Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, Plat, and EXP for sale via prepaid travel cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Gold, Plat, and EXP for sale via prepaid travel cards

I can't imagine it is possible to be first to post important news that comes in AA email. But i searched for prepaid and pre paid and status with sale and other terms and did not find. So OK here goes, delete if old news.

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/prepa...paidtravelcard

You can prepay for 5,000 or 10,000 or 20,000 of travel and get Gold, Platinum, or EXP. Similar to the promotion last year but new program for 2007.

Again, hope this is news to some, I am considering.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
They are also repeating the status purchase programme from last year whereby you can purchase the same level of status that you had the prior year if you were unable to requalify.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
UA did this last year too.

It honestly doesnt bother me. These people whomever they are are giving AA much more money for the same status as I am. So if it helps the airline and costs me an upgrade or two (not my main focus of status) I am ok with it.

Seriously. Other than self employed business travelers does any FT member pay 10,000 out of their own pocket for only PLAT? I got mine for this year for 1/10 that.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
I can't imagine it is possible to be first to post important news that comes in AA email. But i searched for prepaid and pre paid and status with sale and other terms and did not find. So OK here goes, delete if old news.

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/prepa...paidtravelcard

You can prepay for 5,000 or 10,000 or 20,000 of travel and get Gold, Platinum, or EXP. Similar to the promotion last year but new program for 2007.

Again, hope this is news to some, I am considering.

old news....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=exp+for+sale
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Just out of curiosity, can the cardholder apply the prepaid $ to buy tickets for his family as well? I agree that this is hardly a great deal for the kind of flyer who lingers here, but for a family of four that travels even a little bit, 5/10 grand is not a lot of money and might give the buyer elite status that he wouldn't have otherwise.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
Just out of curiosity, can the cardholder apply the prepaid $ to buy tickets for his family as well? I agree that this is hardly a great deal for the kind of flyer who lingers here, but for a family of four that travels even a little bit, 5/10 grand is not a lot of money and might give the buyer elite status that he wouldn't have otherwise.
The rules seem to say it's for the purchasers use only and cannot be used to buy tickets for anyone else.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by andrzej
That program has already expired. This is new for this year, albeit the same thing as last year.
Either way, it is news that they are offering it again.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
You can read on another open thread here about a FTer who is now stuck with his prepaid travel cards trying to use them......

Here
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
You can read on another open thread here about a FTer who is now stuck with his prepaid travel cards trying to use them......

Here
That's an entirely different thing. The thread you reference is about gift cards (which don't expire--the OP there is just concerned about the carrying costs). The prepaid travel cards that AA offers with status are only good through the end of Feb of the following year.

And have to give props to JGR01 in the original thread for predicting:
maybe they will have anothe promotion - 20K to buy for this year (vs 10K for a half year last time)....
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA-Plt/Lifetime Gold;Marriott-Plt Prem;Hilton-Dia;Hertz-Pres Cir
Seems like a lot of money just for elite status. If you do it the old fashion way, actually fly-butt in seat, might come out cheaper. IMO
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by shanj33
Seems like a lot of money just for elite status. If you do it the old fashion way, actually fly-butt in seat, might come out cheaper. IMO
It is - but if I had $20K worth of trips lined up (say, a RT to Australia in J from NYC for myself and a colleague) it would seem criminal not to take EXP into the bargain.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Last year the program happened at mid year -- not right at the start of the year.

It's too bad there's no discount associated with it (as UA did in previous years) or I'd be interested just for the discount

Steve
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by eamus
It is - but if I had $20K worth of trips lined up (say, a RT to Australia in J from NYC for myself and a colleague) it would seem criminal not to take EXP into the bargain.
The URL specifically says "All purchases on the Card must be made by the Cardholder and for the Cardholder only. The passenger name on any ticket purchased must match the name on the Card. Travel may not be purchased for anyone else, including family, friends or colleagues. "

So, you'd have to be making two trips yourself, but it you were doing that you'd be over half way to making the status anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by eamus
You can't use this to buy travel for a colleague. The rules are specific that the name on all tickets must match that of the cardholder, period. (Otherwise folks would buy a $20K card, get EXP status right away, and pay for friends' and colleagues' travel until it was used up. If it was me, I'd even give 'em a small discount to make up for the affinity card miles they're not earning by paying for the tickets themselves.)
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bernardd

So, you'd have to be making two trips yourself, but it you were doing that you'd be over half way to making the status anyway.
Yes. But if you know that you are going to be booking that level of travel, then by purchasing the card, you can get the status up front rather than having to wait to qualify

Someone spending $20k has a good chance of attaining Executive Platinum anyway ( and if not, then this is imo a type of customer that AA would want to foster loyalty from ) and to tie them into $20k of travel now seems a v wise move on the airline's part

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.