Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage shopping Mall/UR card. Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:12 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz
Original Poster

AAdvantage shopping Mall/UR card. Will it work?

Reading over the FAQ's... I ran across this rule. I'm specifically wondering if this rule would ban the use of an Ink, Freedom or CSP card, which are all UR mall earning cards. So if I use a UR earning card, will that keep it from earning points on the AA mall purchase?

Why have previously awarded AAdvantage miles been reduced or removed from my AAdvantage account?
There are several possible reasons why your AAdvantage miles may have been reduced or removed from your AAdvantage account, including the following:
If all or a part of a previously qualifying purchase is cancelled, returned, or is otherwise not completed, then, depending on the terms of the applicable offer, all or a portion of the purchase may no longer qualify for earning AAdvantage miles. As a result, miles previously awarded for that purchase may be reduced or removed from your AAdvantage account.
If a promotion code or coupon not listed on the AAdvantage eShopping℠ site is used, this could result in the purchase being deemed ineligible for earning AAdvantage miles.
If you made a purchase with a credit or debit card that is also registered with another loyalty program or search engine, the purchase may be deemed ineligible for earning AAdvantage miles as you can only earn mileage (or other reward) from one loyalty program or search engine.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
So if I use a UR earning card, will that keep it from earning points on the AA mall purchase?
Of course not.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Oh, thanks, UpgradeMe. Glad you are so confident!

I recently got a UR earning card and am unsure of the details with the shopping malls. I have a big purchase coming up and was hoping for the double dip.

I was unsure because I know you can only register cards in one mileage earning dining program at a time, in the IDine program. If you register the same card in 2 dining programs, only the most recent registration will post miles. I didn't know whether or not the same thing applied with the malls, since I believe that Cartera runs most if not all of the eshopping mall programs.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I believe you can register cards to 'automatically' receive the bonus miles.

From the UA shopping mall it says:
Register up to five credit or debit cards to automatically earn award miles by shopping with participating retailers. Please allow 48 to 72 hours in order for your card to become active. Once your card is in active status, it is eligible to earn.
I'm not sure how that works, maybe its for in-store purchases?, or automatically applies the portal bonus?, someone else more knowledgable can chime in.

What I DO know is that you can double-dip by receiving 1xUR/$ and whatever bonus that the AA portal will give you.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
This should only apply if you some how double dip through two programs.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

PainCorp, I AM trying to double dip... 2800 miles for AT&T new wireless phone with service contract, via the AA portal as my first dip, and 5x points for telephone on the Ink Bold as my double dip.

I have a teenager eagerly awaiting his new smart phone, but I wanted to cruise through FT to consult all you experts just to make sure it will work. Too many points to leave on the table if I just use the AA card.

ComplexAnalysis: the UA mall is run by Cartera, same as the AA mall. That quote you pulled looks just like the T & C's on the AA shopping mall site, too. The UR (Ultimate Rewards) mall is run by ??? Chase? Cartera? I don't know.

As an aside... Is there a Cartera sticky anywhere on FT? I haven't found one. It seems I always have Cartera questions.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
PainCorp, I AM trying to double dip... 2800 miles for AT&T new wireless phone with service contract, via the AA portal as my first dip, and 5x points for telephone on the Ink Bold as my double dip.
That will work. Inherent card benefits i.e.: bonus categories, 5x telephone, cable, 2x travel, etc. do not count as double dipping from Cartera's point of view, as it is the CC company that is providing those benefits.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
That will work. Inherent card benefits i.e.: bonus categories, 5x telephone, cable, 2x travel, etc. do not count as double dipping from Cartera's point of view, as it is the CC company that is providing those benefits.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. That makes perfect sense.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
Correct, I meant in terms of if you tried to buy a gift card online to a restaurant that gave you points for dining there (think UA MP Dining/Cartera) while also ordering through a link in the UR mall that gives you additional miles.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread moved to AA forum because question pertains to the terms of the AAdvantage online shopping portal.

I agree with the previous respondents. Points awarded by a card issuer do not interfere with rewards offered by a merchant through a shopping portal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.