ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrankReynolds
Thanks for the open jaw clarification.

I would apply for the credit cards, but I've already got a Citi AAdvantage MasterCard... can I get the bonus miles if I'm already a card member?
If your AA mastercard is opened at least 2 years ago, you may have a shot. Citi seems to have a secret roster which it keeps the prior/current owners of the AAdvantage card. Nobody knows exactly how it work. Though in general an 18+ months from previous successful application seems to be the necessary time lapse for majority of folks to get another Citi AA cards. YMMV of course.

Also, one other question: I called American Airlines a few days ago and spoke to a (somewhat unhelpful) booking agent about my itinerary. One of the things he told me is that, in addition to the trip starting from the day I book the ticket, my trip cannot last beyond the 330 date window AA has on future reservations. This struck me as somewhat strange, since I thought that all the flight dates (after the initial flight) can be rescheduled for free if open flights are available... couldn't I just wait a few months until AA starts ticketing flights for later in 2012 and push back the end of my trip by 30 days?
AA reservation system can only book up to 330 days from todate. You can test a future dummy booking on AA website to see for yourself.

For travel, you need to COMPLETE the travel within the 1 year validity starting from the date the ticket is ISSUED. So if your travel would fall into the last 30 days of that 1 year, just change the dates of those segments when the dates are available for booking.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
The AAgent you spoke with was incorrect. You have up to a year after ticket issuance to complete travel, and can change your dates (assuming availability) when the 330 day booking window opens up, effectively giving you an extra 35 potential days of travel.
Actually I believe there is a miscommunication there. The AA agent might very well mean now he can only book up to 330 days from todate. I suspect it is what the AA Agent has meant to say.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Happy
If your AA mastercard is opened at least 2 years ago, you may have a shot. Citi seems to have a secret roster which it keeps the prior/current owners of the AAdvantage card. Nobody knows exactly how it work. Though in general an 18+ months from previous successful application seems to be the necessary time lapse for majority of folks to get another Citi AA cards. YMMV of course.
Awesome! I just read some stuff on credit card churning at millionmilesecrets.com, applied for the Citi AA Visa, and got approved. Hopefully I can get those bonus miles in time...

AA reservation system can only book up to 330 days from todate. You can test a future dummy booking on AA website to see for yourself.

For travel, you need to COMPLETE the travel within the 1 year validity starting from the date the ticket is ISSUED. So if your travel would fall into the last 30 days of that 1 year, just change the dates of those segments when the dates are available for booking.
Thanks. I had a feeling that AA agent had no idea what he was talking about.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:16 am

Crap!

Just did a little more research... am I gonna get slammed with a massive fuel surcharge for flying BA from RIO to LHR and LHR to NBO? Should I do Iberia to Madrid instead?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just did a little more research... am I gonna get slammed with a massive fuel surcharge for flying BA from RIO to LHR and LHR to NBO? Should I do Iberia to Madrid instead?
No fuel surcharges ex-Brazil. Hefty fuel surcharges (and hefty UK APD) on LHR-Africa in BA Business Class.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
You are facing a rare situation. My basic rule of thumb for avoiding surcharges and other idiotic fees (like premium-cabin tax) is to avoid BA as well as LHR. Now Brazil happens to be a rare wise country to have outlawed fuel surcharges, and you are safe flying BA ex-Brazil. However, they can still get you ex-UK. So yes, back to the golden rule, avoid BA/UK whenever possible.

If you were only connecting in UK, then solution is simple: -Rio-Madrid-Amman-Nairobi-Amman- will put you back on the track.

If you wish to actually visit London, then still try to avoid BA: -Rio-Madrid-London-Amman-Nairobi-Amman-

The last one will have 17 segments (16 max are allowed), so you'll still need to tweak something somewhere.

My other suggestion is to leave SYD out (it is adding lot of miles for just one city) and reorder Asian cities a little (eg, DEL-BKK-HKG-PEK-NRT-LAX). That will solve the segment problem and help with the total cost as you'll need only 190K miles in Business class.

Your Mom asked you to make a wise choice. Any choice, by definition, consists of leaving things out. I'd suggest you consider SYD (to minimize miles) and/or UK (to minimize fees and taxes). Of course, Business class is nice, but for a young person in good health, it too is a candidate for leaving out. You'll have to decide. These are exciting plans. Best of luck!

Last edited by aktchi; Dec 24, 2011 at 5:26 am
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Questions about defunct airline / AA partner Mexicana / MX should be asked / have been moved to this thread. /Moderator
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I suppose my biggest question is: is it worth it for me to buy more miles to upgrade to business class? It would cost me approximately $1600 for the necessary 60,000 miles, but I would also get 20,000 bonus miles if I do it before the end of the year thanks to a current AA promotion. I know that buying airline miles in cash is usually not a good value, but do you think in this case it would be worth it to go business?

- Alex
Quite to the contrary. I have always considered buying miles as a cheap and fast way to supplement my account, if needed (especially when bonus is being offered). Next to the obvious - free miles with a CC offer (which one is not always eligible for) - this is the best and cheapest way to get miles.
Just consider - to "earn" 60,000 AA miles you'd have to:
1 Either fly 60,000 miles (as a non elite) - just think how much that would cost
2 or put $60,000 on your CC
Compared to that $1600 for 60,000 miles is a real bargain; and I think you'd be very happy that you are flying all this distance in business (for both the comfort in flying as well as the lounge access).
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Still trying to understand the situation with BA fuel surcharges for itineraries ex- Brazil.

Do fuel surcharges for all flights in the itinerary get dropped as a result of a ticket originating Brazil?

I'm thinking of doing:
GRU-LHR BA
LHR-BKK BA
BKK-HKG-JFK CX
JFK-LHR-JNB-DUR BA
DUR-JNB-LHR-IAD BA

Or only the GRU-LHR flight has no fuel surcharges and the USA-South Africa-USA segments are assessed fuel surcharges?

I checked out ITA and did a GRU-LHR, LHR-BKK, BKK-JFK, and JFK-JNB in the same query. No YQ charges appeared in the fare calculation lines.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Jan 1, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.