Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 2012, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Your ticketing situation is worse than the average, even for this complicated type of award. Yet, it's not uncommon to encounter problems with telephone agents or with the behind-the-scenes ticketing department. For whatever reason, the agents often have problems explaining to customers what their system (or the ticketing department) is telling them. Sometimes, the agents just invent scenarios that they think will placate customers who don't know any better. I'm sure AA realizes these problems, but I haven't seen much improvement during the years I've been following these awards. Occasionally, a customer will get an extremely knowledgeable telephone agent who works wonders. It's purely the luck of the draw.

A ticket alone would not be enough to get you on a flight. If there's no reservation and, for example, the flight is full, you won't be boarding that flight. The more common problem is a reservation without a ticket number to support it. That's far more fixable at the airport (assuming you've actually been ticketed).

You're stuck with an electronic ticket, which has numerous advantages over paper. (Believe it or not.)

If you'll post your final itinerary (without dates to protect your privacy), I'll take a shot at calculating the taxes, etc. for you. Be sure to specify the airline for each segment, class of service, and whether you're connecting or stopping over at the end of each segment.

Last edited by Austinrunner; May 11, 2012 at 12:19 am
Old May 10, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Your ticketing situation is worse than the average...
Glad to know that, 'cause it would be hard to justify the last ten days and do this again next year.

But having said that, it honestly seems as if this is a normal experience when booking an Explore AAward. So many events were repeated. Up until the last day. The last phone call.

As I write, I'm still waiting on the "revised" (2x) ticketing number for one itinerary. The problem one. So it's still not over. STILL.

And this is after a 1.45 hour phone call. Third long phone talk today and each agent had told me the ticket was "good to go".

But I called back to check anyway. Oh boy.

On the phone I'm laughing, sympathizing over their apologies, encouraging them to take their time, do what you have to do, I can keep myself occupied, don't worry about me.

But it's like giving a horrible waitperson a big tip. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, I'm still on the phone, fixing stuff, baby stepping to the "end".

Will it ever be over?

Then Austin, we have the airport experience to contend with?
Ouch. Really. OUCH!

It's awfully gracious of you:

U fare. Business

AA153 ORD-NRT - Connection
JAL707 BKK - Stop

CX713 BKK-SIN - Stop

CX714 SIN-HKG - Connection
CX767 HKG-SGN - Stop

Overland

KA296 HAN-HKG - Stop

RJ183 HKG-AMM - Connection
RJ344 AMM-TLV - Stop

RJ345 TLV-AMM - Stop

RJ109 AMM-MAD - Stop

IB6275 MAD-ORD - END

-------------------

You see we're flying 2,513 miles (SIN-HKG-SGN) to get from SIN-SGN (676).
We like flying (and saving money) but in a "general sense" is this crazy?

Last edited by zznoname; May 11, 2012 at 6:22 am
Old May 10, 2012, 7:07 pm

Just off the phone again. Good agent. Calls when there are challenges.

The tax today went from (rounded) $400. (gave $200 credit after checking) to $180. to $220. to $279. and now, after "fixing" (3rd time) the MAD-ORD leg, $250.

No joking.

Agent said they only do two or three of these a year. Maybe it's the office but could this be true?

Last edited by zznoname; May 10, 2012 at 7:23 pm
Old May 10, 2012, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zznoname
Agent said they only do two or three of these a year. Maybe it's the office but could this be true?
Nah, not true.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:06 pm
Suspended

All the following flights are in business class:

ORD -> NRT (AA) -> BKK (JL)
US International Departure Tax (US) $16.70*
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50*
Passenger Security Service Charge (OI) $6.30
Japan International Passenger Facility Charge (SW) $12.80
SUBTOTAL: $42.80

BKK -> SIN (CX)
Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) $22.60

SIN -> HKG (CX) -> SGN (CX)
Singapore Passenger Service Charge (SG) $11.20
Singapore Aviation Levy (OP) $4.90
Singapore Passenger Security Service Charge (OO) $6.40
SUBTOTAL: $22.50

HAN -> HKG (KA)
Vietnamese Passenger Service Charge (International) (JC) $16.00

HKG -> BKK (RJ) -> AMM (RJ) -> TLV (RJ)
Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK) $15.50
Jordan Civil Aviation Transfer Fee (KJ) $6.40
SUBTOTAL: $21.90

TLV -> AMM (RJ)
Israeli Departure Tax (IL) $25.10

AMM -> MAD (RJ)
Jordan Embarkation Tax (HQ) $42.30
Jordan Passenger Terminal Use Fee (NH) $8.50
SUBTOTAL: $50.80

MAD -> ORD (IB)
Spanish Airport Services Charge (JD) $14.30
Spanish Security Tax (QV) $2.90
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.70*
SUBTOTAL: $51.40

TOTAL: $253.10 (plus an IB fuel surcharge of not more than $38.88*)

*Had IB been omitted from this itinerary (and assuming that BA was not added), the taxes, etc. would have been about $76.78 lower.

Last edited by Austinrunner; May 11, 2012 at 2:17 am
Old May 11, 2012, 6:05 am

Thanks. How'd you do that?
The last charge was $256.30.
11 flights including IB.

BTW.
The correct itinerary came through with TICKET NUMBERS.
Paying different taxes but WHO CARES? It's finished.
Well.. waiting for the agent to give me a call this morning after she checks everything.

Thanks for the good tips yesterday. Important stuff. Thanks.
------------------------
Judging from recent experience, I'm thinking the IB flights are difficult to get in U.
The booking would fall off the reservation later the same day. AA would call to get it back and then at ticketing... well you know.

Last edited by zznoname; May 11, 2012 at 6:12 am
Old May 11, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by zznoname
Thanks. How'd you do that?
The last charge was $256.30.
11 flights including IB.

BTW.
The correct itinerary came through with TICKET NUMBERS.
Paying different taxes but WHO CARES? It's finished.
Well.. waiting for the agent to give me a call this morning after she checks everything.

Thanks for the good tips yesterday. Important stuff. Thanks.
------------------------
Judging from recent experience, I'm thinking the IB flights are difficult to get in U.
The booking would fall off the reservation later the same day. AA would call to get it back and then at ticketing... well you know.
ITA Matrix will show the tax breakdown, but without some knowledge it can be difficult to enter all the flights in the itinerary so that when breaking up into separate searches you don't create a non-existent stopover. Basically, search for the exact carriers/routing for each day of travel.
Old May 11, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: United, AA, USAir, SPG, HH, CC
Question regarding potential travel

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new on here but have done some award traveling, nothing like the One world explorer award offers though. so I just wanted to see if someone could give me a quick sanity check on my planned itinerary. I'll have to get positioning flights to MIA from DCA and from BOS to DCA but besides that I show the actual award coming in just a hair under 20k.

MIA-SCL-EZE-GIG-MAD-FCO-BER-BUD-HEL-ARN-CDG-MUC-VIE-PRG-LHR-BOS

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MIA-SCL...IE-PRG-LHR-BOS

Please let me know what you think or if anyone has suggestions.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:27 pm

I'd say it's a lot of good stuff for 20K flying.
But I'd check AA's numbers. You're awfully close to 20,000 miles flown and GC numbers sometimes are different than AA.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by naustin
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new on here but have done some award traveling, nothing like the One world explorer award offers though. so I just wanted to see if someone could give me a quick sanity check on my planned itinerary. I'll have to get positioning flights to MIA from DCA and from BOS to DCA but besides that I show the actual award coming in just a hair under 20k.

MIA-SCL-EZE-GIG-MAD-FCO-BER-BUD-HEL-ARN-CDG-MUC-VIE-PRG-LHR-BOS

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MIA-SCL...IE-PRG-LHR-BOS

Please let me know what you think or if anyone has suggestions.
Which oneworld carrier offers direct service ARN-CDG? And CDG-MUC?
Old May 14, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: United, AA, USAir, SPG, HH, CC
I saw it listed as JAL flights operated by Air France I believe. I was a little confused since Air France is obviously not a one world partner but figured it was OK since they were JAL flights. Am I missing something there?
Old May 14, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by naustin
I saw it listed as JAL flights operated by Air France I believe. I was a little confused since Air France is obviously not a one world partner but figured it was OK since they were JAL flights. Am I missing something there?
You can't ticket a codeshare in your award.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Here's a question:

Could I terminate an AA Explorer award in Brazil (GIG) without a Brazilian Visa and then immediately start a different award ticket with a 4 hour connection?

Example:

EZE - GIG on a oneWorld carrier; 4 hour in-airport layover in GIG
then GIG - LIS on TAP using a star alliance award ticket?

From an immigration/customs perspective, what are the dangers of doing this?
Old May 14, 2012, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by beofotch
Here's a question:

Could I terminate an AA Explorer award in Brazil (GIG) without a Brazilian Visa and then immediately start a different award ticket with a 4 hour connection?

Example:

EZE - GIG on a oneWorld carrier; 4 hour in-airport layover in GIG
then GIG - LIS on TAP using a star alliance award ticket?

From an immigration/customs perspective, what are the dangers of doing this?
You question really has nothing to do with oneworld awards, and would probably be better addressed in FT's Brazil forum (under "Destinations").
Old May 15, 2012, 4:00 pm

A JAL flight opened up ORD-NRT but we're on on AA153. Really exemplifies the challenges (impossibilities) of fine tuning Explorer RTW AAwards.

Probably should not have checked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.