Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by vudu
It should be L class, but just going by AA.com reveals that this particular fare earns "0.50 to 1.00 points for every mile flown".
AA.com is *very clear* about the points earned to an AA account in an L fare.

Be sure you do book the A Aflight #s though, if you book w/a QF flight # the flight won't count toward the challenge.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Where exactly did you read L earns 0.5-1.0 EQP?

And hitting PLT flying OZ-JFK RT is nothing.

Many of us have done it on one RT TATL costing 850USD.

It should be L class, but just going by AA.com reveals that this particular fare earns "0.50 to 1.00 points for every mile flown". So im guessing that even if it is a deep discount code then that means that if platinum isn't obtained on arrival at JFK, then it should be on arrival back in MEL???

Surely this is too easy and too good to be true... hitting platinum from one MEL-JFK return trip??? Or is that what everyone in the know does. Cost is barely AUD$2000.

Am i right in saying that you need to do a minimum of 4 segments during the challenge to qualify? Is it still legitimate to rack up the segments in the way i have proposed (i.e. MEL-JFK containing 3 AA segments alone)?

Cheers
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Gamecock

Or less...
Look at post 30 here.
~$600 for 20 months PLT is a bargain ^
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:25 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mentat
I just called AA on this the price went from 489 N to 569 V class, the lady said in order to change this she would need to do over the phone and this incurs a 15 booking fee so my total was 584. A bit of a rip for doing over the phone but I couldn't work out how to do this online. Anyway I will hit Platinum in one trip via the Platinum challenge I've already enrolled in for a bit of extra so I'm pretty happy. This will set me up nicely for the rest of my trips this year.
mentat, these are the two key threads on upfaring:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-purchase.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-code-ita.html

The first relates to upfaring for the purpose of booking an upgradeable fare class (now moot), but also applies to upfaring for the purpose of earning 1.0 EQP/mi on Challenges. The second shows you how you can use ITA to price out your upfared itinerary in advance so you know what the cost differential is.

AA.com Price and Schedule searches will reveal booking codes, but only a subset of booking codes will be available, and often not the cheapest 1.0 EQP/mi fare. That's why you need to call to upfare. However, you should not need to pay a phone booking fee. You should be able to have AA Reservations or Web Services upfare a reservation you have on hold, then you should be able to complete the purchase online. If you get an agent that tells you otherwise, then call back and get another agent. You may find that the upfared itinerary gets re-downfared when you try to purchase online. If so, call AA and explain this and ask them to waive the phone booking fee. If you get an agent who tells you they cannot do so, then call back and get another agent.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock

Dummy booking through AA.com highlighted that the "Standard" fare earns 0.5-1.0 points for every mile flown
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...oints_%28AA%29

and

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr....jsp&locale=en
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Dummy booking through AA.com highlighted that the "Standard" fare earns 0.5-1.0 points for every mile flown
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...oints_%28AA%29

and

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr....jsp&locale=en
True, the EQP varies from 0.5 to 1.5 depending on the fare code. Your previous post, however, implied that the EQP for fare code L varied. It does not. The L fare code on AA will earn 1.0 EQP/mile.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EP
Membership Period

I just want to clarify my understanding of the Wiki with regards to the platinum challenge. If I were to initiate a platinum challenge before 6/16, my platinum status would be valid through February of 2011. On the other hand, if I were to qualify for platinum status normally at any point in 2010, my status would be valid through February of 2012. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Croat30
I just want to clarify my understanding of the Wiki with regards to the platinum challenge. If I were to initiate a platinum challenge before 6/16, my platinum status would be valid through February of 2011. On the other hand, if I were to qualify for platinum status normally at any point in 2010, my status would be valid through February of 2012. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Your understanding is spot on. Start your challenge on/after June 16 for the status to be good through Feb 2012. If you qualify via the regular method the date you qualify doesn't matter. Even if you flew all your 50k miles in Jan 2010 you would still have Platinum status thru Feb 2012
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Membership Periods, Challenge Upgrades, Info from talking with AA today

I called AA today (01/27/2010) to start a Gold challenge.
The representative was very helpful. However, getting to the representative through their voice response system was not easy.

The following is some information most of which is confirmation of what I had researched plus some other information which I didnt necessarily clearly understand before calling especially around upgrading a Challenge and Membership Period. Below is my understanding.

Please let me know if I probably misunderstood something or if I could have utilized different strategy.

Prices: Gold Challenge $80, Platinum Challenge $150, Upgrade Gold Challenge in Progress to a Platinum Challenge $100

Effective Date: I had a choice of 01/16 or 02/01. I asked about starting 01/16 because I already have had 2 flights/segments since 01/16. The agent said those 2 flights/segments would count toward my challenge and at the end of the call she confirmed how many points I already earned toward my challenge.

Payment: She took my credit card number and I believe I was charged immediately.

Membership Period: My challenge ends 04/15 (3 months). If I am successful in my challenge, I earn Gold status through 02/28/2011. If I achieve enough miles, points, or segments to earn Gold without the challenge, regardless of when this achievement occurs (could achieved all in January 2010), then my Gold status would run through 02/29/2012.

Upgrade Gold Challenge in Progress to a Platinum Challenge. If during my Gold challenge period, I achieve enough Elite Qualifying Points (10,000) to have met the Platinum Challenge, I can call *during the challenge period* and upgrade to a Platinum Challenge for an additional $100. The challenge time period remains unchanged.
So the cost of Gold Challenge $80 plus the upgrade of $100 totals $180 compared to the cost of a Platinum Challenge of $150.

If I have a successful Gold Challenge (5,000 points) and then in the second half of 2010, I want to do a Platinum Challenge I need 10,000 points during the Platinum challenge period my 5,000 points earned for Gold do not help. The Platinum Challenge points start from scratch.

My strategy I decided to do Gold first because I could start getting the additional mileage and benefits of Gold once reaching the 5,000 Elite Qualifying Points rather than waiting for 10,000 Elite Qualifying Points to get Platinum benefits. If I get to 10,000 during the period, I will decide at that point whether to call and upgrade to a Platinum Challenge. That decision will be will be dependent upon whether I believe I will be traveling enough to be successful at a Platinum Challenge later in the year which would be best because of membership period being extended to 02/29/2012. If I dont think I could be successful at a subsequent Platinum Challenge, I would upgrade Gold Challenge to Platinum Challenge during my Gold Challenge period - that way I would at least get some time as Platinum.

If at some point I lose my status Platinum status goes down to Gold or Gold status goes down to no status. So getting to Platinum ensures an additional year of status at the Gold level if Platinum isnt maintained.

My understanding (but I didnt talk to the agent about this) is you can do a Platinum Challenge and if you dont reach 10,000 points but you did reach 5,000 points you can call (probably needs to be within the challenge period) and still get Gold status. The downside to this is that you would have paid a Platinum Challenge price which is more expensive than the Gold Challenge price.

This site was incredibly helpful to me. Hopefully, this info is beneficial to others.

Again, please provide feedback if you believe any of this information in incorrect or if there was different strategy I could have considered (or potentially still can).
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:12 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, bshawn! I only gave your post a quick read, but it looks like a great summary to me!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
PLAT for just a few months...is it worth it?

Hi. I'm presently doing a Gold challenge, and, as it turns out, it looks like I'll be able to score a full 10,000 EQP's during the three months. I understand that by paying an additional fee, I can upgrade to a Plat Challenge, and I'll have the Plat status at the end.

BUT, this three months is very unusual for me, in terms of how much flying I'm doing. I'll need to do a few MR's (or, more properly, segment runs) just to fully qualify for Gold. I can't imagine doing enough MR's to reach Plat by the end of the year.

So, my question is: is it worth it to go ahead and upgrade to the Plat challenge, if know that the Plat benefits will only be with me till 02/28/11?

What would you do?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
If you make PLT this year, you will be no lower than GLD for the 2011-2012 year. So, the extra money now gets you higher benefits all year, and status next year too.

You have to decide if that's worth it for YOU.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by negs
Hi. I'm presently doing a Gold challenge, and, as it turns out, it looks like I'll be able to score a full 10,000 EQP's during the three months. I understand that by paying an additional fee, I can upgrade to a Plat Challenge, and I'll have the Plat status at the end.

BUT, this three months is very unusual for me, in terms of how much flying I'm doing. I'll need to do a few MR's (or, more properly, segment runs) just to fully qualify for Gold. I can't imagine doing enough MR's to reach Plat by the end of the year.
Whether it's worth it is an individual decision. But make sure you understand the challenge. You mention doing "segment runs." But the challenge is based entirely on points.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by negs

So, my question is: is it worth it to go ahead and upgrade to the Plat challenge, if know that the Plat benefits will only be with me till 02/28/11?

What would you do?

Thanks!
If you complete the PLT challenge, your PLT benefits last until 2/28/11; but currently the rules allow for a "soft" landing which means you'll drop to GLD in 2011 and have GLD status until 2012.

It would be worth an extra year of status just to save on checked bag fees.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:30 pm

on that note, question regarding making EXP too soon. Would it be the same case as other status's. If i make EXP lets say by MARCH (although i am not lol) will my EXP only be till 2/2011, whereas if i made EXP in August it would last till 2/2012?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.