Wiki Posts
Search

Ramifications of Booking Two Different Flights That Overlap

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Ramifications of Booking Two Different Flights That Overlap

Months ago, I booked domestic award travel (RT) using BA Avios miles on AA. I've now learned that, instead of returning to my home, I need to travel to a different city on business. So instead of traveling A to B to A, I now am planning to travel A to B to C to A.

After talking to BA, I learned that my award travel was apparently booked as a round-trip rather than 2 one-ways, so I can't just cancel my returning flight without affecting my outbound flight. I'm prepared to walk away from my return trip to my home, but I wanted to know what will happen if I book travel on AA to the work-related city. Will AA see that I am scheduled to travel on two different flights at the same time, and cancel one, both, or none of the tickets? I could always book a different airline to City C or not put in my frequent flyer number, but I would prefer to get the limited Gold perks I have earned with AA.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:24 am

Are the either of flights from B to C or C to A at the same time as your original B to A flights?

AA does have a duplicate detection system--I have no idea what criteria it uses to match on--but unless you're going to be in the air at the exact same time as an existing booked flight I think you'd probably be safe.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
My experience has been that while AA will cancel duplicate/conflicting reservations that are on hold (or will cancel a reservation on hold if it conflicts with a paid reservation), AA will not cancel duplicate/conflicting paid reservations. For example, I recently booked a LGA-ORD-LGA reservation, and later learned I had to fly ORD-BOS instead. Because of the fare, there was no reason to change my return, and instead purchased a separate ORD-BOS ticket at the exact same time I was supposed to be flying ORD-LGA. Both of these flights remained ticketed and un-cancelled for a couple of weeks, until I actually took the ORD-BOS flight.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jordyn
Are the either of flights from B to C or C to A at the same time as your original B to A flights?

AA does have a duplicate detection system--I have no idea what criteria it uses to match on--but unless you're going to be in the air at the exact same time as an existing booked flight I think you'd probably be safe.
The two flights in question (B to A, and B to C) are scheduled to be in the air at the same time.

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Oct 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
I've booked and paid for for two different flights from two different city pairs that would be in the air simultaneously, because advance purchase was so cheap that it made sense ven though i knew i'd only take one.

AA called me up and made me pick one to cancel (but at least didn't charge a fee to cancel it).
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
My experience has been that...AA will not cancel duplicate/conflicting paid reservations.
and

Originally Posted by Shawn02139

AA called me up and made me pick one to cancel (but at least didn't charge a fee to cancel it).
Will be interesting to see what happens. What's the over/under on how long it takes AA to call?

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
After talking to BA, I learned that my award travel was apparently booked as a round-trip rather than 2 one-ways, so I can't just cancel my returning flight without affecting my outbound flight.
Contrary to what many US-based BAEC agents say, this is not correct. Call the UK number and they will tell you it can be done without trouble (with the change fee and phone agent fee, so something like $65, but fees are fees). Unfortunately, if you are US-based they'll tell you that you have to contact the US number. Ask them to document the procedure for canceling just the return in your PNR and when the next US agent says it can't be done, mention that the UK agents said it can and documented the procedure in the PNR for the benefit of their US counterparts. They'll escalate, take their sweet time figuring it out, then come back to charge your card for the change fee and phone fee (actually, probably refund to it in the end because of fuel surcharges).

I did this the other way (canceling just outbound) and finally got traction after getting confirmation from the UK that it can be done as long as the award band hasn't changed.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA's software does a better (or worse) job of picking up impossible bookings. Either AA will call and require the cancellation of one or the other or simply cancel one or both. The former at least gives you a chance to keep what you want. The latter can become ugly.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Are award seats still available from A to B to C to A? If so, just book those flights, and cancel the original award. You'll merely forfeit the small amount of cash you paid for the original award. (BA does not make any additional collection when award travel is cancelled. If the cash paid on the award is less than BA's cancellation fee, the traveler merely forfeits the cash paid.)
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

I just got through to a helpful BA agent (perhaps from the UK given his accent, although I used the US phone number), and he was able to cancel only the return flight of the original RT award ticket. I had to pay the change fees but got back 4,500 Avios points/miles. All in all a very painless transaction -- not at all what I was expecting given the previous information I had been provided by BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.