Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How many citi cards can I have simultaneously and still get the bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many citi cards can I have simultaneously and still get the bonus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I received an offer in the mail this week for a Citi "Bronze" AAdvantage card for students that gives 2,500 miles after first purchase (it has no annual fee but only awards 1 mile/$2.00).

I am currently using a Citi card that gives 1 mile/$1.00 spent (and am using it to pay for tuition before the financial aid comes in--when it does, the University, seeing that the tuition is paid in full, sends me a difference check which I use to pay off the credit card).

So going back to the OP, since I already have a Citi AAdvantage card, is it possible for me to apply for the Bronze card just to get the 2,500 bonus miles?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by sonmai
So going back to the OP, since I already have a Citi AAdvantage card, is it possible for me to apply for the Bronze card just to get the 2,500 bonus miles?
Why would you want to? Apply for the new Citi AA Amex for 15k bonus miles.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:25 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by shaown
So, if you have a citibank non-AA account, and order a Citibank AA card, they give u the option to provide your existing info (aka they lookup their existing info). Does that avoid a credit inquiry?
Thx,
-Shaown
No, they still check your credit.

Back to OP's question, I have 2 Citi cards but have changed the "kind" a few times, and surprisingly have received bonus for each.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ejs621
Don't believe I read any concern from the OP about FICO scores, just a question about the number of Citibank cards.
I see. It seems you've missed the point about how things work here. Very understandable. When someone asks a question, people here provide answers. people also try to add things that might also be related to the question, although not directly, thereby adding to the answer and bringing up things the OP may not have considered. Read a few more threads here; you'll see that.

Just a note....it is The reason "too many recent inquiries and accounts opened"...as opposed to The reason" too many recent inquiries and accounts opened...
. I sure hope you're not equating missing typing a double-quote with simply poor grammar, because that would be silly.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Feb 18, 2006 at 2:02 am
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I see. It seems you've missed the point about how things work here. Very understandable. When someone asks a question, people here provide answers. people also try to add things that might also be related to the question, although not directly, thereby adding to the answer and bringing up things the OP may not have considered. Read a few more threads here; you'll see that.

. I sure hope you're not equating missing typing a double-quote with simply poor grammar, because that would be silly.

Cheers.
I was equating one criticizing another when the person that unleashes the criticism is error prone also!

Don't you agree that is SILLY!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:35 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was equating one criticizing another when the person that unleashes the criticism is error prone also!

Don't you agree that is SILLY!
Yeah, it is. However, mine was not intended as criticism, really. Many people use improper written grammar. If I'm going to post anyway, I try to do my past to correct obvious grammar errors. Typos? Naw, they happen and are irrelevant; not the same kind of error, IMO. Just my thing. Trying to raise the collective writing level .

Anyway, points made and I think we can be done with this.

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Yeah, it is. However, mine was not intended as criticism, really. Many people use improper written grammar. If I'm going to post anyway, I try to do my past to correct obvious grammar errors. Typos? Naw, they happen and are irrelevant; not the same kind of error, IMO. Just my thing. Trying to raise the collective writing level .

Anyway, points made and I think we can be done with this.

Cheers.
Well, it was taken as criticism. I do agree we are done with this!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it was taken as criticism. I do agree we are done with this!
Ok, onto more productive topics. Your sig says "AA Advantage". It's time for you to do a challenge or something and get some status

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when you changed the "kind", did you do a new application or simply switched ?

Originally Posted by PokerHammy
No, they still check your credit.

Back to OP's question, I have 2 Citi cards but have changed the "kind" a few times, and surprisingly have received bonus for each.
I have done "switching" from AA card to Dividend card but I have never done any switching to a card that has sign-up bonus. I am under the impression that for the sign up bonus you have to actually "apply" it, online or via phone in order to get the bonus, simply "switching" would get you the new card without credit inquiry (told by the CSR), BUT do not give you the sign up bonus.

What have been your experiences ? TIA for clarification.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:29 am
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by brp
Ok, onto more productive topics. Your sig says "AA Advantage". It's time for you to do a challenge or something and get some status

Cheers.
Some choose to flaunt their status, I do not.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some choose to flaunt their status, I do not.
Wow, relax. I was trying to be lighthearted. jeez. And it can help to have status listed for question answers. "because you are XYZ, you will have access to...". Sorry you see it as "flaunting". Oh well.

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Wow, relax. I was trying to be lighthearted. jeez. And it can help to have status listed for question answers. "because you are XYZ, you will have access to...". Sorry you see it as "flaunting". Oh well.

Cheers.
I would agree. Since the answer to many questions depends on status level, it is only reasonable to list status level so that others can give you the right answer. It is also a reasonable assumption that if the person asking the question does not list their status level, they do not have status. There are lots of annoying things in life, and one of them is to craft an answer to a question for someone (which can take 15 or 20 minutes), and then have them say "Oh, I forgot to say that I am EXP", which would have taken them about 30 seconds to add to their profile, and which makes your carefully crafted answer to their question gibberish. In my opinion, it isn't flaunting, it's common courtesy. I don't really think you can flaunt status on Flyertalk, because others here have so much they don't really think your status makes you exceptional. Just my opinion.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I guess that is a difference of opinion here, which IMO is why we come together as a community to exchange information and viewpoints. I think some people might apply for multiple cards without realizing long-term or other implications to their personal finances, since I have some working knowledge of the organizations or processes I mention. The information might be superfluous to some, of interest to others, thinking of "more cards = more miles." When you become a moderator, you can decide if I hijacked the thread and do something conrete about it; for now, it's just an opinion.

Cheers.

Don't believe I read any concern from the OP about FICO scores, just a question about the number of Citibank cards.

Just a note....it is The reason "too many recent inquiries and accounts opened"...as opposed to The reason" too many recent inquiries and accounts opened...
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Parenthetically, I'd check beyond a CSR to see if you generate any credit activity applying for a new (switched) account. Mind you, an occasional check onto your status, opening or closing an account are not critical to your credit score - and you can check these things by reviewing (for free) your credit information from the three major agencies annually, as well as any time you are denied (or for a fee any time.)

But switching may, or may often not, result in getting bonus miles. Best way: if you are going to switch, ask for the miles; they may be better inclined incentivize you if they feel there is any expressed ambivalence, or the possibility you will just leave.

Originally Posted by Happy
I have done "switching" from AA card to Dividend card several times but I have never done any switching to a card that has sign-up bonus. I am under the impression that for the sign up bonus you have to actually "apply" it, online or via phone in order to get the bonus, simply "switching" would get you the new card without credit inquiry (told by the CSR), BUT do not give you the sign up bonus.

What have been your experiences ? TIA for clarification.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks JDiver - There are several occasions the CSR actually suggesting the "switching", touting the benefit of not generating a credit inquiry.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.