Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, Plat, and EXP for sale via prepaid travel cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by BrianV
Gotta spend the $20k by end of Dec next year; WOW.

I think it is end of this year...2007..
I guess if I was a CEO type and didn't have status I might consider. Can a company buy one and use it to buy other tickets (didn't read the finer details)? I could fly first class all year long (and I'm EXP) and probably not spend $20k anyways.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV
Gotta spend the $20k by end of Dec next year; WOW.

I guess if I was a CEO type and didn't have status I might consider. Can a company buy one and use it to buy other tickets (didn't read the finer details)? I could fly first class all year long (and I'm EXP) and probably not spend $20k anyways.
nope. no sharesies

not with colleagues, not with other airlines... has to be all AA travel, and all in tickets in the name of the cardholder.

given that, it truly is "advancing" status for someone who ought to requalify for real if they actually spend up and fly the card's value...
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes. But if you know that you are going to be booking that level of travel, then by purchasing the card, you can get the status up front rather than having to wait to qualify

Someone spending $20k has a good chance of attaining Executive Platinum anyway ( and if not, then this is imo a type of customer that AA would want to foster loyalty from ) and to tie them into $20k of travel now seems a v wise move on the airline's part

Dave
Yeah, but this gives you EXP now, then with the $20K in tickets, you stand a good chance of getting it for next year.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:04 am

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Worked great for me last year

I bought the EXP version last year, as it coincided with when I started traveling internationally for business, in business class. For me at least, it sort of worked like a guaranteed (by me) EXP status comp, or a super 'EXP challenge.' In exchange for immediately starting to use AA for all my business-class international travel, I got EXP status early.

It was a great deal for me, as I burned through the $10k quickly with a couple J trips to Asia, and got many more miles as a result of being EXP while traveling. It was a great deal for AA, since I flew AA instead of UA or SQ, and still do now since I have since earned 'true' EXP status, so I'm invested in AA. Everybody won.

So I very highly recommend this deal for anyone who is a business traveler and is considering switching to AA from another program, or who is just starting to fly a lot.

I won't do it again this year because now I already have EXP, so no point to it -- unless it came with something extra, like more eVIPs despite already having status. But I would certainly buy another if I had earned less than 100k points last year.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I don't think it's valid on RTW of OW Circle fares. Is it valid for AA codeshares on the likes of CX and JL?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nologic
...it valid for AA codeshares on the likes of CX and JL?
Valid on codeshares, as long as they're booked with the AA flight number.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:24 am

I got mine for this year for 1/10 that.[/QUOTE]

You must of had an outstanding MR (even with a challenge) to get P for $1000.....

How'd you manage?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boeing2027
I got mine for this year for 1/10 that.
You must of had an outstanding MR (even with a challenge) to get P for $1000.....

How'd you manage?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing challenge. $1,000 is really high for a challenge, unless it is flights you were taking anyway. As a pure mileage run, I would be looking for something around $400.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yeah, but this gives you EXP now, then with the $20K in tickets, you stand a good chance of getting it for next year.
Exactly!

I think it's a terrific opportunity for some and I'm going to tell a friend of mine about it.
She recently got a new job where she will be flying to Asia about 6 times a year. Her company pays Biz Class, so no worry about needing EXP for a comfy seat but having the EXP right away will get her higher bonus miles on the early trips and perhaps even an upgrade or two to First Class.

I'm jealous I can't take advantage of it!

To the OP, thanks for the post!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM),BA Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
Valid on codeshares, as long as they're booked with the AA flight number.
And AA codeshares aren't always a bargain. using AA and AA codeshare (on BA or IB) to someplace like JNB is up to $3000 higher than buying the same ticket on other OW carriers without using codeshare. So there can be an added cost to using the pre-paid program. Worth understanding the cost of the travel you will be doing.

It would be nice though if they had something to incent current EXPs rather than just bringing in new ones.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by gemac

How'd you manage?

I'm guessing challenge. $1,000 is really high for a challenge, unless it is flights you were taking anyway. As a pure mileage run, I would be looking for something around $400.
Actual its a quote of my post. I had 50800+ eqm for $1008 last year. 3 trips to pdx, 2 to phx. 1 to den, 1 to aca from atl.

The aca trip was a mistake fare. The others were just mileage runs and trips I was doing anyway.

After requal in late September I did still buy a couple more tickets for bonuses and what not but they all came after I requalled and did raise my cpeqm.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Too late for me. My heavy travel started prior to this being announced... I might well have done it instead of a challenge....
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:00 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You could not use this card to purchase a DONE4 since
. . .

A DONE3 would not meet this requirement

Dave
Why not? If you booked the DONE3 or DONE4 with all AA flights or AA codeshares, and ticketed it through AA on AA stock, it seems to meet the requirements. Of course, you could not do some of the fancy stuff a lot of people do, like ticketing through Cathay in some out-of-the-way country. Still, if you ticket via an AA ticket office, and all of the flights in the itinerary are AA flights or codeshares, I would think you could use the card to buy a DONE3/4.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
Why not? If you booked the DONE3 or DONE4 with all AA flights or AA codeshares, and ticketed it through AA on AA stock, it seems to meet the requirements. Of course, you could not do some of the fancy stuff a lot of people do, like ticketing through Cathay in some out-of-the-way country. Still, if you ticket via an AA ticket office, and all of the flights in the itinerary are AA flights or codeshares, I would think you could use the card to buy a DONE3/4.
how does one get from Asia to Europe on an AA codeshare?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
Question What would you do?

Okay - so 2 part question, I'm trying to convince myself whether or not it's worth it to buy this - I travel regularly and will cross (or need a MR to cross) 100k this year for the first time - regularly cross 50k, so I am a PLAT. My travel, booked reasonably well, would cost me approx $13-$15k. Throw in some personal trips and I'd probably hit $17.5k without sweating too much... The last $2.5k before the end of year may be a stretch...

OTOH - I will cross 100k BIS miles around Oct/Nov of this year... so what would you do - buy it [own my business and can spend the cash] OR earn it?!

Secondly - does anyone know if you get double miles for this if you use the CITI AAdvantage Business cards? The 40k miles may push me over the edge...

Thanks
Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.