Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New [delayed] destination: Arcata-Eureka, Humboldt County, California (ACV)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New [delayed] destination: Arcata-Eureka, Humboldt County, California (ACV)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
On an O/D basis, sure. But if one must travel ACV-JFK for example it's either ACV-LAX-JFK on AA or ACV-SFO-JFK on UA so for all intents and purposes the two are competing on the route, which the fares should reflect.
Right, but every route needs a level of O&D traffic in order to make money by charging a premium for the convenience of the nonstop. AA's cash cow is DFW and MIA, O&D to these airports are very expensive.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
On an O/D basis, sure. But if one must travel ACV-JFK for example it's either ACV-LAX-JFK on AA or ACV-SFO-JFK on UA so for all intents and purposes the two are competing on the route, which the fares should reflect.
Well, it must be some deal AA got from the ACV operators. They, ACV, must have been hell bent, perhaps from their business backers, to get more air service. AA can't do better for them to SFO than UA (I mean, come on, where the heck will AA take you from SFO compared to UA?)

So AA can get the ACV folks all the way to LAX (albeit on an RJ--but then the ACV folks are resigned to that) and that then gets you to the places AA goes to from LAX---which is not bad.

So, if you're an ACV resident, you do get an advantage of where you might want to connect to, maybe to places like SAF. They (UA) can get you to Shanghai, sure, and maybe with more seats to JFK than UA.

I've been to ACV many times in the past. Definitely a UA-owned airport. I remember when we would be taking the first flight out in the morning and the flight on UA (something like a 727 in the old days) would deadhead in from SFO. Boy that was before oil went through the roof. It really has traditionally been a place you fly to SFO too, although UA goes to SMF and maybe other places I'm forgetting.

I'll be interested to see how it does. It must be subsidized. I will bet the ranch it will fold when, and if, such subsidy fails. And, oh yeah, pretty country up there in Humboldt County. God's country. Great redwoods. Plenty of rain and mist, though. You can certainly spot a local. He/she will not sport a sun tan.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JY1024
Some background on this venture/route as reported by the Times Standard:

http://www.times-standard.com/breaki...rlines-venture
Link states article is no longer valid.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:55 pm

UA has many routes out of ACV, to Crescent City, Redding, Sacramento, SFO. From those cities, it goes to other places, like Texas and beyond.

With AA's only route to LAX, it's going to be a tough sell to the residents to make that leg far south unless AA makes the flights fairly frequent.

A big problem with ACV is the many delayed or canceled flights due to the weather conditions: fog.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by living near shamu
Link states article is no longer valid.
Interesting. It was valid this afternoon.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are two links that are active as of right now:

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/blo...ican-airlines/

http://www.times-standard.com/breaki...dt-county-says

Here's the cache of the earlier article linked above:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mary and Jane would agree with you; these crops generate more cash than any other of California's crops. You could even call it a holy crop.

BTW, eight miles south is the Samoa Cookhouse, a most interesting dining experience - a logging camp cookhouse and dining room operated much as it used to when it was stuffed to the gills with loggers. I know from working with the CHP any local CHP member will be able to direct you ('cause that's how I found out about it).

Do be aware early morning and late afternoon flights in particular can be canceled due to coastal fog - maybe especially in summer.

Originally Posted by Science Goy
It's a beautiful location, redwoods on one side and ocean on the other. And renowned for its... uh, cash crops.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
I've lived in cali all my life and had to look this place up.
Me too.

That's because the airport is actually called Arcata-Eureka airport, and Eureka is the more famous (outside the area) of the two towns.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
UA has many routes out of ACV, to Crescent City, Redding, Sacramento, SFO. From those cities, it goes to other places, like Texas and beyond.

With AA's only route to LAX, it's going to be a tough sell to the residents to make that leg far south unless AA makes the flights fairly frequent.

A big problem with ACV is the many delayed or canceled flights due to the weather conditions: fog.
Let me identify an elephant that is in the room: Frequent flyer loyalists in the Eureka/Arcata area. There is little doubt that the reservoir of mileage plus loyal-flying folks there far exceeds those of the AAdvantage program. One could debate me, but I still truly believe that, after seeing UA haul most of the flying in and out of there for decades.

So, IMHO, that will have a significant effect on flying decisions of the locals. Unless AA comes in at realistic prices (not unthinkable given how UA has enjoyed high prices here) UA will not suffer ill effects and will have an advantage that the nearest major connection hub (SFO) is dominated by UA, as it has for decades.

Sum up: Hope AA has run the numbers and looked at all the factors and assumptions. They could well be swimming upstream here. Look for UA to lower its prices to compete as needed. Nice for pax, yes. If that's the case, what will trump for the deciding pax? Undoubtedly the pax's long-standing FF program.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
All AA needs is a Triple EQM promo to/from ACV, done! There will be plenty of people coming in and out of here.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm assuming AA performed a market study and came up with supporting figures for ACV-LAX for connections that might be more desirable for some of the flying passengers than SFO. Then again, I suppose they did for ORD-DEL...

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 25, 2012 at 3:47 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Schedules are loaded, effective 14JUN12:
Code:
AA/** 3056 LAXACV 0750 0945 ERD
AA/** 3063 ACVLAX 1015 1220 ERD

AA/** 3072 LAXACV 1655 1850 ERD                 
AA/** 3055 ACVLAX 1920 2125 ERD
They actually look more timed towards an O&D of LAX passengers going to ACV for business than to capture ACV-originating traffic connecting through LAX.

MAH4546 as usual a big thanks and ^
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
The fares currently loaded aren't cheap.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is this because Horizon dropped ACV?

They flew in to ACV for years, but just this year dropped the route. Odd choice that AA are doing it to LAX and not SFO.

As an AA EXP with plenty of miles and family in ACV it's great, i can use miles to have them fly directly from there instead of having them drive to SFO. I just wish it was ACV-SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by rabble
They flew in to ACV for years, but just this year dropped the route. Odd choice that AA are doing it to LAX and not SFO.

As an AA EXP with plenty of miles and family in ACV it's great, i can use miles to have them fly directly from there instead of having them drive to SFO. I just wish it was ACV-SFO.
AA Treats SFO like it does a spoke outstation in central Kansas-so this isn't a surprise unfortunately

It would be a tad ridiculous for AA flyers in SFO to fly SFO-LAX-ACV (for probably a pretty penny)--than to simply make the drive or fly United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.