Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:05 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Foob
New (confusing and kludge) website, new terminology & pricing schema...all rolled out 2 weeks before the winter holiday season? Seems like a bit of beta testing, a calendar, and some common sense might have helped the PR for this "enhancement." (where's the icon for dope-slap?)
Actually, this may have been an ideal time for AA to roll this out, as business travel generally decreases dramatically during the latter half of December.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I LIKE the changes. Fits very nicely into my goal of never paying change fees, especially that its just a slight premium over restricted economy. I've been booking Southwest more for this reason alone. Good job, AA.

I also believe a full scale pricing overhaul, like this, is overdue.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
They took away the ability to list by price, travel and arrival time etc. They were extremely useful functions to me.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I did a dummy booking and found it somewhat confusing. They have a line along the top with "Jan 10 Jan 11", etc., but on the selected day they spell out the month "January". That doesn't leave enough room for the calendar date. "January 1" instead of "January 12".

Thus, I cannot see the exact date I'm booking, only the preceeding and following dates.

There's other places where text overwrites itself.

The column headers (Choice, etc) are difficult to follow. Better if they boxed in the columns or made them alternating colors.

Let's hope they address these bugs soon.

Added: I'm using IE9 Windows 7.
I tried it, again, and got the poorly-rendered screen. Updating with F5 fixed it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Has anyone figured out a way to sort this thing by price yet?

I did a J/F search: LAS-MUC 12/28-1/1, All one world, and you have to go all the way to the bottom of the 4th page before it starts showing you non-AA flights.

Friggin' annoying.

-SF
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
Agree that's consistent from AA's profit maximization point of view (increasing total revenues by charging $25 for a bag that costs them, on the margin, an extra $1 or $2), but not with their public statements when they launched their bag fees that basically said that bundling is inherently evil per se.
OK, we'll just have to disagree on this. It seems that being against bundling and offering things separately, as they're doing now, is completely consistent, and not contradictory at all. The fact that they're taking some of these extras and grouping them together is completely different from the "bundling" of these options in with the base fare as was done previously. This is exactly what unbundling would/should look like. Offering each of, let's say, 4 different options completely separately, versus packaged at a discount has nothing to do with the "bundling" of these things into the base fare.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 am

Not Easier

Originally Posted by justforfun
Functions now missing:

1. The ability to see all the pages of flights at once.
2. The ability to sort the flights by departure time, arrival time, etc.

Unbelievable.
And the availability sort by price. Which they claim it does for you. But I have found mixed pricing within a page
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Plato1
And the availability sort by price. Which they claim it does for you. But I have found mixed pricing within a page
Exactly, I did a dummy search to LHR and found that the lowest fare was on page 3.

The 'included' is hard to find when you're looking for the return sector. The included being the default flight selection by the machine at the given price at the top of the screen.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Confusing indeed. You can price the outbound as just Choice, then select Choice Essential on the return and it will up the price by $68. Or, you can price the outbound as Choice Essential (which is $68 more than regular Choice), and the return will have Choice Essential as included. In the former, it still lists your outbound as just Choice, and not Essential.

I assume the Essential part affects the whole itinerary, even if you only selected it for the return.
On this point I don't know if it will apply to both legs necessarily. The AA demo indicates that you can choose different options for the return leg (higher, but not lower). Nowhere did I see that a bundle would apply to the whole trip.

On another note, I hope that with this roll out AA finally moves to the long rumored all electronic refund vouchers. I absolutely hate these paper things, and having to mail them back. It boggles my mind that they can't create an online "account" for us to keep our refunded amounts, a la southwest.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I personally don't like the round trip price vs. the one-way prices. I found the one-way prices to be easier to figure out which leg of a trip was making it more expensive so I could adjust if necessary. Now that seems to be much more difficult.

Also, I priced a flight from DFW to RNO and on the first non-stop it listed the round-trip price as like $559 and the second non-stop that day at $468. Yet when I selected the more expensive one, it put a negative price on the next page bringing the total down to $468. Very confusing. I think there are a lot of bugs to be worked out.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Avis CC, AMX Plat, SVO
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
They took away the ability to list by price, travel and arrival time etc. They were extremely useful functions to me.
Ditto... the "total travel time" sort was a very useful feature -- I find myself now having to look through all of the options to find that!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Weary of the "included" because its a lower bucket, which means they could be swiping cash because system won't show a negative rate.

Sure would like to see a -$150.00 fare on the return booked in Q.

Spock Seat. @:-)
Actually, it does show negative rates....with Q buckets no less

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
This is horrible and confusing

Please just let me select my own one-ways to build my trip!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
i actually like this change ... Given how often I have to change my reservations, paying $68 premium for Choice Essential seems like a no brainer (on top of all the other benefits)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:11 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Although I started this thread, I just noticed that one of the problems is the web browser used. I have tried 4 different versions of Firefox - and it will not load properly with any of them. Internet Explorer does work on some versions, but not all. Have not tried Chrome yet.

I find it hard to believe that a company like AA would release such a buggy web interface. I would presume that will drive away customers and sales this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.