Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 inch Kids' Balance Bike as a Carry On?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Question 12 inch Kids' Balance Bike as a Carry On?

Hello,

I'm looking at traveling with a 12in balance bike I'm bringing as a gift. Ideally, I'd like to take it as carry on. Fully assembled, the bike's dimensions are L: 34.5 x W: 4.5 x H: 19.75. Disassembled, in the box it came on, dimensions are L: 27.8 x W: 6.1 H: 12.6 in. The bike is pretty flat (no pedals and you can shift the handle's position).

I could either disassemble it and put the pieces in my bag (the longest piece, the frame, is a little over 20 in, so it may fit) or bring it in it's shipping box, which exceeds posted dimensions. Let's assume I disassemble it and can get it to the carry on dimensions, would I be allowed to take it in my carry on? I'm worried about it fitting in the overhead but also about TSA saying the frame may be a weapon or something like that-I mean, anything could be a weapon if you hard try enough.

My flight is AUS-DFW-MEX. I'm EXP and I'm hoping I'll be upgraded, but I may end up in Y, if that makes a difference.

Do you have experience or recommendations?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
My guess is that the TSA would not let you through screening with tubular metal parts 20" long. While they don't specifically call out such things on their list of carry-on prohibited items

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ibited-items#7

I think they would err on the side of caution and note the similarity to things such as baseball bats and large tools.

My personal example is that they would not allow me to carry on a 5" long piece of 1.25" diameter steel cable (it was a test article), claiming it could be used as a weapon.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I recommend that you don't wrap it. I've seen numerous gifts have to be unwrapped at screening check points. I'm not sure what gift wrap can conceal from the X-ray machine but apparently it has secret powers.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
My guess is that the TSA would not let you through screening with tubular metal parts 20" long. While they don't specifically call out such things on their list of carry-on prohibited items

I think they would err on the side of caution and note the similarity to things such as baseball bats and large tools.

My personal example is that they would not allow me to carry on a 5" long piece of 1.25" diameter steel cable (it was a test article), claiming it could be used as a weapon.
this is what I'm worried about. they're very inconsistent so I'd be risking it (I've travelled with a 25 pound kettlebell in my carry on, for example...). I may just throw it Assembled in a larger suitcase and check it.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
I recommend that you don't wrap it. I've seen numerous gifts have to be unwrapped at screening check points. I'm not sure what gift wrap can conceal from the X-ray machine but apparently it has secret powers.
Agreed. I will not wrap it, I'll just put a gift bow on it when I get there
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
If you have any thought of taking it through TSA, definitely leave it flat-packed in its original package. I imagine that without any box cutters or scissors, it will be impossible to remove the tube from the packaging, anyways. Plus at 6" deep, the cabin crew can probably slide it into a closet or behind the last row of F if it happens not to fit in the overhead compartment easily. But I would still leave plenty of time / have a backup plan to check it in case TSA goes 'stupid' on you. Maybe have someone drop you off at the airport and hang around with an extra suitcase full of bubble wrap in the trunk of the car until you text them that you made it through security...

If you are going to check it, once again, leave it flat-packed in the original box. The packaging should be designed to protect the contents fairly well during shipping. Then wrap it with bubble wrap or other padding (crumpled newspaper, clothing, etc) so that it is immobilized inside the suitcase you plan to check. By immobilized, I mean that you should feel comfortable dropping the suitcase from waist height in any orientation without being afraid it will damage the package... because that is the kind of handling that suitcases get at airports.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

I tend to disagree. It amazes me what's allowed through security. I see people carrying skateboards onto the plane all the time. Talk about a potential weapon.....
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I tend to disagree. It amazes me what's allowed through security. I see people carrying skateboards onto the plane all the time. Talk about a potential weapon.....
I could absolutely do more damage and be more dangerous with a skateboard than with a 5" piece of cable. I think the point here is that the TSA is likely to be arbitrary in the case of the OP's bike.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:58 am

Way old data point, but I brought a kids bike on a plane to Geneva three years ago, even got it through Heathrow security. Doubt I would be able to get it through there again, but you should be able to get it through TSA here. As others have said, be prepared to check it if you get someone on an off day.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Also be worried about AA making you put it in the baggage sizer which it wont fit and its also past the 45linear in carry-on limit, make it easier on your fellow travelers and check it.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Also be worried about AA making you put it in the baggage sizer which it wont fit and its also past the 45linear in carry-on limit, make it easier on your fellow travelers and check it.
Id only try to fly it carry on if disassembled it fits in my bag which is under the 45 in limit in all dimensions.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
So why can't you check it?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
So why can't you check it?
I can,I just don't want to check it.

If that's my only option I'll have to check it but at this point in thinking about getting there early and trying to get it through security. If it doesn't work, go back and check it.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mbece
Id only try to fly it carry on if disassembled it fits in my bag which is under the 45 in limit in all dimensions.
Ah got it, I misunderstood the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.