Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 hour morning lay-over @ DFW....suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:57 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

6 hour morning lay-over @ DFW....suggestions?

We are flying from Sea-Dfw-Bjx with a 6 hour lay-over at DFW. We arrive at 5AM in DFW.... I do have a pass to the CO P.C. lounge and thought if we can't think of anything better would just hole up in there for the time... is there something more adventuresome to do at or around the airport at that time of the day?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The AA Museum is close by and apaprently a crew bus or something like that can take you there for free. There have been recent threads on this here. A day pass at the AC might be nice, even a shower etc. (with a friend even).
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Try getting over to the Gaylord Texan for some breakfast. Getting in at 5 a.m. your options are limited as none of the shopping malls open until 10 a.m.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:21 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by chsb
Try getting over to the Gaylord Texan for some breakfast. Getting in at 5 a.m. your options are limited as none of the shopping malls open until 10 a.m.
Don't blow an expensive taxi fare - 2 ways, for the Gaylord, unlikely to shuttle you unless you're a guest. The new Hyatt near the also new Terminal D serves a lovely and no more pricy breakfast, and for lack of better, the early morning train ride around the entire loop would be relaxing (and scenic for plane spotters, I suppose, although DFW is not home to as many types as some other airports). Relax in the club, and consider that layovers are at least more comfortable than they were 40 years ago. The AA museum is a prospect, but ask the club sttendant to check on crew bus/employee transport access (which may be limited due to insurance requirements).

TMO
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:06 pm

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Don't blow an expensive taxi fare - 2 ways, for the Gaylord, unlikely to shuttle you unless you're a guest. The new Hyatt near the also new Terminal D serves a lovely and no more pricy breakfast, and for lack of better, the early morning train ride around the entire loop would be relaxing (and scenic for plane spotters, I suppose, although DFW is not home to as many types as some other airports). Relax in the club, and consider that layovers are at least more comfortable than they were 40 years ago. The AA museum is a prospect, but ask the club sttendant to check on crew bus/employee transport access (which may be limited due to insurance requirements).

TMO
The CR Smith museum is open from 10-6, Tues-Sat. If you are a fAAn of AA(there seems to be less and less these days) or commercial aviation you might like it. The mueseum is staffed with retired employees who volunteer their time and they are great to talk to. When I lived in the Big D full time, I always took VFRs to the place. They loved it and it always kind of relit my inner fire for AA, like I felt when I first got hired there. My favorite exhibit is the Flagship Knoxville DC-3 that was restored and is now on display.

If you elect to go to Grapevine Mills mall, they do offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport.

However, either place will not open until late morning.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:25 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Take a bunch of rides on the new Tram! Ride one way twice and then go back the other way twice. That should kill . maybe an hour! Then explore the new D terminal if you are there after the end of Oct when it will be in use...

Seriously there is not much to do at that time of morning (outside the airport).

I agree for $50 a one day pass to the Admirals Club maybe just the best choice.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by david4455
We are flying from Sea-Dfw-Bjx with a 6 hour lay-over at DFW. We arrive at 5AM in DFW.... I do have a pass to the CO P.C. lounge and thought if we can't think of anything better would just hole up in there for the time... is there something more adventuresome to do at or around the airport at that time of the day?
The spa at the Four Seasons Las Colinas is world class. It is a short taxi ride away but make reservations.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I agree with the idea of a breakfast at the Grand Hyatt

You can also check to see if you can buy a one day pass for the health club there. I love the Gaylord, but agree about the taxi fares. Worth it to see the place, however.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Here is what I do. I just hope too many people won't start doing it after I post this (thereby ruining my fun).

1.) Go outside of C around 7am
2.) Come back in through security
3.) Repeat (and try to beat your record!)

A variation:

1.) Go outside of C around 7am
2.) Walk up to a coach AAgent and say you want to 'verify your return trip'
3.) Come back in through security
4.) Repeat (and try to beat your record!)

I'm getting excited just thinking about all those endless hours of fun.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The AA Museum is close by and apaprently a crew bus or something like that can take you there for free. There have been recent threads on this here. A day pass at the AC might be nice, even a shower etc. (with a friend even).
There is a bus that you can catch at one of the park and rides but i'm not sure which one it is. It will take to the museum along with stops where AMR Corp is.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:40 pm

Fishing fun

If you are a fishing fan, check out the Bass Pro Shop just north of the airport. Probably a 3-5 minute taxi ride, at most.

And if you're really sneaky, go next door to the Embassy Suites and see if you can talk your way into a free breakfast.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Originally Posted by mmhicks
If you are a fishing fan, check out the Bass Pro Shop just north of the airport. Probably a 3-5 minute taxi ride, at most.

And if you're really sneaky, go next door to the Embassy Suites and see if you can talk your way into a free breakfast.
I believe there is an $18 minimum taxi fee for departures from DFW so keep that in mind.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
but Bass Pro Shop is worth it!

Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
I believe there is an $18 minimum taxi fee for departures from DFW so keep that in mind.
If for no other reason that to see the vending machine that sells live bait!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Everyone needs to remember the OP gets into DFW at 5 a.m. and has a 6 hour layover which means his flight leaves at 11 a.m. Not much time to visit anything that opens at 10 a.m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.