Wiki Posts
Search

Coach or F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Coach or F

Fortunately I can afford both Y & F, but have no idea what is included in inflight service in either cabin.

I have to book flights from AUA to JFK via MIA. I have long legs so could book more legroom.

All the inflight links on AA seem to be broken (error code 404) so please could someone explain the difference between service offerings in the two cabins? Would you pay much more to travel F on this route?

I have a Marco Polo Gold Card if that helps with anything.

If these are stupid questions, please forgive me, as I'm only familiar with European airlines.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I would prefer to travel in F on ANY route.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by botham
Fortunately I can afford both Y & F...
Then this just seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
F

If these are stupid questions, please forgive me, as I'm only familiar with European airlines.
No worries. This is why this forum has a FAQ (where it says "please check here first") where very basic questions like "what is the difference between coach and first on this airline" are well-discussed in an attempt to prevent every person unfamiliar with the airline from asking the same basic questions over and over again.

Doesn't seem to be working well, though

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...f_Service_(AA)
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...and_Seats_(AA)
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...rtainment_(AA)
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ght_Wi-Fi_(AA)

Last edited by miamigrad; Jul 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm Reason: fixed links
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brp
No worries. This is why this forum has a FAQ (where it says "please check here first") where very basic questions like "what is the difference between coach and first on this airline" are well-discussed in an attempt to prevent every person unfamiliar with the airline from asking the same basic questions over and over again.

Doesn't seem to be working well, though

Cheers.
Thanks. However, in the time you took to type that you could have given me your opinion, which I don't think I'll find in the FAQ
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks. However, in the time you took to type that you could have given me your opinion, which I don't think I'll find in the FAQ
The opinion is obvious - F, of course (although on routes to AUA it will be called J, not F- which is also in the FAQ ). The info on the differences, though, is more involved...and well-covered.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Flights to caribbean, although called business, can be considered "Domestic F", so you should compare domestic F to intra-european business cabin/service.

Comparing to intra-europe flights, domestic F cabin on AA (which includes Caribbean) is much better because the seat is wider and has more space (not a middle blocked). It is a recliner (limited recline), not a life flat/angled flat.

I have found intra-european business class FAs more attentive and polite and consistent. AA can be hit or miss. Food is slightly better on AA but it is airline food in the end.

Coach service USA-Caribbean is pretty much the same as intra-european coach. But, you have to pay for your meals and alcohol on AA.

IMO, it is not worth to spend extra $$$ to fly business (domestic F) on these Caribbean routes (upgrades, yes!).

Last edited by carlosdca; Jul 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Being able to afford something and paying what one considers a reasonable amount for a product or service are two different things. To the OP, what are you looking as far as prices. Both are fairly short flights with domestic meal service. Possibly, it just makes sense to purchase a MCE seat for extra legroom. Also, the a/c on the JFK routes vary and therefore the seat type. Anywhere from the brown park bench seat to a NGBC seat.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA: EXP, SPG: Gold
If you can afford it, splurge for F!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
IMO, it is not worth to spend extra $$$ to fly business (domestic F) on these Caribbean routes (upgrades, yes!).
If someone and has lots and lots of money and buying an F/J ticket is like you and me supersizing your McDonald's value meal, then what's the big deal?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
If someone and has lots and lots of money and buying an F/J ticket is like you and me supersizing your McDonald's value meal, then what's the big deal?
Being able to afford First Class for one trip doesn't mean they have "lots and lots" of money to waste on something not needed. So, whether to spend money you have, even if you can afford it, does sometimes come down to whether spending it is worth the return. For some people, some domestic first class flights might not be worth the extra expense. I CAN afford an AC membership. I don't have one. My longest times between flights are on international trips. On those trips, due to status, I get lounge access. Now, if I had lots of millions, I might pay the money for lounge access, but at this point I am not throwing money into it.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
It would be a pleasure to post a reply.

F vs Y (in general)

Easier Check IN

Luggage allowance vs pay

Easier boarding - generally in the first group to board

Better cabin service with the possibility of a meal, wine, alcohol at no additional charge.

Less people using the F restroom vs econ cabin generally

Wider seat

More leg room

Better recline

Possibility of a pillow or blanket

unlike may european carriers - AA uses 2 across real seats vs 3 across empty seat in the middle.

Priority Luggage upon arrival ( sometimes works, sometimes doesn't - but there's a chance of F bags coming off quicker).

Just a few of the differences.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I have taken flights of similar length, including connections, in both F and Y. I have flown JFK-MIA in Y.

In general I found F fine. Although I did not experience a meal service and the seats were not super-comfortable, the greater cushion width and wider arms meant that they were much better than the Y seats. Y on a full flight was quite miserable.

I would take F every time if you can.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Buying F probably means more Tier Points for you assuming you'll credit your miles to BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.