What is AA's responsibility?

Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
What is AA's responsibility?

I was booked on a xxx-ORD-JAN-DFW-xxx itinerary today with 4 hours in JAN (I needed to drop of an important proposal and missed the FedEx deadline ) I checked the conditions ORD before buying my ticket this morning and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Unfortunately the inbound aircraft that was taking me to ORD was delayed due to a mechanical issue. After a mad sprint across ORD, I got to my ORD-JAN flight the agent was just closing the door to go down and bring the manifest or whatever. She refused to let me on even though the plane sat there for another 10 minutes before pushing back. (I know, I was too late, but still it is annoying to see the plane you want to be on just sitting there). Because of the limited number of flights to JAN there is now no reason for me to go. However, AA is most unaccommodating. The "friendly" agents at ORD refuse to give me compensation or even a flight back home. They say that I can continue on to JAN but since I will miss my original flight that I will just be stuck there. Is it really AA's policy just to strand me in Chicago or Jackson?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:18 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SfoDtwFlr
Because of the limited number of flights to JAN there is now no reason for me to go. However, AA is most unaccommodating. The "friendly" agents at ORD refuse to give me compensation or even a flight back home. They say that I can continue on to JAN but since I will miss my original flight that I will just be stuck there. Is it really AA's policy just to strand me in Chicago or Jackson?
Call AA reservations (instead of trying to make the overworked GA's at ORD handle this problem). Tell 'em your trip is "in vain": due to a mechanical delay, you misconnected and missed your meeting. So now you just want to return to point of origin.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Call AA reservations (instead of trying to make the overworked GA's at ORD handle this problem). Tell 'em your trip is "in vain": due to a mechanical delay, you misconnected and missed your meeting. So now you just want to return to point of origin.

I agree completely. The airport AAgents are trained to get you to your original destination, and they get confused if you tell them you want to go somewhere else. Just walk away and call AA Reservations.

Note: Sometimes it even happens with the AAngels. Once, I spent 20 minutes trying to convince a rep at the H/K club that I no longer needed to fly out to the West Coast and just wanted to go home. She kept saying "well, we're supposed to do everything we can to get you to your destination." Finally, I just walked away and called the PLT desk...and within 3 minutes I was rebooked on the next flight home.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
2wsx`

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I had something similar but mine was due to weather. Last Monday, DFW turned into a madhouse once ATC started to divert planes heading to DFW and put a hold on takeoffs.

Anyways, I called the EXP desk and the agent refused to put me on a plane to go back home.

Fortunately the AC AAngel had no problem doing the same thing. It took her less than a minute after I explained my predicament.

The next morning I was doing another MR and could not afford not to be back in TPA on the same evenings of days 1 and 2.

Day 1 - TPA-DFW-RNO-DFW-TPA (The DFW-RNO was cancelled and the next flight was hours away, which would mean that I would not get back to TPA until late the following morning.)

Day 2 - TPA-MIA-LAX-MIA-TPA
Day 3 - TPA-MIA-LAX-MIA-TPA

I told the AC AAngel the truth. I was doing a series of MRs and this was just the first day. If I missed Day 2 then I would also miss day 3. She laughed and wished me luck. All she said was that "I was an early MRer, as most do it in December"

Last edited by andrzej; Sep 21, 2007 at 5:15 pm
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, Priority Club Gold, eleVAte, Worldperks
Talking

Originally Posted by SfoDtwFlr
I was booked on a xxx-ORD-JAN-DFW-xxx itinerary today with 4 hours in JAN (I needed to drop of an important proposal and missed the FedEx deadline ) I checked the conditions ORD before buying my ticket this morning and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Unfortunately the inbound aircraft that was taking me to ORD was delayed due to a mechanical issue. After a mad sprint across ORD, I got to my ORD-JAN flight the agent was just closing the door to go down and bring the manifest or whatever. She refused to let me on even though the plane sat there for another 10 minutes before pushing back. (I know, I was too late, but still it is annoying to see the plane you want to be on just sitting there). Because of the limited number of flights to JAN there is now no reason for me to go. However, AA is most unaccommodating. The "friendly" agents at ORD refuse to give me compensation or even a flight back home. They say that I can continue on to JAN but since I will miss my original flight that I will just be stuck there. Is it really AA's policy just to strand me in Chicago or Jackson?
It is not AA's policy to strand you anywhere. It is highly unlikely that AA will provide you with compensation as AA was still able to get you to JAN although later than it would have been worthwhile for you to get there. The AA gate agent should have been more accomadating about rebooking you back to your home city. If you are unable to get the agents in ORD to rebook you back to XXX pm me with your pnr or ticket number and to home you go. Good luck!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:08 pm

Same here (but at DFW on a MR)- Just call, they will take of it. No need to stress if you dont have too. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.