Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Congratulations on your receiving compensation. I wonder if AA agents trolling this site decided to try to end the drama here by ponying up the certificates?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:29 pm

That would be sad to know. I'd rather be blissful and think that they had a genuine change of heart.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
That would be sad to know. I'd rather be blissful and think that they had a genuine change of heart.
I'd think that it would be a tall order to expect that a corporation bases decisions on emotional change-of-hearts....
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Before the internet complaints didn't get aired publically (unless some newspaper got interested in your issue). Now (especially with a board as popular as FT), "big" companies, airlines in particular, can gain popularity by doing the "right thing", even though they don't have to. Perhaps one of the conditions of receiving the "gift", should be that they publicize their good fortune.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:10 pm

C'mon AA. How much of this could have been avoided if you'd just offered the vouchers right off the bat with the sincere apology? Even the sincerest apology without some financial recognition in cases like this end up being just words and lip service.
^ Two round trip tickets would probably have cost AA much less than the negative publicity generated by this fiasco.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I'd think that it would be a tall order to expect that a corporation bases decisions on emotional change-of-hearts....
It was probably like a "Saving Private Ryan" type of moment. Someone saw the complaint, and took it to the head of customer service. They then immediately saw that it was against AA values, and took it to Tom Horton who directed the swift and immediate action to compensate caviargal1956 at all costs - including vouchers! Very human.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:39 pm

Thumbs up

It was probably like a "Saving Private Ryan" type of moment. Someone saw the complaint, and took it to the head of customer service. They then immediately saw that it was against AA values, and took it to Tom Horton who directed the swift and immediate action to compensate caviargal1956 at all costs - including vouchers! Very human.
I applaud the decision. I also applaud your sense of trust in the inherent decency of humans. ^
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Happy
I honestly dont understand some of the posters here - I can't help but think your attitudes would be quite a bit different should similar things happen to you, your families or some people you care a lot for.
Ah, but some of the people here are too perfect to ever let anything like this happen to their friends or family.

Originally Posted by Microwave
Sorry for being a pedant but an AAnytime round-trip award from the continental US and the Caribbean would be 70,000 miles, not 35,000. The same in business class would be 120,000 miles not 60,000.
Thanks for the correction! ^

Glad OP got her resolution, but honestly, if I were her, I don't think I would fly AA ever again if I could avoid it. I do hope she pursues a DOT filing - this 'oops we took your money but didn't manage to issue the ticket' is nothing short of illegal, as brp eloquently pointed out.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by caviargal1956
I received an email yesterday from AA along with two $300 travel vouchers. It appears that Customer Service management felt that we deserved some compensation for what happened.

While I would have preferred not to have to fly with them again, I am satisfied that they responded to my email/snail mail messages with more than a dismissal of my issue.
I'm glad they responded, but personally I would still want to see what the DOT has to say. AA missed many opportunities to make this right (reinstating the tickets and dealing with VDB/IDBs, including likely rebooking/standby in time to still take the vacation, or giving full IDB compensation once they realized what they did) that to let them off with giving weeks later basically what a volunteer at the time would have gotten (in addition to rebooking right away) just opens the door for more of this kind of abuse.

It's entirely possible the DOT will agree with AA and you're left with the vouchers, or they may insist that AA give a full cash compensation. No harm in finding out. But that's just me, I know others feel differently
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by caviargal1956
I received an email yesterday from AA along with two $300 travel vouchers.
Based on this, I've updated the thread title to clarify the current situation. It had to be slightly reworded to keep it under the character limit.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.