Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
No problem. Also, in case anyone is interested, you can do this for a BA redemption flight as well. The redeemed BA miles for the ticket and then called to switch my FF # to AA so I would be recognized as oneworld elite status.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Izushisobaman
thanks!
All good news. I think the new benefits are only for bookings made after April 2 per the card's T&C, but not sure this is enforced.

I went ahead and got my flight ticketed on AA through BA Avios. If you don't want to call BA (and wait in a long phone queue of Chase credit card customers trying to fly to Easter Island), just plug your reservation # into Finn Air's site and you can swap out your BA EC # for your AAdvantage # there. Took 30 seconds.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
All good news. I think the new benefits are only for bookings made after April 2 per the card's T&C, but not sure this is enforced.

I went ahead and got my flight ticketed on AA through BA Avios. If you don't want to call BA (and wait in a long phone queue of Chase credit card customers trying to fly to Easter Island), just plug your reservation # into Finn Air's site and you can swap out your BA EC # for your AAdvantage # there. Took 30 seconds.
Yep, that's what I did on a recent Avios booking (AA metal). Worked like a charm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: United, NW, Delta, AMERICAN
To add to the shared knowledge, for what it's worth, here's my experience with the new perks, so far:

Booked a round trip to Europe for two about a month ago (travel starting early July). Booked outbound online on May 15th, & return a couple of days later, using 120,000 AA miles total. I did use my existing AAdvantage Platinum World MC to pay the taxes/fees. A couple of days ago, 10,000 AA miles were posted to my Aadvantage account, so it took about 4 weeks for this part of the deal to happen.

Obviously, we won't need the free checked bag bonus for this trip (unless we get a second one free?), but it still sounds like the priority boarding question is still somewhat open. I'm guessing maybe so, since I did get the mileage rebate. Of course, this might not be the best test, since I did use the AA card, instead of some other, for part of the booking.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:24 pm

Re: 10% Back on Your Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles

I was just approved.

How soon can I redeem and get this perk since I'm aboout to redeem 300000 miles for two oneworld tickets...

TIA!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Amex MR, UR, AA, UA
Originally Posted by vickh
Re: 10% Back on Your Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles

I was just approved.

How soon can I redeem and get this perk since I'm aboout to redeem 300000 miles for two oneworld tickets...

TIA!
Unfortunate that there is a 10k/yr cap
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Cardmembers that currently have a Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature,Citi® Plati Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard, Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard and Citi® Select® / AAdvantage® American Express will start enjoying these benefits today! If you have a questions about benefits or eligibility, please call the Customer Service number listed on the back of your Citi card.
This apparently is not true. Not all current holders of the cards listed above get the new benefits. I have had the Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard for 18 years. I called Citi as I can benefit from the 10% rebate on AAdvantage awards. They said my card doesn't qualify. I e-mailed them twice more- both responses said no. I then contacted AA AAdvantage and they said my card is not scheduled to receive those benefits. She said not all existing cards are receiving the new benefits. So, those of you with older cards, don't assume you have new benefits.

I am now think about calling Citi to see if I can convert to a new card. But I don't want them showing that my 18 yr. old card has been cancelled and new credit established as that will affect my credit score. Hopefully they can issue a new card with a new number without reporting new credit.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I have had the Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard for 18 years.
How do you know? Does it says every single one of those words on the card?

(The terms in the post you quoted in general do not tend to match what's written on the front of the card, making it very difficult to figure out from the post you quoted if your old card qualifies for these benefits or not.)

I don't thinki those terms all existed 18 years ago, did they? (At best, you could have had an AAdvantage® MasterCard for 18 years, but I doubt that it was called Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard all that time.)
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:45 pm

I know because right on the front of it it says Citi AAdvantage World Elite Platinum Select and it's a Mastercard. And it says I've been with them since 1994. I really don't know if it was called that exact name 18 years ago. It's irrelevant in a way- the post from AA on this forum said that those with existing Citi AAdvantage World Elite Platinum Select Mastercards would get the new benefits, which include among other things the 10% rebate on awards. My point in citing the years is that I don't want my great credit report to show that I cancelled an old card and established new credit.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know because right on the front of it it says Citi AAdvantage World Elite Platinum Select and it's a Mastercard. And it says I've been with them since 1994. I really don't know if it was called that exact name 18 years ago. It's irrelevant in a way- the post from AA on this forum said that those with existing Citi AAdvantage World Elite Platinum Select Mastercards would get the new benefits, which include among other things the 10% rebate on awards. My point in citing the years is that I don't want my great credit report to show that I cancelled an old card and established new credit.
You can get a new card and even get the sign up bonus because having an old existing card does not seem to exclude you from the "this offer is only good for first time cardholder only" clause.

In fact, get a pair - apply them simultaneously via different browser. Google two browser trick you would get enough hits to guide you thru - if you can handle the $3K spend in 4 months on each card, you would be 2 x 40K AA miles richer.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know because right on the front of it it says Citi AAdvantage World Elite Platinum Select and it's a Mastercard.
Well, mine (which I've had since 2009) seems different. It's a MasterCard too, but it says "WORLD" right above the MasterCard logo, and says "PLATIMUM LEVEL" at the very bottom, under my name and to the right of Member Since. Nowhere can I find the words "Elite" or "Select".

In other words, my card looks like the one on this page:

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ld-mastercard/

except it has white wording "5466" and "Valid from" and "Expiration date" below the embossed card number, has light grey "AAdvantage # XXXXXXX" at the top, and has a grey background instead of the blueish background shown in this picture.

Note that while that web page identifies the card you're applying for as "Select", the word "Select" is not shown anywhere on that card.

Can you please explain exactly where on your card is says "Elite" and where on your card it says "Select"? Thanks.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reason: added link to page which shows a card very similar to mine
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:26 pm

It says World Elite right above my account number. It says Platinum Select at the very bottom, below my name.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says World Elite right above my account number. It says Platinum Select at the very bottom, below my name.
When did you (last) get the card? My current AA MC card was issued mid-2011 and perhaps they updated them with that language more recently?

Though I got an AA Visa this past November, and it also doesn't have any "Select" on it, although the application landing page called it a Select card. Though the AA Amex I got at the same time (using the two-browser-type trick) does say "SELECT" at the very bottom.

Btw, I've seen another confusion from other threads about whether older cards qualifying for the new benefits: I thought it was claimed somewhere that if you qualify for the new benefits your annual fee goes up to $95, but people still seem to be getting mostly $85 annual fees still (on cards that claimed $85 annual fee when they applied for them).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
When did you (last) get the card? My current AA MC card was issued mid-2011 and perhaps they updated them with that language more recently?

:
It expires in June 2015, so I suspect I got it last year.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Has anyone actually gotten the 10% mileage rebate?

If so, how long did it take?

How did it appear on your AAdvantage statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.