Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reaching platinum question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2002, 10:43 am
Original Poster

reaching platinum question

I am so close to reaching platinum, it hurts. But after looking at the rest of my flying for the year, I will end up with something like 48,548 miles.

Do you need to go over the 50,000 for platinum, or is there any leeway?

If there is no leeway, what trip should I take to go over the threshold (preferably a one day return)?

Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2002, 2:07 pm
LLZ

Do a quick, same day LGA-FLL-LGA. 1076 miles each way. Can get it for $155 on travelocity and aa.com.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Do a mileage run. I would not rely on there being a leeway.

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:18 pm

Last year, one of my co-workers was really close to gold (a few hundred miles off). He called before the end of the year and asked if they could do anything about it. They said not until after the year. He called in January, and they gave him gold. A risky proposition, though, especially in these times.

If you're going to be flying AA a moderate amount next year, PLT is (IMHO) worth it for the double miles alone!
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
I would also agree that if you plan to fly AA frequently next year that you go for the mileage run. Let's say you fly 50K next year, your extra bonus miles as PLT vs. Gold are 37,500 - well worth a cheap run.
I was in the same situation several years ago and didn't go it...and then regretted it.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It's been posted elsewhere, with excerpts from internal AA info, that the absolute minimum has been 49,000 miles until now. Given that you need some sort of mileage run to reach even that figure, I'd go for 50 - the policy may change this year with all the general tightening up.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I agree with others -- just fly it! Don't take a chance on not getting the extra mileage bonus next year!

If you come down to MIA after 12/1, I'll buy drinks at the AC.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:51 am

Location: DFW - AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt - PLT, Hertz Prez
Will AA send you a PLT package if you hit PLT this time of the year??

Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:56 am

Whenever you reach a new or higher elite level, you will receive a welcome packet within 3-5 weeks. No packet is sent to acknowledge requalification at the same level, except in February of each year to provide members with credentials and information for the new Membership Year starting March 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.