Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA announce service to Seoul ICN, Lima LIM, Dusseldorf DUS, Dublin DUB [24 Oct 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA announce service to Seoul ICN, Lima LIM, Dusseldorf DUS, Dublin DUB [24 Oct 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:36 am

According to the CX forum Dallas-Hong Kong will begin in 2014

so long, typical cx, takes about 4 times as long as any other airlines to launch a new destination!, explains why their destination number sits at 50!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by carlosdca
From the press release:

There is 1hr15min between arrival of AA2193 LIM-DFW and departure of AA27 DFW-ICN. This is an international to international connection.

According to http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ting_Times_(AA) the MCT for II is 1hr. So that would work.

But MCT for ID is 1:30.

How is that possible?
Aren't the II and ID processes exactly the same at DFW?
(II also requires passport control, collect and drop off bag, security).
Where is the time saving on II? I have never done an II at DFW or anywhere US, so I was just wondering if the info on the wiki is correct regarding I-I 1 hour MCT at DFW.
I believe, and somebody will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but DFW is one of the airports with the exception where for I-I connections (with participating airlines of which AA is one) you don't have to collect baggage for the transit, just stop at immigration, which speeds up the ability to do an I-I connection vs an I-D connection.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by wrp96
I believe, and somebody will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but DFW is one of the airports with the exception where for I-I connections (with participating airlines of which AA is one) you don't have to collect baggage for the transit, just stop at immigration, which speeds up the ability to do an I-I connection vs an I-D connection.
There is a "lounge" in the sterile zone, but I believe it is only for passengers transiting without visas. Every colleague of mine who has transited through DFW has needed to clear passport control and retrieve their bags, and then re-clear security. Maybe I missed it on my returns from MEX, but I am near certain that I-I connections aren't any faster.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Xero
AA doesn't seem to have any interest in making it easy to get to India though East Asia. I still don't understand why.
+1 hope this changes.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Sample of possible Same Day Connections for Flight 26
ORD
MCI
LGA
MIA
DTW
CLE
DCA
MCO
STL
IAH
SAT
DEN
MSP (This one would be kind of tight)
RDU
CVG
CMH
BOS
MEX
GRU
GIG
SCL
LIM
OMA
STL
TUL
OKC
PHL
EWR

This is just a sample of some of the possible connections. Several real important ones if you ask me.
IMHO AA should start at least BUF or ROC-DFW. Going through YYZ is good, but it's really the pain.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Of course, one interesting GSA city pair is HNL-HKG with AA being the contract carrier. So, I suppose there is no reason AA could not have bid DFW-ICN.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
DFW to HKG on CX may be cool... I guess that must be like a sixteen-seventeen hour flight.... and if it is CX then there is no concern about the fourteen hour limit on AA pilots, which is the reason why flights to PVG and PEK are flown from ORD
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Xero
AA doesn't seem to have any interest in making it easy to get to India though East Asia. I still don't understand why.
A Pacific connection for India makes more sense than an Atlantic one if you're on the West Coast- but even there it doesn't save as much fuel over an Atlantic connection as the East Coast Atlantic connection saves over a Pacific connection does. It makes sense that they would funnel awards to go over the Atlantic rather than over the Pacific given where AA's strengths are.

Originally Posted by Kachjc
According to the CX forum Dallas-Hong Kong will begin in 2014

so long, typical cx, takes about 4 times as long as any other airlines to launch a new destination!, explains why their destination number sits at 50!
Better that CX start the route with the right kind of equipment and having a better idea that it will turn a profit than doing something like what TG did in flying JFK-BKK and having to cough it up when it loses a bunch of money.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtraveler19
DFW to HKG on CX may be cool... I guess that must be like a sixteen-seventeen hour flight.... and if it is CX then there is no concern about the fourteen hour limit on AA pilots, which is the reason why flights to PVG and PEK are flown from ORD
The duty day limitation of the old AA pilot contract is no more (as of Sept 4 when the bankruptcy court granted AA's motion to reject the pilot agreement). AA can now plan and fly any routes its planes can fly.

PVG is flown from Chicago because that's the gateway AA specified in its application - at that time, the pilots had not yet become angry about management's variable compensation and had granted the side letter permitting the DEL flight. Had AA wanted to apply for DFW-PVG, the pilots would have likely cooperated.

When AA applied for DFW-PEK, the pilots refused to cooperate, but the application made no sense as the ORD-PEK O&D was much higher than from DFW. DL tried to fly nonstop to China from ATL and it didn't last. DFW-China adds unnecessary distance and would feature lower O&D (meaning more connecting traffic at lower average fares). IMO, had AA applied for ORD-PEK, the same arguments that had carried the day with its successful PVG application earlier (competition with entrenched UA at ORD) would have delivered the route to AA. Instead, UA won with its IAD-PEK application.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
According to http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ing_Times_(AA) the MCT for II is 1hr. So that would work.

But MCT for ID is 1:30.

How is that possible?
Aren't the II and ID processes exactly the same at DFW?
(II also requires passport control, collect and drop off bag, security).
Where is the time saving on II? I have never done an II at DFW or anywhere US, so I was just wondering if the info on the wiki is correct regarding I-I 1 hour MCT at DFW.
I checked the wiki and while the information was correct as of the last update, AA has changed the MCT slightly to I-I 1:10 and I-D 1:20 (or 1:25 equipment widebody -> all). The wiki has been updated with today's information for DFW.

I agree with you, I don't get where the time savings is on I-I vs. I-D, other than the (unverified) hypothesis that all Is (arrivals and departures) are in the same terminal so you're guaranteed no AirTrain, for which there's time baked in the I-D MCT but would not be necessary for the I-I one.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I called reservations today to inquire about booking AA2193 DFW-LIM and was told the flight is not yet available. I'm a bit surprised the flight is not listed yet since the first flight is just 5 months away.

I have a group of 27 going to Lima in May and at least one passenger (my wife) wants to book an award ticket. Unless someone here has inside information, I guess I'll just have to check online every day to see when it becomes available. If you can draw on past experience to make an educated guess as to when it will be available, feel free to speculate.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by FrogProf
I called reservations today to inquire about booking AA2193 DFW-LIM and was told the flight is not yet available. I'm a bit surprised the flight is not listed yet since the first flight is just 5 months away.

I have a group of 27 going to Lima in May and at least one passenger (my wife) wants to book an award ticket. Unless someone here has inside information, I guess I'll just have to check online every day to see when it becomes available. If you can draw on past experience to make an educated guess as to when it will be available, feel free to speculate.
As quoted on the first post of this thread and from the press release :

Customers can begin booking travel for all these routes beginning Nov. 4.
No need to speculate On November 4th. You are welcome.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by blakepilot
DFW-ICN is like Christmas coming early for me. No more TYO connections! ^^^
How nice for you. Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:24 pm

Korean air is to increase DFW-ICN from 5/w to daily from May 6th, 2013, 3 days before AA launches.

Edit: until end of August. Back to 5/w from Sep.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:49 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Korean air is to increase DFW-ICN from 5/w to daily from May 6th, 2013, 3 days before AA launches.

Edit: until end of August. Back to 5/w from Sep.
Which has happened in past summer seasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.