Wiki Posts
Search

Money back on AA gift certificates?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Money back on AA gift certificates?

Has anyone had any experience with this: buying a fully refundable ticket, paying with gift certificates, and then canceling the ticket? What do you receive in return- cash/check or voucher/future credit?

I would like to free up some of the money I have sitting in AA gift cards if I can without taking a financial hit.

I was on a flight that got canceled a few weeks ago due to weather. Since I couldn't get out until Sunday from my original departure date of Friday, I decided to cancel the entire trip since I was going on a weekend trip. I received a check in the mail for the ticket I had purchased with some gift certificates. Which got me thinking…….

Last edited by edbyu; Jan 31, 2007 at 10:00 am
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, US Air- CP, United 1P, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
why would you go through all of this , gift cards are the same as vouchers. Gift cards are even better because you can redeem them online and vouchers have to be mailed in or taken to the airport.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
Originally Posted by xflyboy2005x
why would you go through all of this , gift cards are the same as vouchers. Gift cards are even better because you can redeem them online and vouchers have to be mailed in or taken to the airport.
I think the OPs point is that they want to get CASH or CHECK for their gift cards. Unfortunately I do not have experience with the scenario the OP is referring to.

Also correct me if i'm wrong but I thought that using vouchers was better than gift cards for the reasons of not having to pay all of the tax portions? Maybe I have this wrong and someone can correct me.

E
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I'm wondering what you get in return after canceling a fully refundable ticket purchased with gift cards- cash/check or credit/voucher with AA? I want the cash back.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
It begs the question, why do you have so many GCs to begin with?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, US Air- CP, United 1P, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
If you receive a voucher because you are bumped from a flight or for any other compensation reason you do not have to pay taxes. If you receive a voucher for a refund or for a differance in fare then that voucher gets taxed on.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
It begs the question, why do you have so many GCs to begin with?
A few months ago a lot of us purchased $2.5 grand worth and since most of my travel is for business and must be put on the corporate card....

Last edited by edbyu; Jan 31, 2007 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by edbyu
A few months ago a lot of us purchased $2,500 grand worth and since most of my travel is for business and must be put on the corporate card....
I sure hope it wasn't $2,500 grand, because I wouldn't want to be sitting on $2.5 million in GCs

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
I sure hope it wasn't $2,500 grand, because I wouldn't want to be sitting on $2.5 million in GCs

Cheers.
Good point
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
A few months ago a lot of us purchased $2.5 grand worth and since most of my travel is for business and must be put on the corporate card....
And I'm betting it had something to do with a little anniversary bonus

FWIW - I spent my GCs within 1 week of getting them. I'm about to get more (since it essentially means 3 miles/$ spent (2 at GC.com, 1 through Citi).
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is a little off-topic, but there are some pretty nice mileage runs available at this time of year. Why not use your excess gift cards to make certain you step up to EXP this year? Even if your business flying just barely gets you to PLT, this should be plenty to achieve EXP. Even better than MRs would be long weekends in Paris, Rome, Dublin, London, Madrid. Life is to be lived. Go for it.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
afaik, gift cards can only be refunded as vouchers. That's what the CS told me in the case of a rule 80 cancellation and in the case of a rollover. Don't know about refundable tickets, but I think this is an issue of the form of payment and should also be voucher-only.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
This is a little off-topic, but there are some pretty nice mileage runs available at this time of year. Why not use your excess gift cards to make certain you step up to EXP this year? Even if your business flying just barely gets you to PLT, this should be plenty to achieve EXP. Even better than MRs would be long weekends in Paris, Rome, Dublin, London, Madrid. Life is to be lived. Go for it.
I would love to do that. TRUST me. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong profession- accounting and as an accountant having money sitting not earning interest is killing me. Bad time of the year!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would love to do that. TRUST me. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong profession- accounting and as an accountant having money sitting not earning interest is killing me. Bad time of the year!
As a fellow accountant, I can certainly sympathize. You can console yourself with the thought that at today's interest rates, the interest you must forgo is certainly a de minimus amount and not material.

In your case, I would suggest a number of mini-vacations when you are not so busy, to rest the body and restore the soul. The Caribbean, South America, and Asia are often good destinations later in the year.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
As a fellow accountant, I can certainly sympathize. You can console yourself with the thought that at today's interest rates, the interest you must forgo is certainly a de minimus amount and not material.

In your case, I would suggest a number of mini-vacations when you are not so busy, to rest the body and restore the soul. The Caribbean, South America, and Asia are often good destinations later in the year.
De minimus. Good times indeed. I think I need to be paid more and then the interest would not be material. Someone please tell my head partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.