Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA announce service to Seoul ICN, Lima LIM, Dusseldorf DUS, Dublin DUB [24 Oct 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA announce service to Seoul ICN, Lima LIM, Dusseldorf DUS, Dublin DUB [24 Oct 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Nice to see some Europe and Asia growth.

IMO DFW-ICN was one of the few additions that AA needed to make (LAX-PEK, DFW-HKG and maybe JFK-PVG as well) in order to have a decent Asia network.

The only one that left my scratching my head was ORD-DUS but then again glad to see ORD get in on the growth as well.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but JFKDUB appears to be planned for year-round, making Dublin year-round again as ORDDUB remains seasonal.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MtRoot
JL lounge in ICN was closed recently and they now use KE lounge instead (not sure why not CX). I'm wondering which one AA is going to use.
I was just there in May and thought the lounge was very nice. Nothing like the OZ F lounge or KE F lounge but it did have adequate bar selection and nice Arne Jacobsen Egg Chairs.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but JFKDUB appears to be planned for year-round, making Dublin year-round again as ORDDUB remains seasonal.
Is ORD-DUS Year round as well?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Xero
AA doesn't seem to have any interest in making it easy to get to India though East Asia. I still don't understand why.
Because it's impossible for a NAmerican carrier to make money flying to India from NAmerica since nobody buys tickets at their face value.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Himeno
AA could use the former JL lounge...
I'm not sure AA is going to open a standalone lounge to support 1 flight at ICN.

Regards
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Exactly. It was ridiculous that AA's presence in Germany was one DFW-FRA flight. This is more like it. ^
Ummm... so you consider AA going from one flight to two flights, to be a significant increase in "presence" for AA in Germany?

Regards
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:58 am

DFW-ICN ^
I can't wait to fly AA on this route.
And the cargo business is what's probably going to keep this route profitable as OZ recently announced cargo for this route to compete with KE.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: Too many
Nice to see that AA is expanding, especially in Chicago. I hope we see HKG and AMS announced sometime in the future as well from one of their US hubs.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm not sure AA is going to open a standalone lounge to support 1 flight at ICN.

Regards
Then they could share the CX lounge then depending on the flight times, that lounge could stay open longer instead of opening and closing 3 times each day.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I see DFW-ICN as being very reasonable as there has been no direct NA to ICN on OW, whereas *A and ST has quite an extensive network of flights from NA to ICN. I am curious why AA chose DFW vs. ORD as flights to Beijing and Shanghai leave from ORD. But as someone mentioned, this can allow DFW to SA connections as well as more domestic connections at DFW.

The ORD-DUS route is interesting as AA cut the ORD-FRA route a couple of years ago. However the DUS route may be better as they will get some AB connections to continental Europe. Now if they will build a real OW lounge at DUS, it would be nice, as BA closed their lounge at DUS earlier this year and AB doesn't have any "real" lounges, but rather just private waiting areas for business class passengers and only their own elites.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
I'd completely agree, especially since the CX lounge is there. JL uses the KE lounge because JL and KE have a codeshare on all Seoul-Tokyo flights that the other operates. I preferred the KE, OZ, and CX lounges on the concourse to the JL lounge so I won't miss it. The DFW-ICN works for a lot of east coast connections as well (MIA and BOS the two biggest opportunites in that regard to me for AA, due to the higher amounts of AA elites in both markets compared to other east coast markets that don't already have nonstop ICN service). KE used to fly BOS-ICN, there is some level of demand certainly here (not enough to support a nonstop though likely).
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Because it's impossible for a NAmerican carrier to make money flying to India from NAmerica since nobody buys tickets at their face value.
I said "through East Asia". I didn't say nonstop. AA could easily codeshare HKG and NRT to India flights and allow mile redemptions.

Also, people try to fly the cheapest they can, to any market.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Xero
I said "through East Asia". I didn't say nonstop. AA could easily codeshare HKG and NRT to India flights and allow mile redemptions.

Also, people try to fly the cheapest they can, to any market.
Indeed. As thrilled as I am to get DFW-ICN, I'll likely never buy a ticket on it that makes AA a whole lot of money.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Perhaps there was/is something to (some of) these comments:

- New F Flagship amenity kits coming in Dec/Jan

- AA wants to run Korean out of DFW-ICN market

- Close to announcing service to IST

- Flagship F will begin a "wine tasting" program in 1Q13

- New branding will be out before the end of the year

- AA's position on a merger will become clear by Thanksgiving

- AA/B6 relationship to become, um, closer

- AE pulling out of some small Carib markets and will codeshare with TBA carrier

- New AAdvantage tier possible - between PLT and EXPLT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.