Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Concierge Key AA Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: OW Em (AA EXP+5MM), AA CK, Delta Silver, UA 1K
I am fortunate enough this year to get CK for the first time. From my perspective, CK is ALL about the airport experience, not upgrades or onboard.

And the airport experience can be wonderful.

But to the point that others have made, it is not a level above EXP, it is in addition to whatever level of status that you have earned.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: EXP on AA, Plat Premier Marriott and CK on AA
Smile CK is fantastic!

Concierge key is FANTASTIC. Been a member 2 years. I was nominated by my company's travel agents because I fly 2-3 times a week - every week. CK does a great job at helping me get quick upgrades, they automatically book me on the next flight (always upgraded) if a flight is cancelled at the last minute. I live in the south, but when I travel to Chicago, they actually meet me at the gate and let me board the plane before anyone (kind of embarrassing, so I usually say no). Additionally, often at large airports, they always know when I'm flying and they meet me with a very unnecessary electric cart to take me to baggage. One of the best parts is the knowledge level and accomodating service attitude of the CK people on the phone. Overall - a wonderful program. If you have corporate travel planners and travel frequently - ask for the program!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
CK for the first time this year, not sure why I was selected. Service seems to be very uneven. Have been met at the plane for transfer to connecting gate 4 out of 10 times at DFW. 1 for 1 at ORD. Never any indication of status at the gate or on the plane. On the other hand, service during irrop was great. Called the CK line because my ABQ to DFW flight was delay over 2 hours, leaving 15 minute to connect. Agent held 2 upgade seat on the later flight (4 hours later). When we arrived at DFW, CK agent was at gate. She handed us boarding passes for the origional flight and another set of passes for the later flight. Told us to take the train because there was too much foot trafic to use the cart. Said she would call the gate and tell them we were on the way. As we ran to the gate, agent asked if we were aasjcflyer, took our boarding pass and we were the last two on the plane. Great service. ^^
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:30 am

Looks like the CK program is going public:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...air/large.html
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
Looks like the CK program is going public:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...air/large.html
That promo clip looks like an outtake of an FT DO
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by kappa
I think the following quote by an AA FA in another thread is relevant to the subject of this thread about CK:

AA has been making a big deal out of the Key members lately. What we all have been finding very strange is that while AA is going out of their way to act like it is a super elite status they aren't really treating them that way on the actual airplane. 3 times last week we received the special paperwork handoff detailing where the key members were and we were all baffled that they were in coach. If someone is giving you that much business why wouldn't you upgrade them if you could, regardless of points? We had a bunch of deadheading FAs sitting in F while the Keys were jammed in the back at crummy seats. Kind of weird. But, if that's how AA wants to do business, who are we to tell them otherwise? We sent them some PEDs and comped them drinks.

Thats because it isnt super Elite status , it is a day of departure service, if they were on non upgradeable tickets they wont be upgraded. Being CK does not mean that normal ticket rules will be waived.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: EXP on AA, Plat Premier Marriott and CK on AA
Originally Posted by jrhone
Thats because it isnt super Elite status , it is a day of departure service, if they were on non upgradeable tickets they wont be upgraded. Being CK does not mean that normal ticket rules will be waived.
Been CK for awhile now and you are right - it is not super Elite Status; however, it is also definitely not a "day of departure" service. Many times, they have pulled strings to upgrade me when I haven't been upgraded a day or 2 before a flight. Their phone lines are invaluable if you need some extra help getting anything accomplished prior to your departure. I do not just utilize this service on the "day of departure".

Only issue I have is that I told them after all this time with CK, I had never seen anyone in CK at DFW (my home airport). Last wk, they had someone for me on departure and then again, at arrival at DFW! They do listen! At DFW, they primarily concentrate on successful transfers between planes for CK members.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
I've been CK for a while now and I really haven't seen the benefits. The people who staff the CK phones are very nice, but they aren't able to do anything the EXP desk can't do. It is nice to here a polite voice though.

Airport "meet-and-greets" are rare even at the hubs. I get pre-boarded occasionally, but that is, as other posters have noted, a little embarrassing at times. A couple weeks ago the GA wheeled an elderly man, who was going to be pre-boarded, out of the way so I could board. I felt a little uneasy about that.

If AA really wants to do something to warm over the CKs, something like access to the Flagship Lounges, regardless of itinerary, would be a good way to make the airport experience more enjoyable. What would that cost them? The price of a can of beer and some carrot sticks and dip.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:11 pm
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
Does anyone have a sense of over what period AA evaluates someone for CK?

I have started flying on transcons (usually Y-up fares), spending $2000+ every week. If I were to qualify (since no one know the criteria) for CK, does anyone know how long it will take? It would be a shame to have to wait all the way through 2010 to hit the radar when the calendar year ends.

Here is my profile of spending (based on cc statements with AA -- mostly travel vs. food, etc.)

2H 2008: $25k (mostly refundable eagle flights)
2009 YTD: $19k (mix of cheap personal flights and those more expensive)

$10k of the $19 was in the past month and another $20k is expected through the rest of this year. Then another $10k each month in 2010 for the foreseable future.

Any thoughts? I assume there's no point in reaching out to AA directly...
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by LDR
Does anyone have a sense of over what period AA evaluates someone for CK?

I have started flying on transcons (usually Y-up fares), spending $2000+ every week. If I were to qualify (since no one know the criteria) for CK, does anyone know how long it will take? It would be a shame to have to wait all the way through 2010 to hit the radar when the calendar year ends.

Here is my profile of spending (based on cc statements with AA -- mostly travel vs. food, etc.)

$10k of the $19 was in the past month and another $20k is expected through the rest of this year. Then another $10k each month in 2010 for the foreseable future.

I think it's a two step process. First, I think you need to be nominated by your company's travel department (which gets a finite number of nominations from AA), and then AA evaluates your travel history for selection. So just being an ideal candidate might not be enough if you're not on AA's radar.

The other thing that comes to mind that no one has raised yet is whether routes matter. DFW-JFK is a rather wealthy route (Y is often choked with EXPs), while LHR-BOS is quite poor (and facing new competition with VA). So if you're flying a great deal in Y on a poor route, you might be equal to someone flying J on a wealthy route. Given the way other AA promotions work, this seems likely, but it's just a guess.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
I think it's a two step process. First, I think you need to be nominated by your company's travel department (which gets a finite number of nominations from AA), and then AA evaluates your travel history for selection. So just being an ideal candidate might not be enough if you're not on AA's radar.
I have a friend who heads a small firm, 25 million in annual revenue, has no travel department, but has been a CK from the beginning.

Yes, he does fly a lot of expensive fares, J internationally and using his SWU to upgrade into F on the 777.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:16 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer

The other thing that comes to mind that no one has raised yet is whether routes matter. DFW-JFK is a rather wealthy route (Y is often choked with EXPs), while LHR-BOS is quite poor (and facing new competition with VA). So if you're flying a great deal in Y on a poor route, you might be equal to someone flying J on a wealthy route. Given the way other AA promotions work, this seems likely, but it's just a guess.
My understanding is that Concierge Key operates on an April to April basis. Now whether they reguarly review travel patterns within the period I do not know.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
My understanding is that Concierge Key operates on an April to April basis. Now whether they reguarly review travel patterns within the period I do not know.
Membership is May 31st to May 31st, but one can become a member at any date.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by LDR

That may seem like a lot of money by almost any measure but in the world of high priced flyers its not a lot.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
That may seem like a lot of money by almost any measure but in the world of high priced flyers its not a lot.
$19k certainly is a lot of money, but when you consider that a SINGLE full fare F ticket (JFK-LHR) can, depending on the time of year, run anywhere between $14k and $20k, you might understand where AA stands in their evaluation of candidates.

That being said, AA SHOULD recognize that while the person who brings in hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue might need a little more care in a program like CK, the person who buys $19k worth of tickets should receive a level of care that they do not currently enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.