Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
As for the "Choice" vs "Choice Essential,"

It's not really simple, and it's not a "free bag." They're simply bundling things that they would otherwise sell separately in order to make more money. For example, that $68 RT fee, would come out to $34 one way. That $34 can be broken down into $25 for a bag, and $9 for priority boarding, and no change fee in the unlikely event that you need to change your flight.

It's a genius money grabbing plan since very few people actually pay for priority boarding, or need their flights changed. Basically, they're selling you all this stuff you're never going to use just to check a bag.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
who checks 3 bags anyway? I can't imagine many people having a need for this.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by diburning

It's a genius money grabbing plan since very few people actually pay for priority boarding, or need their flights changed. Basically, they're selling you all this stuff you're never going to use just to check a bag.
A lot of people do want to make flight changes; I probably make changes to around 40% of my bookings and book fares with no change penalties because of it

Originally Posted by nomaadic
I know quite a few people who check bags; when going diving I can easily use up 3 items with cylinders, other dive gear and a piece of general stuff. Taking 2 pieces is hardly uncommon thing that I do

That some people don't want to make changes and don't want to take luggage does not extrapolate out to "not many" wanting to do this. I tend to see a lot of people at airports checking multiple bags in

I would suggest that on quite a few journeys, those not checking any luggage are in the minority
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by nomaadic
Virtually everyone in my org travels long haul with equipment, so upgrading to get 3 x 70lbs allowance often actually saves money over paying high baggage fees.
One of my non-status colleagues made the mistake of traveling KLM, SFO-AMS-NBO, and was charged $625 in baggage fees, which bags they promptly lost for a whole week after she reached Nairobi !! Naturally they refused to refund the fees.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:17 am

I will repeat my question:

Does this mean one have to buy only one way fares in order to have some functionality like old system? Any disadvantage to buying two one way tickets instead of a round trip ticket?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by qazw1

Does this mean one have to buy only one way fares in order to have some functionality like old system? Any disadvantage to buying two one way tickets instead of a round trip ticket?
Not all fares are one-way eligible, especially in international markets. And you would pay the change fee twice if changing your one-way ticket.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by qazw1

One disadvantage is that on at least some of the itineraries, the few I checked, the round trip price is less than the total of the same 2 flights purchased as one ways.

My note to the AA rep (in addition to the sorting issue and the inability to see all fares on one page - how hard is that?, and the randomness of the fare order, and the increased time it takes to search for fares) is this:

I feel like, in effect, I am being asked to pay more for the no-change-fee option (the only one that would interest me) than a non-status customer. I have already "paid" for the ability to take free bags and to priority board and to standby same day and to have a premium beverage by purchasing enough tickets to obtain status. Now, in order to get no change fee, I have to pay for them again.

(As an aside, I wonder how Citi feels about these new options. First their product became less attractive because miles from charges stopped counting toward million miler status, now people can get the free bag and priority boarding that their revised card offers when they purchase the no change fee option. There has to be a group out there for whom this makes the Citi AA card less valuable.)

Last edited by Ord Liza; Dec 13, 2012 at 6:23 am Reason: add
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I really liked the old AA booking pages and I hate these. I'll try using multicity/booking by schedule--thanks for the hint.
As an EXP, for me booking by phone in and of itself entails no additional cost, but as I frequently use promo codes, it is a more expensive option.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rfrost
I really liked the old AA booking pages and I hate these. I'll try using multicity/booking by schedule--thanks for the hint.
As an EXP, for me booking by phone in and of itself entails no additional cost, but as I frequently use promo codes, it is a more expensive option.
5% off a $149 base fare to NRT/PVG isn't too much comparative to the cost of the ticket.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by brettharmon
Expressed my discontent to AA's Twitter person this morning after I assumed the site was broken. Turns out it simply doesn't work with Google Chrome.

What an epic failure.
Especially since I have a program that doesn't work on Macs and I'm not returning to Internet Exploder ever again (except if I have to play Tetris Battle during the latest bug issues with Chrome)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Especially since I have a program that doesn't work on Macs and I'm not returning to Internet Exploder ever again (except if I have to play Tetris Battle during the latest bug issues with Chrome)
Jeez guys.. all you have to do is clear you cache in chrome and it works fine..

--Chrome on a Mac user..
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
I realize this is beating a dead horse.. but to have a round trip fare while selecting the leg out and then on the return finding options that are -$x, included, positive $x is absurd, unnecessarily complex & stupid.

I feel like just booking 2 one ways is the best way to go about it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Completely Craptacular.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by brettharmon
Expressed my discontent to AA's Twitter person this morning....
Oh my God! Vent on Twitter!? AA's in trouble now...
If Twitter was shutdown, I'd bet the AA website wouldn't look like this!

Spock Seat :-:
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Did anybody notice that when you click for more details on the new fare descriptions, the matrix that pops up has a row at the very bottom called "Systemwide Upgrade Eligible". Sounds like this could be a precursor to only certain inventory classes being eligible for SWUs. Yikes.
I saw that, and one of my AA codeshares on JL had a checkmark. Of course, I called the EXP desk to tell me that checkmark is not true. Almost had a fantasy there for a moment (back in the days when 25K upgraded CX for free).

Spock Seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.