Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2005, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
I have a One World Award on hold and after rereading through a couple threads I realize I have an error. I have thought of a possible solution but I am unsure if it will work.

Currently I have this: AUS-BCN (STOP) BCN-MAD (STOP) MAD-DFW (STOP) DFW-LAS(STOP) LAS-DFW The problem is the destination is also a stopover in the middle of the award.

Would this be possible? AUS-BCN (STOP) BCN-MAD(STOP) MAD-DFW (STOP) AUS-LAS(STOP) LAS-AUS The thing in question is flying out of my origination again?

If that is a problem what about SAT-LAS and back? I am not connection in DFW at all so the two connections with SAT would be OK.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myefre
Currently I have this: AUS-BCN (STOP) BCN-MAD (STOP) MAD-DFW (STOP) DFW-LAS(STOP) LAS-DFW The problem is the destination is also a stopover in the middle of the award.
Answer: Because you have an open jaw in your itinerary with DFW as your final destination, you are not allowed to stopover in DFW in the middle of the itinerary.
--------------------------
Would this be possible? AUS-BCN (STOP) BCN-MAD(STOP) MAD-DFW (STOP) AUS-LAS(STOP) LAS-AUS The thing in question is flying out of my origination again?
Answer: You cannot connect through or stopover in AUS because it is your originating city.
----------------------------
If that is a problem what about SAT-LAS and back? I am not connection in DFW at all so the two connections with SAT would be OK.
Answer: Because you have an open jaw in your itinerary with SAT as your final destination, you are not allowed to stopover in SAT in the middle of the itinerary.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Answer: Because you have an open jaw in your itinerary with DFW as your final destination, you are not allowed to stopover in DFW in the middle of the itinerary.
(I thought so)

Answer: You cannot connect through or stopover in AUS because it is your originating city.
(But I am not connecting or stopping over in Austin. I stopped in DFW and then continued on at a later date from AUS. Can I leave from my originating city twice is the question?)

Answer: Because you have an open jaw in your itinerary with SAT as your final destination, you are not allowed to stopover in SAT in the middle of the itinerary.
(Actually I am not stopping at SAT in the middle. The stop is in DFW when I get back from Europe and then later I am doing a Vegas trip from SAT. I think this is probably the only way I can make the trip to Vegas work. )

Thank you
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

(But I am not connecting or stopping over in Austin. I stopped in DFW and then continued on at a later date from AUS. Can I leave from my originating city twice is the question?)
The rules, as I understand them, do not specifically cover the situation you have described: open jaw in the middle of the itinerary with the second end of the jaw being the originating city. But given that the rules specifically prohibit a stopover in or connection through the originating city, I highly doubt that the rules would allow you to "originate twice" from Austin.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

(Actually I am not stopping at SAT in the middle. The stop is in DFW when I get back from Europe and then later I am doing a Vegas trip from SAT. I think this is probably the only way I can make the trip to Vegas work.)
I do not see a problem with the following itinerary:

AUS-BCN(SO)-MAD(SO)-DFW(SO), SAT-LAS(SO)-AUS

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jul 25, 2005 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:31 pm

We're sure one of the airlines doesn't have to be AA? Seems to me like the rules of this award, as explained in this thread, would allow some ridiculous joyriding around Europe for relatively few miles (i.e., a roundtrip from Dublin stopping in 8-10 cities in Western/Central Europe for under 4,000 miles?!) Surely there's some rule which limits this sort of practice...
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yep, any 2 OW airlines, 3 if AA is one of them. And yes, some of the itineraries that have been claimed by some as having been approved by AA are just plain silly, IMO. Problem is some people are not content with getting away with murder, they have to come to FT and brag about it. When and if AA finally gets tired of being taken for a ride we will have nobody to blame but ourselves.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Hello everyone. Im planning a trip LAX-LIM-SCL-IPC-PPT-AKL-LAX.
Now if I understand correctly from what I read above this award would be classified under the 14,001 - 20,000 award (I checked through Great Circle Mapper). Therefore for a C trip it will be 130,000 AA miles.

So is a stop over allowed in LIM, SLC, IPC, PPT and AKL?

LAX-LIM-SCL-IPC-PPT all on LA

The PPT-AKL is flown by TN but codeshare by QF, is this going to be a problem? If so, what can I do?

AKL-LAX on QF

Thanks in advance

Drew
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by KL808
...So is a stop over allowed in LIM, SLC, IPC, PPT and AKL?...
Yes.

The PPT-AKL is flown by TN but codeshare by QF, is this going to be a problem?
Problem. Codeshares must be operated by OW airlines only, and TN is not OW.

If so, what can I do?
The only possibility I see is PPT-xIPC-xSCL-AKL on LA.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by Viajero
Yes.

Problem. Codeshares must be operated by OW airlines only, and TN is not OW.

The only possibility I see is PPT-xIPC-xSCL-AKL on LA.
wow. So I have to back track then right? Is this allowed? Will I still be allowed to stopover in SCL in the begining of my trip?

Will this make my trip longer in miles? Ie going back to SCL from PPT will increase the miles to roughly 28,000 meaning Ill have to give up more miles

Thanks

Drew
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by KL808
So I have to back track then right? Is this allowed? Will I still be allowed to stopover in SCL in the begining of my trip?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Will this make my trip longer in miles?
No. PPT-xSCL-AKL will be calculated as if you had flown PPT-AKL direct.

Edited to add: your itinerary seems doable to me, from a rules point of view. However, be aware that LAN award availability on some of the Pacific routes is going to be a -big- problem.

Last edited by Viajero; Aug 5, 2005 at 8:08 am
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
OK, if I understand this correctly the following routing is valid for a oneworld 150000 (OW150F) award:

DCA-CAI - 5821 miles (routing: DCA-ORD-LHR-CAI) AA & BA
DXB-DCA - 7052 miles (routing: DXB-HKG-JFK-DCA) CX & AA

All connections are between 2.5 and 3 hours, with the exception of the LHR connection which is 4.5 hours.

Stopover (time between departure and return flights) will be somewhere between 4-9 months. Using this for the obvious purchase of AONEx in CAI and which ends in DXB.

Another question related to ONE purchase:

After arranging ONE purchase with Mrs. Sobhi in CAI. Is payment made in advance and all I do is pick something up at the airport? Or, do I need to be in CAI on a weekday to go to Mrs. Sobhi's office and take care of business? Right now my visit to CAI is on a weekend but it can be extended 1 day if I need to be there on a weekday.

TIA
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
...DXB-DCA - 7052 miles (routing: DXB-HKG-JFK-DCA) CX & AA...
7052 miles is a transatlantic distance. Will AA let you fly transpacific for the same 'price'? Without known official rules it is hard for us to know, I guess it will depend on (a) the agent and (b) AA in Dallas, when it goes before them for final approval.

Last edited by Viajero; Aug 5, 2005 at 11:21 am
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

DXB-DCA - 7052 miles (routing: DXB-HKG-JFK-DCA) CX & AA

I am not aware of any oneworld award using AA miles rule that would prohibit this routing.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I made a couple of changes to the original post. I added Section 12 (relating to itinerary holds) and provided an example about routing changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.