Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo STR13 - earn EQ 5,000 points to retain status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Promo STR13 - earn EQ 5,000 points to retain status

I am currently Platinum with not enough miles, points or segments to requalify for Gold. I received this promo today:

You currently hold AAdvantage® Platinum status, but it looks like you haven't had a chance to fly quite enough to earn elite status for the 2014 membership year. You have x,000 AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles, x,000 points and x segments, but, not to worry! We know your elite status is important to you, so we're going to help you reach Gold with a special shortcut:
Fly a little more and you're Golden
Only 5,000 more points

Gold status offers exceptional perks like:
• Priority Access at check-in, security and boarding
• 25% mileage bonus on eligible flights
• Complimentary access to Preferred Seats
• Two free checked bags
• Special upgrade privileges
Here's how to qualify: Register by November 15, 2013 with code STR13. Keep flying American or our elite-qualifying participant airlines through December 31, 2013 to reach your goal of 5,000 more elite-qualifying points. Once you do, you're set to enjoy Gold status beginning on March 1, 2014. Of course, you'll continue to enjoy your current Platinum benefits until then.

Most of my flights are in the last quarter of the year, so I'm already planning on requalifying for Plat.

Did anyone else get this?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
its like a soft-drop-challenge. Now it gets interesting.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; Other Stuff
How close are you to the threshold now?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA MM, DL MM
I am not sure if this has been fully thought out...

I was momentarily excited when I saw an email with "Let us help you elevate your status" prominently placed at the top. Current EXP - I got an offer to fly 10K more points to retain Platinum. Funny thing is that if I flew the miles on discounted fares, I would only need 9688 points to hit Platinum since I will cross the mileage threshold. Gee, thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I got something similar. it just said "well, you're EXP, and you're close for this year (I'm about 72K miles), so get to it."

Originally Posted by AA email
You know AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status has its benefits — like unlimited complimentary upgrades, systemwide upgrades, three free checked bags and more. We have good news — you're close to re-qualifying for the 2014 membership year.

With 72,xxx AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles, 48,xxx points and 39 segments you're almost there. Just keep flying American or our elite-qualifying participant airlines to reach 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, points, or 100 segments by the end of the year.
They offered nothing

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by brp
I got something similar. it just said "well, you're EXP, and you're close for this year (I'm about 72K miles), so get to it."

They offered nothing

Cheers.
I'm more like 80k ytd, but otherwise, exactly the same for me: no incentives other than "here is a link for you to book more travel if you want to requalify for EXP..."

These E-mails do seem to indicate that AA is at least reaching out to retain existing elites rather than simply showering gifts on would-be defectors from other airlines...so that's something, I suppose.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:58 am

I received the same offer. If I flew 5000 miles I would become gold. I already have 19,019 miles and have a trip booked to Europe.

Was the platinum code the same? STR13?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by brp

They offered nothing

Cheers.
Yeah. I got the same thing. I guess they also mentioned, "you're so close to the elite reward," so fly more now!

And Mrs. LooneyBin is unfortunately not going to make EXP next year, but GLD. They offered her GLD for 5000 more points. Great. She's at 20,000 EQM and has enough booked for GLD. They didn't even offer PLT.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Already Re-qualified for EXP

Mine tells me to keep flying to get the 125k and 150k Elite Rewards...
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PLT
I got the same message - my first reaction was "Is this a joke?"

I have already booked approx 10,000 miles in the next month, yet I get a 'challenge' for 5000 points to retain gold? And on top of that, I wont be able to use my gold status UNTIL May 2014? That's a bit strange.

I'm still chuckling... AA - figure out your 'promotions'

Also - did anyone else notice that the email headline reads "2014 elite status information" with no capitalization.

Seems sloppy...

Last edited by 310mrl; Oct 4, 2013 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, HH GLD, CC GLD, Hyatt PLT, IHG PLT Amb
I got this too, EXP but only have 38k EQM and 36k EQP... Offered PLT if I register and fly an additional 10k EQP. Useless. My mom is PLT who has requalified as GLD and hers just said to keep flying to hit an elite reward.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT
Current, EXP, only 31k miles so far this year, just received the offer to fly only 10k more to reach platinum. Same offer code, STR13. Was going to reach over 50k miles this year anyway so the offer doesn't mean much to me.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I'm an EXP sitting on 41,000 EQMs and 30,000 EQPs (I unfortunately got a lot of sub 500 mile travel this year). My offer was 5,000 EQP for PLT. I'll make it easily nevertheless, but I do think it's fair offer for both parties in lieu of soft landed.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
I received the same message brp.

Hello tucsnaz,
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXX

You know AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status has its benefits — like unlimited complimentary upgrades, systemwide upgrades, three free checked bags and more. We have good news — you're close to re-qualifying for the 2014 membership year.

With 70,016 AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles, 68,729 points and 69 segments you're almost there. Just keep flying American or our elite-qualifying participant airlines to reach 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, points, or 100 segments by the end of the year.

I get nothing too!

Originally Posted by brp

They offered nothing

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I just got a "reminder" that I'm almost there (now ~90K).

Thing is, I've already booked enough trips to reach 100K in Dec. Oh right, the email also reminded me of Elite Rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.