FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Want a long layover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/363470-want-long-layover.html)

pringle Oct 14, 2004 10:34 am

Want a long layover

How do I go about scheduling that?

Here's my situation:

I'm flying from DFW to Reno, NV, to BWI, then to DFW. However, the majority of flights from Reno to BWI are through DFW. I'd like get a long layover (~6 hours) so that I could run around and do some errands.

How do I go about booking something like this? Most connecting flights (Reno to BWI) are fairly short (~2 hours).

Thanks

YVR Cockroach Oct 14, 2004 10:48 am

Try forcing an overnight layover.

pringle Oct 14, 2004 11:10 am

Originally Posted by terenz
Try forcing an overnight layover.

No can do, there aren't any that have a overnight layover

brp Oct 14, 2004 11:13 am

try using the multiple cities booking mode. Then each of your segments will show up separately, and you can try to choose pairings that have a long enough layover.

I think there's a rule about layovers not exceeding 4 hours domestically on certain fares (do I remember correctly?). If so, this may cost a fair bit more for the longer layover. But I'd suggest trying that to see what you find.

Cheers.

GregL Oct 14, 2004 11:15 am

Originally Posted by pringle
How do I go about scheduling that?

Here's my situation:

I'm flying from DFW to Reno, NV, to BWI, then to DFW. However, the majority of flights from Reno to BWI are through DFW. I'd like get a long layover (~6 hours) so that I could run around and do some errands.

How do I go about booking something like this? Most connecting flights (Reno to BWI) are fairly short (~2 hours).

Thanks

If you can't do an overnight, you're out of luck since a layover > 4 hours is considered a stopover and the ticket would price as a circle trip, RNO-DFW, DFW-BWI, BWI-RNO.

Greg

pringle Oct 14, 2004 11:38 am

Originally Posted by GregL
If you can't do an overnight, you're out of luck since a layover > 4 hours is considered a stopover and the ticket would price as a circle trip, RNO-DFW, DFW-BWI, BWI-RNO.

Greg

4 hour max -- unfortunately... but excellent info

thanks

ricktoronto Oct 14, 2004 11:48 am

I routinely do YYZ- MGA via MIA and the price is the same when I take the last flight to MIA, stay overnight in MIA Hotel and then leave on the early MIA-MGA flight. Just find a flight than arrives to late to connect and try it. The alternative is a flight that connects with a 7 hour layover in MIA and a late flight out that arrives far too late.

bedelman Oct 14, 2004 11:59 am

Originally Posted by pringle
No can do, there aren't any that have a overnight layover

The AA.COM web site often doesn't show overnight layovers. But telephone reservations can force an overnight layover. If you fly into DFW late enough that you can't make a legal connection on to your final destination, then you are permitted to take the first flight the next morning. Telephone reservations agents (generally) know this, but AA.COM does not.

ricktoronto Oct 14, 2004 12:25 pm

Maybe not always but it does for me on multicity , by schedule, I just pick the latest flight (with connection) to MIA and the first out of MIA and it is the same ticket, price, everything else. I have done it to DFW on a MR to SDQ as well, overnight at the Hyatt.

mAAine_flyer Oct 14, 2004 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by bedelman
The AA.COM web site often doesn't show overnight layovers. But telephone reservations can force an overnight layover. If you fly into DFW late enough that you can't make a legal connection on to your final destination, then you are permitted to take the first flight the next morning. Telephone reservations agents (generally) know this, but AA.COM does not.

Correct. But you can force an overnight connection on AA.com simply by selecting day+1 for the connecting segment using the multi-city option. That way you can arrive on the last flight of the evening and depart on the first flight the next morning. I've done it before to accomplish exactly what the OP wants to do, and as far as I could tell it didn't cause a change in ticket price.

RChavez Oct 14, 2004 5:18 pm

Wow, this is news to me, and a great feature I should take more advantage of if it indeed is permissible. I had always been under the impression that most deeply discounted fares domestically (maybe just 48 US, but possibly 50 or all of N.A.) specifically stated any stop greater than 4 hours was a stopover, regardless of whether you did the last in first out trick. I know that CO applied this rule quite regularly, hence why I never even thought to try it on AA.

ricktoronto Oct 14, 2004 10:11 pm

The point is, that even if a four hour rule was true, if you arrive after the last flight leaves it is their fault not yours. You can almost always make a credible case for not being able to arrive earlier (e.g leave your home airport earlier) to beat the 4 hour window, so the only choice is to continue the next day. Even AA.com will try to flog on the choose by fare option, flights that leave the next morning (usually after 4 intermediate stops on the way).