Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How many citi cards can I have simultaneously and still get the bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:51 pm
BCH
Original Poster

Hello. I know it's possible with Chase United cards, to get up to 4 and get bonus for each one. Anyone have any experience with CITI AA cards? Thanks!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A number of us have at least two (a "metal" personal card and the business card,) and a few seem to be able to dump the card periodically and get the bonus again later. So, I can say two safely, and perhaps as many as they offer you - what's your FICO score? Or are you one of those "deadbeats" who pays off your card(s) every month?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
what's your FICO score? Or are you one of those "deadbeats" who pays off your card(s) every month?
Won't help. The inquiries'll kill ya. I'm one of these who does pay off, but I've seen the effects of inquiries with a new mortage and some recently-opened bank accounts.

Cheers.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

why it affects bank accounts ?

Originally Posted by brp
Won't help. The inquiries'll kill ya. I'm one of these who does pay off, but I've seen the effects of inquiries with a new mortage and some recently-opened bank accounts.

Cheers.
I can see it affects mortgage, refinancing, and car loan. Some said it even affects insurance - that I dont understand why. But bank accounts ? What is the FICO to do with opening a bank account - dont you have to put money into your bank account in order to have one open whether it is a checking, money market or saving account ?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I can see it affects mortgage, refinancing, and car loan. Some said it even affects insurance - that I dont understand why. But bank accounts ? What is the FICO to do with opening a bank account - dont you have to put money into your bank account in order to have one open whether it is a checking, money market or saving account ?
Tell me about it...this is new to me...but happened. Went to open an account online for an inconveniently-located bank (they have ATM cards where you can use any ATM anywhere and they will reimburse all fees). It was rejected online, even though I have a high FICO score, and more than enough cash to cover it. The reason" too many recent inquiries and accounts opened...which I have done as we bought a new house. Had to go to the bank where they don't do the FICO check.

The real reason, I think, in this case, is actually to protect me. If someone is using my identity to open accounts for nefarious purposes...well, the want to see the real me before they open the account. Reduces the fraud possibilities.

So, yes, it is true in certain cases.

Cheers.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What's in the cards? Miles!

Though Fair Isaac are obviously trying to sell you a product at this site, there is good information on FICO scores and what affects them here.

Two of the factors than could be affected by adding / dropping cards include:

New Credit
Number of recently opened accounts, and proportion of accounts that are recently opened, by type of account
Number of recent credit inquiries
Time since recent account opening(s), by type of account
Time since credit inquiry(s)
Re-establishment of positive credit history following past payment problems

Types of Credit Used
Number of (presence, prevalence, and recent information on) various types of accounts (credit cards, retail accounts, installment loans, mortgage, consumer finance accounts, etc.)

"What's In Your Score", Fair Isaac Corporation.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by BCH
Hello. I know it's possible with Chase United cards, to get up to 4 and get bonus for each one. Anyone have any experience with CITI AA cards? Thanks!!!!
I have 2 cards and a business one. Bonuses on all of them.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Excuse me gentlemen!

Since this thread has been hijacked to FICO scores, I'll answer the original question. I currently have 2 active personal Citibank AA Platinum Mastercards, a business Citibank Visa card and have just received a Citibank AA Amex card. I have collected 60k bonus miles on the 3 Mastercard and Visa within the last year. I am awaiting 15k on the Amex card.

So to answer your question, Yes you can have multiple active Cards from Citibank. If your not buying a home or refinancing in the near future and your FICO score is not an immediate concern. You can just apply after all, all they can say is no.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
If you pay with cash, who cares about a FICO score. If you need a mortgage get one that does manual underwriting.

A few years a go I had two Citibank cards and tried for a third for a special they were running. They told me that you can only have two accounts at a time. They let me cancel one and opened up the new one I wanted.
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejs621
Since this thread has been hijacked to FICO scores, I'll answer the original question. I currently have 2 active personal Citibank AA Platinum Mastercards, a business Citibank Visa card and have just received a Citibank AA Amex card. I have collected 60k bonus miles on the 3 Mastercard and Visa within the last year. I am awaiting 15k on the Amex card.

So to answer your question, Yes you can have multiple active Cards from Citibank. If your not buying a home or refinancing in the near future and your FICO score is not an immediate concern. You can just apply after all, all they can say is no.
Relax. FICO scores may be relevant to the OP, and is not a hijack, just another related point.

Oh yeah, it's "If you're not buying..." as opposed to "If your not buying..."

Cheers.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
If you pay with cash, who cares about a FICO score. If you need a mortgage get one that does manual underwriting.
At a higher rate. No thanks. My FICO score got me a very good rate on a mortgage, thank you very much.

Besides, if you pay with cash, you miss out on all the miles and/or hotel points

Cheers.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
FICO score= I love debt score.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA Plat 2 MM, Marriott Ambassador & LTP, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Hilton Gold, United Silver
So, if you have a citibank non-AA account, and order a Citibank AA card, they give u the option to provide your existing info (aka they lookup their existing info). Does that avoid a credit inquiry?
Thx,
-Shaown
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Smile Your ABSOLUTELY right!

Originally Posted by brp
Relax. FICO scores may be relevant to the OP, and is not a hijack, just another related point.

Oh yeah, it's "If you're not buying..." as opposed to "If your not buying..."

Cheers.
Don't believe I read any concern from the OP about FICO scores, just a question about the number of Citibank cards.

Just a note....it is The reason "too many recent inquiries and accounts opened"...as opposed to The reason" too many recent inquiries and accounts opened...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.