Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
SFO-MIA is 2585 according to AA
MIA-LIM is 2608.

Total RT is 10,386.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by chrisphx

If so, I am thinking that it would be helpful to either do a challenge on AA (which doesn't seem to be offered right now),
What makes you say that?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD
lol - I read the title as "Status Match while in the Air" - and thought - only on FT would someone try to get comped mid-flight (prolly to get a free drink/snack on eagle)
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
However, the round trip of SFO-MIA-LIM-MIA-SFO is 20,400 actual miles.
Originally Posted by miamigrad
I'm curious.... how are you arriving at 20,400 miles?
According to Great Circle Mapper, this looks like 10,387 miles. On a Q fare, you'd need to do that trip twice, or upfare to a bucket that earns 1.0 EQP/mile if you are going for the Platinum challenge.
Actually, flying on US Air is so painful that miles seem 2x as long -- the OP was counting like that from experience!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GrizShel
She stated they would make me AAdvantage Gold immediately (meaning on the day I start the Platinum challenge). She said all of this would be in writing, however, this is missing from the email she sent me.
Originally Posted by dstan
This has not been the case previously, but IIRC, someone else reported this recently as well, perhaps upthread. It could be that the protocols have changed, but they're still using the old email - compare what you received to what's in the wiki.
I asked about getting Gold immediately when signing up for a Platinum challenge and was told "that's supposed to be for people who have status with other airlines". So I said, "Oh, okay", but then the Aadvantage customer service person said "but I'll do it for you anyway".

Last edited by stheller; Dec 21, 2009 at 9:30 pm Reason: Added context
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF
Actually, flying on US Air is so painful that miles seem 2x as long -- the OP was counting like that from experience!
Good catch on my calculation error. I used webflyer and multiplied by two to get the round trip, but I multiplied from the round trip figure. So it's 10,400 round trip through Miami. Since I only get 50% credit, I should only sign up for the gold challenge.

As for the comment about flying on US Air...at least it's simple - no 50% miles for certain fare classes, etc..

(Of course, one could also say that the ammenities in first class are simple as well. The pretzels and plastic cups up front never get old. )
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
So it's 10,400 round trip through Miami. Since I only get 50% credit, I should only sign up for the gold challenge.
Do you have these tickets booked? Sometimes it is possible to call AA and upfare to a 1pt/mile fare (booking codes H, K, M, L, W, V) for an affordable difference. No harm in checking. Then you can do the Platinum challenge.

Otherwise do the gold challenge right now and the Platinum on/after June 16.

Last edited by aktchi; Dec 21, 2009 at 10:36 pm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
A great suggestion. I have not booked it yet but have until tomorrow to take care of it. I'm still trying to finalize dates.

Do I need to start the challenge before I book? Or would I want to start it a day before I fly out?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:10 pm

A great suggestion. I have not booked it yet but have until tomorrow to take care of it. I'm still trying to finalize dates.

Do I need to start the challenge before I book? Or would I want to start it a day before I fly out?
You can only start a challenge on the 1st or 16th of the month, but you can backdate it to cover flights you have already taken so long as the miles haven't posted yet.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
First call AA and settle if you are going to upfare your ticket - ie, if you'd sign up for the gold or platinum.

Then call AAdvantage desk and sign up for the challenge staring 1st or 16th of a month so that your flight is after the formal start.

For example if your flights begin in December end, then start your challenge on 12/16. If they are in January, then 1/1 would be ok.

[For those trying to qualify in the regular way, the deadline of Dec 31 is everything. For you, it is nothing. ]
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stheller
I asked about getting Gold immediately when signing up for a Platinum challenge and was told "that's supposed to be for people who have status with other airlines". So I said, "Oh, okay", but then the Aadvantage customer service person said "but I'll do it for you anyway".
Oh, that's worth asking for sure!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AA does not offer 50% miles for certain fare classes. The only caveat is that O (Oscar) class fares between North and Latin America arn no miles. (Sic: ** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible.)

But some people do occasionally get confused between Elite-Qualifying Miles, EQ Points and Redeemable (such as bonus, etc.) miles.

<snip>

As for the comment about flying on US Air...at least it's simple - no 50% miles for certain fare classes, etc..

(Of course, one could also say that the ammenities in first class are simple as well. The pretzels and plastic cups up front never get old. )
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:44 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by stheller
Thanks for the info. I'll add some tentative notes about this to the wiki.

Edited to add: Here is the previous post from early Nov 2009:

Originally Posted by al613
I haved called AA today on behalf of a friend who is 1k. i asked to enroll him in Gold Challenge. The rep asked: " Do you want to pay $100 and be enrolled in Gold challenge or pay $200 and get Gold ON THE SPOT and be enrolled in Platinum challenge?" Took the second option
His account was updates already. And they did not ask for any proof of being 1k.

Last edited by dstan; Dec 22, 2009 at 10:49 am
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:50 am

Just called to sign up for Plat challenge for trip next month (leave on the 13th). I was told by the AA rep that challenges beginning on the 1st of Jan aren't open yet and that I should call back on or after the 1st. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, she told me that the current cost is $150 (rather than $200 listed on the Wiki).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by bquinif
Just called to sign up for Plat challenge for trip next month (leave on the 13th). I was told by the AA rep that challenges beginning on the 1st of Jan aren't open yet and that I should call back on or after the 1st. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, she told me that the current cost is $150 (rather than $200 listed on the Wiki).
Yes, it was $150 for me as well. They did tell me I couldn't start it Jan. 1, so I started it December 1st because that gives me enough time to finish the challenge (which will be on Feb 19th on the way back from EZE).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.