Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Paid First in Danger of Misconnecting, Why does AA Protect me in Coach?

Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Yesterday I was flying MGA-MIA-ORD and then today ORD-RDU. I was in paid Business/First (I for MGA-MIA then A for the rest). MGA-MIA ended up delayed almost 90 minutes and I was in danger of misconnecting, thankfully MIA-ORD also delayed so I didn't. However, while flying up to Miami, I looked at my AA reservation and saw I was protected on an AA nonstop this morning to RDU but in coach. As the flight had plenty of First seats (even now, 90 minutes to departure, the flight they wanted to put me on is F6A5P6), why would they accommodate a F passenger this way?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Yesterday I was flying MGA-MIA-ORD and then today ORD-RDU. I was in paid Business/First (I for MGA-MIA then A for the rest). MGA-MIA ended up delayed almost 90 minutes and I was in danger of misconnecting, thankfully MIA-ORD also delayed so I didn't. However, while flying up to Miami, I looked at my AA reservation and saw I was protected on an AA nonstop this morning to RDU but in coach. As the flight had plenty of First seats (even now, 90 minutes to departure, the flight they wanted to put me on is F6A5P6), why would they accommodate a F passenger this way?
Depends on the fare. Not all paid First/Business are truly that and in cases of misconnect, the fare rules dictate where you'd be.

If the fare did truly book into a higher class - perhaps they just held a coach seat just in case and would deal with getting you moved up in the event you actually misconnected.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by reeg2
Depends on the fare. Not all paid First/Business are truly that and in cases of misconnect, the fare rules dictate where you'd be.

If the fare did truly book into a higher class - perhaps they just held a coach seat just in case and would deal with getting you moved up in the event you actually misconnected.
Possibly, but they had me rebooked as a B Fare when the one I bought was a I-fare of some kind so presumably they put me in a more expensive fare class. Anyway, seemed weird to me.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
I've seen something similar before, and I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the fact that you're not in a full fare first class ticket. Perhaps, there were only "F" fares available on the new flight, which is why you were rebooked into economy.

This is an absolutely ridiculous policy, by the way. It shouldn't matter at all if it's a discount first or business class fare versus a full fare. When someone books a discount economy fare, such as N, Q, O, or anything else and that person needs to be protected, will AA only rebook onto a flight that has the same fare class available? Of course not. People get rebooked into B or Y all the time. So why should it be any different for first or business class?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
now, 90 minutes to departure, the flight they wanted to put me on is F6A5P6), why would they accommodate a F passenger this way?
Possibly, but they had me rebooked as a B Fare when the one I bought was a I-fare of some kind so presumably they put me in a more expensive fare class. Anyway, seemed weird to me.
You had an *I* fare? That books to A on domestic first class. (It is not an F fare) AFAIK, this requires no 'special handling', it should be automatic.

Oddly, the target flight has A inventory... I can only assume the software doesnt take care of travelers the same way the EP desk with a human can. Ive never had an issue booking protection in the proper cabin but typically do it over the phone or have my agent do it for me (via text/wifi if I am in the air)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Without looking at the reservation a number of things could have happened between auto-reaccomodation and this thread. People could have rebooked on to different options, people might have been separated and were rebooked together (another flight or voluntary downgrade). Since you looked this morning, it's possible they had protected people on the flight and they made the connection and cancelled the back-up option. Many legitimate reasons this could have happened.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thumbs up

An I fare is a first class fare for domestic travel on 2 class aeroplanes. It does not have to be fare basis F to be a 1st class fare

When a misconnection occurs, rebooking a 1st class passenger into economy if there are seats in 1st is not acceptable imo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.