Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BMI
Doh! So the only benefits I'll get on this trip are the lounge access and some extra miles. =(
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ProggerPete
Doh! So the only benefits I'll get on this trip are the lounge access and some extra miles. =(
And priority boarding, check-in, security lines, coach seating (exit rows), standby priority, etc (assuming you don't already have gold status, which you'd get without the challenge just by EQMs by the time you reach YVR if all that flying was this year).
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ProggerPete
So you coughed up your hard-earned cash for a PLT challenge without knowing what the benefits of being PLT are

Check out the PLT membership guide which you can download from aa.com here so you will be able to get the most out of your new status
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Travel on the start date does count towards the challenge.
^
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by dstan
OK, so apparently the increased fees were, indeed, seasonal, and I see that someone has already updated the wiki accordingly! ^
[my BOLD]
Now I am confused. Thought I have read somewhere that some paid $200 for Plat Challenge fee. Now report said its $150.
If I sign up for June 16 to start, would that be considered high season and fee will be revised back to $200?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:30 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by allset2travel
[my BOLD]
Now I am confused. Thought I have read somewhere that some paid $200 for Plat Challenge fee. Now report said its $150.
If I sign up for June 16 to start, would that be considered high season and fee will be revised back to $200?
That's my guess. And I emphasize guess. But probably a reasonable one.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

For Challenges starting June 16, 2009 or later, fees have been increased to $100 for a Gold Challenge and $200 for a Platinum Challenge, effective May 22, 2009. The cost to upgrade from a Gold Challenge in progress to a Platinum Challenge has also increased to $125. These increases (from $80/150/100) may be seasonal, because there are several reports of $150 Platinum Challenges for December 2009 and January 2010.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Current Plat Challenge Letter 1-13-2010

If whoever manages the Wiki wants to update the letter that's posted I'll send the PDF from AA.

Received 1-13-2010
"Here’s the Info You Requested on Platinum Challenges:

As discussed, we have charged your credit card and put you on a Challenge for AAdvantage Platinum membership. Here are some tips to help you succeed:

Remember that Challenges are based on points, not miles, and your goal is 10,000 points in the three-month period we discussed.
Be sure to fly AA (we know you want to anyway!) since only points earned on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights (including AA codeshare flights operated by other carriers) count toward Challenges.

Select fares with high point values. If, for example, you use Deep Discount Fares, get ready to fly 20,000 miles because those fares earn points at half the rate of miles. But if you buy Discount Fares, the rate is one point per mile and you can meet your Challenge by flying 10,000 elite-qualifying miles. And if you select premium fares, you earn 1.5 points per mile and can meet the Challenge by flying just – OK, you do the math!

Know the point values you’ll earn for the booking codes you select. Yes it may look like alphabet soup, but there’s a point to these codes. In fact, there’s anywhere from 0.5 – 1.5 points!
Earn 1.5 points per mile when the purchased fare on your American Airlines ticket is booked in one of these booking codes: A F P D I J R B C Y
Earn 1.0 point per mile for these AA booking codes: H K L M V W
Earn .5 points per mile for these AA booking codes: G N Q S O (excludes tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O inventory, which are not eligible for mileage credit)

How can you determine what booking code is used for the fare you’re purchasing? Simply ask the booking agent, whether that’s your travel agent, corporate travel planner or AA Reservations representative. Or, even better, when you book your flights on AA.com, the Flight Summary screen displays the booking code in the same column as the cabin booked.

If you have the opportunity to upgrade, good for you! But with respect to the points you will earn, traveling in a premium cabin is not the same as purchasing a premium fare. When you upgrade, the points for your flights are still calculated on the fare and booking code you purchased, not the cabin that you were lucky enough to travel in!

Remember that the fee for your Challenge is nonrefundable – even if circumstances beyond your control (or ours!) prevent you from meeting the goal. But we’re thinking positive thoughts and we know you can do it!

Keep in mind that a Challenge is intended for members who are in a hurry to get to the elite level they desire and begin enjoying their benefits. Think of it as a shortcut to the status you would probably earn on your own during the normal qualification period. Assuming you’re successful, please be prepared to meet the normal criteria when it comes time to requalify for your status, since we offer only limited opportunities to earn status via a Challenge. That’s fair, right? Now you’re all set – Good Luck!"
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
FYI - My cost was $150 and they backdated the start to Jan 1 to include already flown and booked trips.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:00 pm

dstan,
The boxed quote said it all. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
I'm a Kettle going for the Gold for the first time, and...

Hi....

I signed up for a Gold challenge on January 3rd; back-dating it to Jan. 1, 2010. BUT, I never received an email confirming it. Did it really happen? How would I know?

Thanks for your help!!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by negs
Hi....

I signed up for a Gold challenge on January 3rd; back-dating it to Jan. 1, 2010. BUT, I never received an email confirming it. Did it really happen? How would I know?

Thanks for your help!!
I'd call AA.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MtStream
If whoever manages the Wiki wants to update the letter that's posted I'll send the PDF from AA.
The wiki is not managed by anyone. By definition, it's open for anyone and everyone to help maintain.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:09 am

Made gold last year through DEQM, want to do platinum challenge, but have questions..

Hello,

I made gold last year via DEQM. The last time I spoke to someone at AA, I was told I could do the platinum challenge.

Since I'm already at gold, do I still have to earn 10,000 points to bump up to platinum via the challenge, or 5,000 points? I've got some longer flights on tap later this year.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by BritishMusicFan
Hello,

I made gold last year via DEQM. The last time I spoke to someone at AA, I was told I could do the platinum challenge.

Since I'm already at gold, do I still have to earn 10,000 points to bump up to platinum via the challenge, or 5,000 points? I've got some longer flights on tap later this year.

Thanks!
You would have to fly enough to earn 10,000 EQP to get Platinum via challenge. Having the gold status does not give you a "head start" in any way (except that you may score some upgrades and will get the 25% bonus redeemable miles along the way toward completing your challenge).

Happy and safe travels!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by miamigrad
Having the gold status does not give you a "head start" in any way (except that you may score some upgrades and will get the 25% bonus redeemable miles along the way toward completing your challenge).
And the 500 base mile minimum for each flight (meaning 250, 500, or 750 EQPs for flights less than 500 miles, depending on booking code).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.