Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Which Would You Choose: YVR-BOS in F? AS->AA via LAX or AA->AA via DFW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

Which is a better all-in choice in F:

1) AS 638 YVR-LAX @ 10:05AM - 1:07PM, connecting to AA 726, LAX-BOS from 3:20PM to 11:45PM; or

2) AA 282 YVR-DFW at 8:50AM - 2:50PM, connecting to AA 306, DFW-BOS from 5:00PM to 9:45?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nologic
Which is a better all-in choice in F:

1) AS 638 YVR-LAX @ 10:05AM - 1:07PM, connecting to AA 726, LAX-BOS from 3:20PM to 11:45PM; or

2) AA 282 YVR-DFW at 8:50AM - 2:50PM, connecting to AA 306, DFW-BOS from 5:00PM to 9:45?
If its available, and your not flying in paid F, why not try for the YVR-JFK on CX, albeit in business or First (60,000 miles) and then connect on AE, or an AA nonstop to JFK and then connect again on AE.

If it is only those flights which you asked about why not take AS, you'll get club access at YVR on a F ticket and the nonstop transcon to BOS will be nicer, it will be flagship service, sadly on the 757, you can hang out in the LAX Flagship Lounge while you wait if the late arrival doesnt trouble you.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; Priority Club-Platinum
Connection in LAX vs. DFW in summer--LAX wins on weather
Long flight on 757 vs. MD-80 in F--757 wins
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
If its available, and your not flying in paid F, why not try for the YVR-JFK on CX, albeit in business or First (60,000 miles) and then connect on AE, or an AA nonstop to JFK and then connect again on AE.
There's no valid AE connection JFK-BOS from the CX YVR-JFK flight.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
CX888 clears US immigration at JFK (rather than pre-cleared at YVR) making the connections at JFK an extra bear...
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie
There's no valid AE connection JFK-BOS from the CX YVR-JFK flight.
Quite right, one could I suppose, if they wanted to deal with the prices of NYC, get a room for the night and fly out in the morning on AE. Getting into BOS at 11:45PM vs. the next morning, all about the price/hassle/schedule factor I would imagine. Or dare I say it, if your up for it, try a cheap one way from JFK on JetBlue the same evening, better than AE any day.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Why not YVR-BOS all on AS? (ok, it's a 737 from SEA-BOS, but the connections look pretty good.) It will give you AA EQM.

YVR-SEA AS2267 6:30 am-7:25 am
SEA-BOS AS12 8:40 am-5:03 pm
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
It's a mileage saver award ticket and no options were available on CX to JFK (or a legal connection to BOS) or AS "all the way" (SEA-BOS). How's AS service from between YVR and LAX? It used to be exceptional (10+ years ago). My guess is LAX-BOS is "better" than DFW-BOS?

Do you clear customs for the US at YVR for either LAX and/or DFW?

What time would you suggest getting to the airport at YVR for either flight, allowing for US customs? At 8:00 or 9:00AM, is US Customs generally a long line for US citizens?

Separately, does YVR offer a premium line for security line? Absent customs, in the US, I would tend to arrive at the airport for a flight like this 45-60 minutes before departure. How would this change flying YVR to either LAX or DFW?

These last two questions have nothing to do with the original question, but do involve travel planning on the return.

On an OT note, has anyone done "jetboating" at Whistler? if you had to choose one experience, would you choose a half day "jetboat" excursion over a 1/2 day of river rafting?

Last edited by nologic; Jun 26, 2007 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
I go to YVR 3x a year. I have done both:
CX JFK-YVR
AA LGA-DFW, DFW-YVR

Usually it depends on the time I need to get in. If I need the extra afternoon I opt for AA.
No premium security line- but it moves fast and they are professional.
You clear at YVR for DFW. Customs & Immigration in YVR is usually not bad in the afternoon on the way out.
On the way in it is easier from the CX flight after midnight. During the day can be long lines.
JFK it is hit or miss. Usually a breeze.

CX has great service and it is an easy flight. Airfares are really low now- Call the 800 number. Less then $400.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by havetoshop
I go to YVR 3x a year. I have done both:
CX JFK-YVR
AA LGA-DFW, DFW-YVR

Usually it depends on the time I need to get in. If I need the extra afternoon I opt for AA. No premium security line- but it moves fast and they are professional. You clear at YVR for DFW. Customs & Immigration in YVR is usually not bad in the afternoon on the way out. On the way in it is easier from the CX flight after midnight. During the day can be long lines.
JFK it is hit or miss. Usually a breeze. CX has great service and it is an easy flight. Airfares are really low now- Call the 800 number. Less then $400.
I am not taking CX, even though I love CX and considered it seriously (even potentially taking JetBlue for $60 extra per person from JFK to BOS on a seperate ticket, and taking our chances on making the connection), but CX doesn't have award space on the days we need in C or F, and it doesn't connect in time for AA's flight to Boston to be a legally ticketed connection (I agree it's a physically doable connection, but they won't ticket it, and the award space isn't available, so it's a moot point, at this point).

As you addressed Customs and Security on the way out in the afternoon, but how about the morning? My two choices are AA to DFW at 8:50 AM or AS to LAX at 10:05 AM, so I am asking about expectations for both US Customs lines and Security lines on AA or AS at YVR, at 8 or 9 AM, seeing that now I know that they don't have premium/elite security priority lines at YVR.

Last edited by nologic; Jun 26, 2007 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
I have left at about 7AM and there was no problem through security or Customs and Immigration. Quite fast and I only had carry-on and nothing to declare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.