Community
Wiki Posts
Search

regulations for frozen fish as checked luggage??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:59 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

regulations for frozen fish as checked luggage??

Phoned AA and asked the question and didn't like my answer. They said that perishable frozed food must be packed in dry ice with a special vented freezer box. Also an extra $40 fee.

I have checked boxes of frozen fish many times with NWA from Alaska to Grand Rapids (regulation freezer boxes) as luggage and never had a fee or had to use dry ice.

This time I want to check about 20 lbs of frozen shrip from Corpus Christi to Grand Rapids. The shrimp would be in freezer bags, wrapped in newspaper, taped shut, put in styraphome freezer box , and then put into a special waxed, heavy duty carboard freezer box.

Last year with just 8 lbs, I just wrapped the packets of frozen shrimp in newpaper, taped it up good and then around my clothes, and everything came out great.

If I use a freezer box, do I have to use dry ice????
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:20 am

And then do you eat that shrimp, after wrapping it in clothing? Just curious.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:27 am

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
we used to--years ago--travel with a checked bag of frozen meat--till the time we ddn't get the bag for a week....
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
when going to the fishing camp in colorado, i often buy meat, freeze it, put it in soft coolers inside of a duffle bag, check it, and hope it isn't left on rhe apron in den....

i check the meat before putting it in the freezer upon arrival....

i would do something similar w/fish....
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:38 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by skylady
More importantly, do you wear the clothing after wrapping it around shrimp?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Probably not - they look so cu-u-ute dressed up that way!

(The proper answer is going to be interesting.)

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
More importantly, do you wear the clothing after wrapping it around shrimp?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
You can do the special handling or....

fly through an airport like DFW with our nearly 80 degree afternoons and hope for the best. Sure a lot of people fly frozen food products unofficially, but that doesn't protect you against the 'what ifs'. It's only January. The way this 'winter' is going, it's going to be over 90 degrees on those DFW ramps very soon.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: AA PLT
Last time my husband flew back from Alaska with frozen salmon, it had to be on dry ice and we had to pay a fee. I thought it was just an excess luggage fee at the time. They probably have had some bad (smelly) incidents.
My business partner did the packing fish with cold packs in your luggage thing once--the only time his bag was ever lost. He got it a week later. Everything had to go in the trash. So I don't recommend that.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
racheal....perhaps dry ice wouldn't last for a week?

another thing i do, is to put quail or doves in zip locks and the zip locks in trash bags....i have often done this and carried one soft cooler on board....
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Might I remind the OP that NWA is in bankruptcy, AA is not! Maybe this is the charge that kept AA out of it.

And as always, not intending to be rude but if NWA treats you better, why didn't you book your flight with them?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:29 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skylady
Yes Or even wear the clothing after the shrimp wrap.

The shrimp were frozen flat with some water in a zip-lock freezer bag. Then wrapped in newspaper, then taped shut, put into another zip-lock bag. Then wrapped around clothes.

Yes, we were very lucky everything come through frozen. But **** happens which is why I am trying to find out if I have to use dry ice with the special vented freezer box, and $40 fee.

I want to use a regular regulation freeezer box, --newspaper wrapped, zip-locked frozen shrimp, put in a styrofoam box then put into a waxed heavy duty carboard box. Will AA let me do this????
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: 1MM, AA Plat, IC Gold Ambassador, HHonors, etc.
It doesn't seem like all that many years ago when flying with frozen food in coolers [especially to atypical caribbean destinations] was the norm. You used to see a ton of them being checked as baggage. Never had a problem. Never had a fee.

Might it be cheaper to pack up the stuff and ship it via FedEx? Or do that freebie Citibank shipping deal if it's still available?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:49 am
Original Member
Original Poster

""I want to use a regular regulation freeezer box, --newspaper wrapped, zip-locked frozen shrimp, put in a styrofoam box then put into a waxed heavy duty carboard box. Will AA let me do this????""

Just called AA at Corpus Christi Airport and they said the regular freezer box should be fine. I have to sign a waver. The $40 fee is if I want to ship it with dry ice.

Thanks everyone. Flying with frozen fish can always be a risky thing. I would just rather have it in a box instead of my clothes.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:15 am
rhl

Programs: 2m miler, PLT for life
When we go from SJD up to the states with fish it's just frozen in a hard sided cooler. No extra ice or dry ice. They don't accept styrofoam containers here and announce it upon arrival in SJD. We've never had to pay an extra fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.