Wiki Posts
Search

DFW Skylink to Open May 21, 2005

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
From the article...

Originally Posted by martin33
pre-clearance flights (Canada, USVI etc) also clear TSA, and deplane into the airside of the arrival gateway.

some airports (PHX until recently) are international arrivals into airside, with no TSA checks unless you had checked luggage sealed/tagged for security.

meanwhile, as to the TrAAin, I don't get the concern about how Skylink is worse for locals-- before, if you had checked luggage, it was the same problem-- no re-entry to ride airside. the landside single-car trains aren't going away, are they? and surely the new bus service beats them anyway.

All I know is, my final TrAAin journey happened on Thursday, and I am not in the least sad to see it go-- a long, slow, crowded, loud, and bumpy ride from A around to C...
Based on the article, the landside single-car trains went away in 2003 and the terminal link buses will continue to operate. There is an incentive to NOT check any bags if you can avoid it because with Skylink, you won't have to worry about getting back to your car in a different terminal.

OR better yet, use off-airport or remote parking. Who can afford airport terminal parking anyway? You all must be on expense accounts.
Old May 8, 2005, 5:17 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
Thumbs up MUCH faster

Originally Posted by Manner998
So how is this faster? The trAAin comes every two minutes too. And if you are telling me it stops at more places, so that I don't have to walk so far to the pick-up, stopping more often doesn't sound faster either.

I have done both trAAin at DFW and the "Skylink" at EWR. I don't either one is faster.
Based on the additional information released today in the DMN, Skylink kills the old TrAAin:

35 mph v 17 mph
9 min v 17 min to make the loop
60 person capacity v 20 person capacity

And there is potential to make the 2 car trains into 4 car trains in the future.

For $880 million...it had better be good and it sounds like indeed is. ^
Old May 8, 2005, 5:46 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
ScottTexas .. GREAT Information!!! FAST WOW!

Hey .. not to knock people.. but do you think the designers of the NEW SkyLink trains have learned the lesson from the old DFW trains??

I mean .. people SIT on the carpeted areas that are supposed to be for luggage. Come on .. designers ... make it a bit MORE obvious ..

You sit HERE ....

You put your luggage HERE ....
Old May 21, 2005, 2:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
DFW International Airport Debuts World's Largest Airport People Mover System

Skylink Opens to the Traveling Public After Five Years of Planning and Construction; High School Band Plays 'Celebration' to Start Operations

DFW INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, Texas, May 21 /PRNewswire/ -- With a musical fanfare befitting a state-of-the-art transit system, Skylink, the world's largest airport people mover began service to the traveling public at DFW International Airport today, forever changing the way travelers use the world's third-busiest airport.

The Skylink automated people mover system debuted today with the 40-member Fort Worth Carter-Riverside High School band marching off the train playing Kool & the Gang's "Celebration" and breaking through a commemorative banner. Airport Ambassadors tossed confetti and the Southlake Carroll High School Emerald Belles drill team cheered. In honor of Armed Forces Day, DFW also invited U.S. service men and women participating in the military's R&R program to join the festivities.

press release
Old May 21, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by martin33
the landside single-car trains aren't going away, are they?
As ScottTexas reports, the landside single-car trains are already gone (actually, they continue to serve employees). However, the existing system will be dismantled in roughly one month, assuming the Skylink operates properly.
Old May 21, 2005, 11:45 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA AA-EXP 1MM, HH-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-President's Circle
I was on the TrAAin this past Wednesday and mused to the the FA sitting across from me that I just realized this will be my last ride on the TrAAin ever and I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. 1 minute after I said it, the TrAAin came to a screeching halt and we were stuck there for 20 minutes. They told us they were having trAAck mainenance issues. I was kinda hoping my last TrAAin experience was going to be positive. Oh well. I will be traveling through DFW on Monday and can't wait to try the new SkyLink.
Old May 21, 2005, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Anybody have a SkyLink trip report since the grand opening?
Old May 22, 2005, 12:07 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Just wanted to point out that the TrAAin system was, at the time it opened, very high tech. It was amongst the first Personal Rapid Transit systems (service on demand/non-stop service to destination) to be put in service, though it spent most of its life running like an automated mini-metro or people-mover.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:42 am

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Anybody have a SkyLink trip report since the grand opening?
I'm connecting through DFW on Monday morning, and planning to take SkyLink. Even if my departing gate is next door to my arriving gate . I will post a trip report!
Old May 22, 2005, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Now, wouldn't it be great if DFW would post what restaurants and facilities are available at other terminals (including nearest Gate #) on a sign at each SkyLink station?

Of course after D opens, I will be arriving at DFW early to hop on Skylink to check out the new terminal....or maybe I'll start at the new terminal and ride Skylink to my departure gate.
Old May 22, 2005, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I fly out Monday morning, and unless I run into traffic or parking issues, I expect to have 20 minutes to ride a loop.
Old May 22, 2005, 8:27 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
I rode the Skylink this morning from C to A. The entrance was adjacent to my gate - very handy. I waited two minutes. It took off VERY quickly, and some lady almost fell over. Keep in mind it was 5am, but it was still quick. Two stops later I was to the second A stop which dumped me once again adjacent to my gate (A14). All in all - GREAT. FWIW - there was a Starbucks on the gate level at both locations. The significance of this is that I never see Starbucks at DFW.

However, like the AA signs (all right electronic billboards) that were temporarily up to give gate information (years ago), I could see someone claiming foul when they fall over and get hurt.

It's wonderful, and I would not change a thing.

Sam

edit: I didn't realize that the Starbucks info was abundant in this thread...

Last edited by Sam - DFW; May 22, 2005 at 8:38 am Reason: didn't read the Starbucks posts...
Old May 22, 2005, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC, FT <30y
I had an hour to kill yesterday, so I rode it around a few times. It looks like it will be very efficient. The large loading/unloading stations are great. There are a few spots where it picks up some pretty good speed too (somewhere after terminal D on the outer track loop). I like how the train goes through the middle of terminal D. Even though the train does not stop there yet, you are able to see the progress. Each car has a nice status map that shows your current location on the terminal loop. The temperature inside the cars was comfortable, even with the outside temps in the 90's. It looks like tight connections will be a little easier to accomplish from now on. ^

This is what the posters in each car says….
Get up to speed on Skylink
Welcome aboard

Connecting every terminal, Skylink marks a new era of speed and convenience at DFW Airport.

Get there faster
You’re on, you’re off. Skylink’s average ride time is just 5 minutes.

Big plans
With 64 cars, Skylink boasts the largest airport fleet in the world. And, the final fleet will total 114 cars.

Nice ride
Skylink travels a smooth 35 mph and is elevated an average of 50 feet above ground.

That voice
Recognize it? Doc Morgan, the signature voice for Skylink, is nationally renowned and has voiced scripts for local and national campaigns for over 20 years.

Station IDs
DFW has two, 480 long Skylink stations per terminal, the length of two Boeing 777s. Each is equipped with two entrances and helpful passenger information systems, including synchronized (hands free) doors, stairs and elevators.

For more information, visit www.dfwairport.com.”

Last edited by ENSANERIDE; May 22, 2005 at 10:33 am
Old May 22, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by HeHateY
Just wanted to point out that the TrAAin system was, at the time it opened, very high tech. It was amongst the first Personal Rapid Transit systems (service on demand/non-stop service to destination) to be put in service, though it spent most of its life running like an automated mini-metro or people-mover.
Is it my imagination, or didn't the old train initially have an admission charge? I recall a couple of things about it when DFW first opened:

1) The train stations had turnstiles, and required pax to pay either $0.10 or $0.25.

2) If one needed change for the turnstile, the dollar bill changers were set to return only $0.90.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
(Warning, very DFW radio specific and quite off topic, but still fun....)

Originally Posted by ENSANERIDE
That voice
Recognize it? Doc Morgan, the signature voice for Skylink, is nationally renowned and has voiced scripts for local and national campaigns for over 20 years.
Doc? The former announcer from KTCK The Ticket? Kinda brings a new meaning to the drop, "The wheels are off!" Surely he didn't quit The Ticket just to do this? (And, yes, I still find Conrad, the new announcer, "shocking".)

What's next? Norm Hitzges drops?
"Morning and a happy Friday morning Morning and a happy Friday morning Morning and a happy Friday morning...." Although if there's a station near a Mexican restuarant, they could also play his drop "Have a fajita."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.