Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Million Miler "should I" questions / advice? (consolidated, 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million Miler "should I" questions / advice? (consolidated, 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Million Miler gold hoping to make Platinum or switch airlines, advice?

So here's the deal, in the early 2000s a small business I was one of the owners of used an AA credit card tied to my credit. From that and my travel, I've racked up 1,242,051 million miler miles. So I'm gold for life which is nice but American gold isn't exactly the best program benefits (or at least so it seems to me) and now I'm looking at that 2 million mile mark for platinum for life and wondering if it's attainable or worth it.

I travel approximately 40k-60k miles a year (last year 43k, this year prob about the same, maybe a little more depending on business). I travel almost exclusively MIA-DCA. I visit my kids that live with my ex-wife every other weekend. I could fly FLL instead of MIA and/or IAD instead of DCA but neither would be preferable unless there was some compelling reason to change.

So my question for the more knowledgeable guru's here is basically is there any quick/sneaky/smart/tricky/shady/etc way to get to 2 million miles other than just flying American for the next 16 years? Falling a little short of platinum just from travel last year and being offered a boost at $899 felt almost insulting (personally i think million milers should start with their level in miles every year for elite qualification; as it stands now I get gold every year just from travel, what does MMfL give me?).

If there isn't any good way to get there, is there any way to get to platinum without paying $899? Or suggestions to change airlines to with matching to start? My biggest problem with AA is the limited upgrades, I think upgrades should always be unlimited based on status.

TIA for any feedback from the experts.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 15, 2014 at 8:03 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by erikk00
So here's the deal, in the early 2000s a small business I was one of the owners of used an AA credit card tied to my credit. From that and my travel, I've racked up 1,242,051 million miler miles. So I'm gold for life which is nice but American gold isn't exactly the best program benefits (or at least so it seems to me) and now I'm looking at that 2 million mile mark for platinum for life and wondering if it's attainable or worth it.

I travel approximately 40k-60k miles a year (last year 43k, this year prob about the same, maybe a little more depending on business). I travel almost exclusively MIA-DCA. I visit my kids that live with my ex-wife every other weekend. I could fly FLL instead of MIA and/or IAD instead of DCA but neither would be preferable unless there was some compelling reason to change.

So my question for the more knowledgeable guru's here is basically is there any quick/sneaky/smart/tricky/shady/etc way to get to 2 million miles other than just flying American for the next 16 years? Falling a little short of platinum just from travel last year and being offered a boost at $899 felt almost insulting (personally i think million milers should start with their level in miles every year for elite qualification; as it stands now I get gold every year just from travel, what does MMfL give me?).

If there isn't any good way to get there, is there any way to get to platinum without paying $899? Or suggestions to change airlines to with matching to start? My biggest problem with AA is the limited upgrades, I think upgrades should always be unlimited based on status.

TIA for any feedback from the experts.
Only butt-in-seat miles count towards mm status. There's no way around that - you'll need to fly 20 more years at 40k miles per year to get there.

You can request a platinum challenge for a fee - read about it in the wiki. Basically, you need a certain amount of EQP's in a set amount of time.

Other than that, you don't have any other options at AA. LT gold has value, maybe not as much as you want, but you'll need to fly more or challenge to see better upgrade chances and a few more benefits.

If I were you, flying only that one route, I'd just book by price and save the money. Burn those miles you have taking your kids on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
If you get the right Citibank card you can get 10K EQM for a $40K spend, that will at least help you get to platinum in the years you fly at least 40K miles. It also gets you ian AAdmirals Club membership and some other benefits.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
So my question for the more knowledgeable guru's here is basically is there any quick/sneaky/smart/tricky/shady/etc way to get to 2 million miles other than just flying American for the next 16 years?
Not anymore. You have to fly the miles now.

Pay $450 and get the Citi World Elite Mastercard. After $40k in spend, you'll get 10k EQM. So if you fly 40k miles, you'll get Platinum.

This also gets you Admiral's club membership, etc.

Good luck getting "unlimited" upgrades as a United Silver.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I am in the same situation. Part of it depends on your age. I'm 31, so hitting LT platinum in my late 40's or 50's leaves plenty of time to use the status. At the same time it's not even on my radar. Flying 50k miles isn't that hard if you really need the perks.

When they make it harder to get Platinum (onerous spend requirements, for example), it might make my radar, but even then just barely. I'm much happier when focused on more meaningful pursuits. I like perks as much as the next guy, but the "entitled leisure traveler" hobby won't get you far in life and it's far from my top priorities.

But you have to do the math for yourself... how much are willing to spend to maintain your loyalty to AA? It's a big deal that new management is on record saying frequent flyers get too many perks (and have already started to rectify that problem!).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
If your regular route is DCA/IAD-MIA/FLL, then IIRC the only alternative is UA. I honestly think you'd be better off on AA, even if you can't hit Plat.

Upgrade rates: We don't know how things will shape up on AA yet, but if the stickers stay, I'd imagine your u/g chances will be better. With CPU/UDU, I find it hard to believe that your upgrades would clear much (if at all) as a UA Silver.

Economy: In the very likely event that you're stuck in coach, MCE and E+ access is the same for GLD vs UA Silver - free 24 hours out. But, you at least have an option of purchasing MCE at a discount on AA. Oh, and if you ever travel with others, UA Silvers/Golds can only move up 1 travel companion, while IIRC, all the pax on your AA reservation benefit from your status.

IAD: Speaking from experience, IMHO, IAD is not worth the pain or hassle, especially if DCA is more convenient.

Partner Travel: If you stick with AA, GLD/OW Ruby will actually get you some meaningful benefits on AS & OW, whereas UA Silver/*S means jack $*@# when it comes to *A.

Of course, every person's priorities are different (schedule, price, inflight comfort, amenities, miles, etc.), and only you can tell what's best for you.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good and fast feedback. This forum certainly seems like a great resource for FFs. Yeah I was afraid the response would be what it was; American is almost always the cheapest carrier for my route and combined with the gold (as weak as it is imo; though I was used to continental FF in the late 90s early 2000s and got free upgrades on I believe every flight I flew so maybe I'm biased and unaware of the current state of the industry) it seems like I've got golden handcuffs keeping me with American no matter how little I like it.

I'm 38 so I guess hitting platinum for life sometime around 55 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but with my luck I'd hit platinum right before teleportation is invented.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American is almost always the cheapest carrier for my route
Well, then you better hope that American doesn't follow Delta and United into the spend-threshold-required-for-status world. At those airlines, you can't get annual Platinum status from miles flown alone any more; you need to also have spend about $5k (if I recall correctly) annually on your flights with that airline. That may be hard if you're only flying cheap flights.

Also, you better hope that American doesn't follow Delta into the spend-based mileaage earning world. At Delta, starting next year, you earn (in most cases) based on how much you spent on the flight, not on the miles flown, factored in with your status. Now, depending on status and distance and price, this is not always worse, but if American were to implement something like this, it could alter your calculation at least a bit in terms of how many years it would take you.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You don't have golden handcuffs, if you think Gold status is really that horrible, ask for a status match from UA or DL. My guess is, though, that you'll be back.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, then you better hope that American doesn't follow Delta and United into the spend-threshold-required-for-status world. At those airlines, you can't get annual Platinum status from miles flown alone any more; you need to also have spend about $5k (if I recall correctly) annually on your flights with that airline. That may be hard if you're only flying cheap flights.
Indeed it may be hard, harder and less worthwhile to pursue.

Some have the option of not having those spending levels required, especially as non-US residence status on file is currently the way not to have those spending levels required and still to get elite status from just flying.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Million Mile Qualification - Sitting on 952K and Seeking Advice

Hi all

I am not a regular AA flyer any more (but I was for many years). I recently realized that I have 952000 lifetime miles.

Question - is there any way at all to get 48K in miles without flying the miles? It seems not based on the website, but I wondered if any FTers have any ideas?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ensco
Hi all

I am not a regular AA flyer any more (but I was for many years). I recently realized that I have 952000 lifetime miles.

Question - is there any way at all to get 48K in miles without flying the miles? It seems not based on the website, but I wondered if any FTers have any ideas?
No, need to fly to earn it. Sorry.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Isn't it possible with the credit card that gives 10K BIS miles after you charge something like $40,000 in a year?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paradocs
Isn't it possible with the credit card that gives 10K BIS miles after you charge something like $40,000 in a year?
Yes, but that would take 5 years (assuming the credit retains the ability to do that for 5 years) to get to 48K.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

In this case, a similar question already exists; we'll add this thread to it.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.