Is award processing charge <21 per ticket or per award?

Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is award processing charge <21 per ticket or per award?

Can someone tell me whether it costs $75 per award or per ticket to book an award within 21 days of travel? I'm AA elite, but thinking about getting tix for family using wife's miles and wondering whether worth it to do that way. Wording very ambiguous and implies per "award" not per ticket (like they specify elsewhere) but I suspect it's per ticket even when multiple tix on a reservation. Also, would it be the same for flight changes w/n 21 days, like switching time or day of flight?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

each ticket will require a separate award
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by letsgomets
Can someone tell me whether it costs $75 per award or per ticket to book an award within 21 days of travel? I'm AA elite, but thinking about getting tix for family using wife's miles and wondering whether worth it to do that way. Wording very ambiguous and implies per "award" not per ticket (like they specify elsewhere) but I suspect it's per ticket even when multiple tix on a reservation. Also, would it be the same for flight changes w/n 21 days, like switching time or day of flight?

Thanks.
It would be $75 for each passenger. If you are changing to a date that is 21 or more days after the date the ticket was issued, there is no change fee.
Examples
Book ticket on Jan 1 for travel on Jan 22
You can make changes for free for travel Jan 22 or later without the 21 day fee, since the new date will be at least 21 days from the date you originally got this ticketed. For example, on January 20, you can change the travel date to January 20
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"For example, on January 20, you can change the travel date to January 20"

???

Doing so would incur a $75 fee, as the award was originally ticketed on January 1. However, if, on January 20, you were to change the travel date to January 30, there would be no charge for that change.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Conveniently award inventory always seems to open up 2 weeks prior to departure.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by singal3
Conveniently award inventory always seems to open up 2 weeks prior to departure.
^^

Yes, I agree as the flight date approaches and the airlines realize they aren't going to sell all seats for revenue they open up mileage redemption buckets. It's great that seats are dynamic and that you can sometimes get your ideal routing close to the actual flight date.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neo_781
^^

Yes, I agree as the flight date approaches and the airlines realize they aren't going to sell all seats for revenue they open up mileage redemption buckets. It's great that seats are dynamic and that you can sometimes get your ideal routing close to the actual flight date.
Did not happen in the past 2 or 3 awards I booked. AA NEVER opened up seats on the direct Transcon even the seatmaps showed planes were half-full only. (I know seatmaps are not reliable but still...)

Also even on our connecting flights, the planes on each leg were barely half-full, yet the same routing disappeared from the availability leading to departure. They NEVER resurfaced.

In fact it has been over 18 months now the Saaver award availability on AA has become truly awful that I feel strongly AA is the new DL which actually does open up seats closer to departure even on its biz class to Europe at the height of Summer. Try that on AA you would be deeply disappointed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.