Search

TripIt no longer tracking aadvantage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pittpanther
You know, a customer-friendly company would implement and release a "read only" API - an API that only supports reading your balance, etc, but does not allow an active role in redeeming miles, booking flights, whatever.
It's not the API that's the issue. Unless a separate password were set up for this read-only API, then the password is still at risk even with this limited API. If that gets compromised, then it can be used on the full access API.

I'm agreeing that AA are woefully behind the times here, I just don't think that this is the solution.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:52 pm
Company Representative - AwardWallet

Originally Posted by brp
It's not the API that's the issue. Unless a separate password were set up for this read-only API, then the password is still at risk even with this limited API. If that gets compromised, then it can be used on the full access API.

I'm agreeing that AA are woefully behind the times here, I just don't think that this is the solution.

Cheers.
Actually by definition a "read-only API" implies that you would not be giving away your password to third party websites. OAuth 2 is designed to do just that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth

It is easy to implement, and many websites, such as Facebook, use it today. You can authorize someone to see some of your data on Facebook but you are not giving them your Facebook password. One of our developer implemented this OAuth 2 protocol in about 1 - 2 days.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by veresch
Actually by definition a "read-only API" implies that you would not be giving away your password to third party websites. OAuth 2 is designed to do just that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth

It is easy to implement, and many websites, such as Facebook, use it today. You can authorize someone to see some of your data on Facebook but you are not giving them your Facebook password. One of our developer implemented this OAuth 2 protocol in about 1 - 2 days.
Excellent! Thanks for the link.

(I will take one exception, though - "read only" API does not, by definition, imply anything about the use of credentials. It's simply an interface that doesn't allow modification of data. OAuth is a particular implementation that does have credential implications.)

While I work in complex software development, it's pretty clear that I don't work in web technology, and wasn't aware of this (in retrospect, very obvious) development.

Of course, one the third parties have that data, even if read only, what other things might they be doing with it, besides just showing it to the user?

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jul 13, 2012 at 9:21 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pittpanther
You know, a customer-friendly company would implement and release a "read only" API - an API that only supports reading your balance, etc, but does not allow an active role in redeeming miles, booking flights, whatever.
In the olden days we use to have separate passwords on our databases that granted read-only or read-write access. Have we gotten away from that?

Besides, I don't think it's what the app might do, but what people might do with the information from the app... Even with read-only access there would be enough data made available someone could call and book something. Does this fall into pretexting?

Sites that believe they are the be-all their users need should get some fresh air. There are effective ways to manage cooperative agreements and everyone wins. Unfortunately users have become the commodity and the data/service is a far second.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Did you use Google Translate for that? I suspect there may be some truth to that. The "read-only API" info here would seem to support that, IMO.

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
The excuse when they pulled from awardwallet was security concerns, which I read as "we're missing out on page views to our site and hence missing eyeballs for the advertising and promotions on aa.com"
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA seems to be blocking other programs that track miles balances and the like as well. I have been waiting for this shoe to fall, unfortunately. This will not make me move away from TripIt Pro, as it's too valuable for me - but AA seems bent on controlling our miles information, possibly due to "security concerns" - the 2000's response for all kinds of airline-related travesties.

(re-titled slightly to show this is an actual and factual condition, and not a question.)
Slightly off topic, but what do you think are the most valuable parts of Pro?

I had the service through Amex Platinum last year and found the flight status updates, baggage claim notices, etc. convenient but not indispensable (you can find this information elsewhere too.)

I really like the service for managing itineraries, but are there other benefits I am missing? Flight refund alerts?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Also off topic, the flight refund alerts are not so useful, because they often are not matches in the full fare detail and iirc not accurate in including the change fees. Mostly, it's having it all in one place and the updates - AA certainly doesn't provide many updates or change notices, and though I have apps I can use individually for various things it's the convenience factor I like.

What I do not like is the inability AA imposed on TripIt to get my AAdvantage account data. I think it's more than about "security" - and some folks here have ideas about that.

Originally Posted by corporateslave
Slightly off topic, but what do you think are the most valuable parts of Pro?

I had the service through Amex Platinum last year and found the flight status updates, baggage claim notices, etc. convenient but not indispensable (you can find this information elsewhere too.)

I really like the service for managing itineraries, but are there other benefits I am missing? Flight refund alerts?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver

What I do not like is the inability AA imposed on TripIt to get my AAdvantage account data. I think it's more than about "security" - and some folks here have ideas about that.
Another consideration is, once they've gotten your data, and shown it to you....they have your data. Even if it's a read only interface, and they have no access to your account password for booking purposes, they still have possession of data that would potentially be valuable to....some.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Nikon Shooter
I received the same email. Not sure it matters about the points tracking in the grand scheme of things.

My concern is the proactive flight monitoring. Is AA shutting off access to everything or just point totals?

I was very impressed with Tripit last week when I received a message that my flight would be delayed by an hour. The amazing thing is that I received the message 11 hours before my departure. AA EXP Desk said the flight was on time until 30 minutes before departure. The departure time moved 15 minutes later and then again, you guessed it, another 15 minutes later. As Tripit called it 11 hours earlier, the flight took off 1 hour late. I am curious how Tripit knows more about AA's flights that AA knows or is willing to share.

I hope this is a point monitoring only event and not a precursor to something more.
Nikon Shooter: I'm delighted to hear that TripIt Pro helped you out on
your recent trip. Rest assured that although we can no longer track your
American Airlines points, this change does not impact TripIt Pro flight
monitoring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.