, or mounted to the seat frame below your seat cushion. Look for the "lightning bolt" symbol on the overhead bin rows containing powerport-equipped seats. For detailed powerport locations by aircraft type, visit the Our Planes section on AA.com. This information can also be found in the AA Timetable.

DC auto/air power adapter cords can be purchased at most electronics stores or through power cord manufacturers. Keep in mind that power adapter cords are device (laptop or DVD) and model specific. Splitter or Y adaptor cords may not be used. Only one device is allowed per outlet.

To operate: Plug your adapter cord into the computer first, then lift the outlet cover and plug your cord into the outlet.

System power is available when the green light on the outlet is illuminated.

*Powerports are offered on all Boeing 777, 767, 737, Boeing MD80 and Airbus 300 aircraft. Most Boeing 757 aircraft offer powerports.

Use of powerports is permitted only when the aircraft is above 10,000 feet in altitude and the flight attendant announces that personal electronic devices are allowed. The use of powerports is at your own risk. American is not responsible for loss of data or damage to personal hardware or software.

CloudCoder Dec 19, 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by ja_user (Post 8922829)
Also, note that ex TWA 757's don't have power. Neither do the ex TWA MD-83's ...

At one time the ex-TWA MadDogs did not have power ports. But nowadays all MD-80s have 'em. Some of the 757's (the ones with the multi-colored purpley cloth seats) still do not have power ports.

Originally Posted by Aleks (Post 8924504)
Use of powerports is permitted only when the aircraft is above 10,000 feet in altitude and the flight attendant announces that personal electronic devices are allowed.

I know you're quoting from AA.com, yet their info is not completely correct. Powerport use is also allowed immediately after boarding until the aircraft door is closed.

slabeaume Dec 19, 2007 12:56 pm

You guys are making my head hurt. I just want to use my cigarette lighter adapter and plug my DVD player in so I can watch a movie.

MileageGoblin Dec 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by slabeaume (Post 8924567)
You guys are making my head hurt. I just want to use my cigarette lighter adapter and plug my DVD player in so I can watch a movie.

As you can tell, people take this forum and flying on AA a little too seriously. :rolleyes:

dayone Dec 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 8925952)
As you can tell, people take this forum and flying on AA a little too seriously.

More often, the criticism is that some don't take this forum seriously.

bdemaria Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by slabeaume (Post 8924567)

I do the same thing w/a cigarette lighter adapater - and pick my seats based on the aa.com/seatguru.com. I can only recall one flight in the last 4 years when there wasn't an adapter where I thought there would be one.

Spyder Dec 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 8925952)
As you can tell, people take this forum and flying on AA a little too seriously. :rolleyes:

Well, at least the OP didn't get the obligatory AA forum, "Do a search!' comment. ;)