FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AAdvantage Award purchase. pay fees? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1316776-aadvantage-award-purchase-pay-fees.html)

jonny1 Feb 22, 2012 4:15 am

AAdvantage Award purchase. pay fees?

I booked a trip for 2 from ORD to LGA one way using my Advantage Miles and it was 25k miles total plus $5 fee

In end of the purchase, it asked me to enter my card number and I entered my citi aadvantage card number. Was this asked to pay for the $5 security or gov tax?

Do I get any free first checked bags?
I have this citi aadvantage cards, Citi Aadvantage visa signature (platinum level) &
Citi AAdvantage Amex card (select)
I applied for these cards back in Around November 2011 and the offer was 75k bonus miles after $3k purchase.
Thanks

elduderino Feb 22, 2012 5:27 am

You are only paying the $5 fee.

mvoight Feb 22, 2012 5:58 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 18060726)
I booked a trip for 2 from ORD to LGA one way using my Advantage Miles and it was 25k miles total plus $5 fee

In end of the purchase, it asked me to enter my card number and I entered my citi aadvantage card number. Was this asked to pay for the $5 security or gov tax?

Do I get any free first checked bags?
I have this citi aadvantage cards, Citi Aadvantage visa signature (platinum level) &
Citi AAdvantage Amex card (select)
I applied for these cards back in Around November 2011 and the offer was 75k bonus miles after $3k purchase.
Thanks

For free baggage, you need "Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantageŽ World EliteTM MasterCardŽ"
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-credit-cards/
One of the many benefits of spending $450 a year for a credit card :)

jonny1 Feb 22, 2012 6:04 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 18061001)
For free baggage, you need "Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantageŽ World EliteTM MasterCardŽ"
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-credit-cards/
One of the many benefits of spending $450 a year for a credit card :)

i fly domestic or international once or twice a year only so $450 is unimaginable for me.

my trip is in march 16th and booked one of the first trip today, am i able to change the travel date to march 15th?

i have other travels from march 17th, hotel stays and flights, those need 21 days advance booking too? On march 17th, i have trip from nyc to toronto YYZ. then 2 days stay at Niagara Falls, one night stay in Toronto and then return to ORD. pls GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS and ideas to how to book those using advantage miles

mvoight Feb 22, 2012 6:17 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 18061019)
i fly domestic or international once or twice a year only so $450 is unimaginable for me.

my trip is in march 16th and booked one of the first trip today, am i able to change the travel date to march 15th?

i have other travels from march 17th, hotel stays and flights, those need 21 days advance booking too? On march 17th, i have trip from nyc to toronto YYZ. then 2 days stay at Niagara Falls, one night stay in Toronto and then return to ORD. pls GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS and ideas to how to book those using advantage miles

If booked or changed less than 21 days prior to travel, you have to pay the expedite fee ($75, I think). By booked, do you mean the reservation is on hold or ticketed? ORD-LGA (stopover)-Toronto-(stopover)-ORD. Is 3 segments. I'd check ticket prices before using miles.

jonny1 Feb 22, 2012 6:23 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 18061061)
If booked or changed less than 21 days prior to travel, you have to pay the expedite fee ($75, I think). By booked, do you mean the reservation is on hold or ticketed? ORD-LGA (stopover)-Toronto-(stopover)-ORD. Is 3 segments. I'd check ticket prices before using miles.

i already booked(ticketed) march 16th flight from ORD to NYC today.
so if i want to travel on march 15th, will amex allow it and charge me $75?

i stay 2 days in NY at friend's place and then probably take a bus or fly to toronto, i will stay 2 days at NF and fly from toronto to chicago.

i haven't used my advantage miles yet on those trips

guv1976 Feb 22, 2012 7:26 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA (not Amex) permits free date changes on award tickets, as long as you do not change the date to one that is less than 21 days from when you originally ticketed the award. So if you find award seats and make the change from the 16th to the 15th or the 17th, the change should be free.

JetBlue often offers low fares between JFK and BUF, and allows one free checked bag. BUF is much closer to Niagara Falls than Toronto is.

Both Amtrak and Megabus provide service from NYC to BUF and YYZ. (Amtrak also serves Niagara Falls.) Check their sites for pricing. Discounts on some Amtrak routes may be available. Check the FT Amtrak forum for details. (There's also Amtrak service from Buffalo to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited.)

Southwest Airlines also serves BUF, and should offer either nonstop or one-stop service between BUF and MDW.

mvoight Feb 22, 2012 7:27 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 18061089)

i stay 2 days in NY at friend's place and then probably take a bus or fly to toronto, i will stay 2 days at NF and fly from toronto to chicago.

If there is a seat available in the category you have a ticket in, then you can change it for free, if traveling more than 21 days from now, but that would be via AA, not AMEX. March 15 is 22 days from now, due to leap year

You can put award reservations on hold for 5 days, so I recommend not ticketing them until you are sure of the day you want to go.
That said, you can fly ORD-LGA for $117 (on AA) on March 15 or 16, so IMHO, using miles was not cost effective. Assuming you used 12500 miles, the cost is that plus the lost of miles not earned, plus $5 for fees. So, that is 13233 miles compared to spending $112 more to buy a ticket. If it was less than 21 days in advance, and you had to pay the $75 expedite fee, that would mean a cost of 13233 miles to save $37. ($117-5-75)

jonny1 Feb 22, 2012 7:53 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 18061371)
If there is a seat available in the category you have a ticket in, then you can change it for free, if traveling more than 21 days from now, but that would be via AA, not AMEX. March 15 is 22 days from now, due to leap year

You can put award reservations on hold for 5 days, so I recommend not ticketing them until you are sure of the day you want to go.
That said, you can fly ORD-LGA for $117 (on AA) on March 15 or 16, so IMHO, using miles was not cost effective. Assuming you used 12500 miles, the cost is that plus the lost of miles not earned, plus $5 for fees. So, that is 13233 miles compared to spending $112 more to buy a ticket. If it was less than 21 days in advance, and you had to pay the $75 expedite fee, that would mean a cost of 13233 miles to save $37. ($117-5-75)

to change the date from march 16th trip date to march 15th, i have to call AA right? the flights are packed and out seats are way down all the way back 34. I already used miles (ticketed) for march 16th, can i ask AA to change my trip date to 15th and put on hold for 5 five days? Hold means book but not (ticketed) right? by then won't I be charged the $75 fee?

jonny1 Feb 22, 2012 7:57 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 18061368)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA (not Amex) permits free date changes on award tickets, as long as you do not change the date to one that is less than 21 days from when you originally ticketed the award. So if you find award seats and make the change from the 16th to the 15th or the 17th, the change should be free.

JetBlue often offers low fares between JFK and BUF, and allows one free checked bag. BUF is much closer to Niagara Falls than Toronto is.

Both Amtrak and Megabus provide service from NYC to BUF and YYZ. (Amtrak also serves Niagara Falls.) Check their sites for pricing. Discounts on some Amtrak routes may be available. Check the FT Amtrak forum for details. (There's also Amtrak service from Buffalo to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited.)

Southwest Airlines also serves BUF, and should offer either nonstop or one-stop service between BUF and MDW.

i am using Advantage miles so i checked flight from NYC to BUFF on advantage site and there is none. but there is flight from nyc to toronto.

guv1976 Feb 22, 2012 8:13 am

Well, if your real destination is Niagara Falls, it would be a waste to use AAdvantage miles to fly to YYZ if you can fly (or bus or train) to BUF cheaply. Do not overlook the cost of getting from YYZ to Niagara Falls.

If you want to use AA miles to fly from BUF or YYZ to ORD, keep in mind that for 20K miles per person, you can fly YYZ/BUF-ORD-Europe (with a months-long stopover in Chicago).

JDiver Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am

You can book now, but if you book and try to change the award to one departing 21 days or fewer days out than the day you purchased the award, the fee is $75 to do that. It's pretty much as others have said, but the crux is 21 days or less of purchasing the award ticket (there was a loophole, but it has been plugged) that will trigger the AA $75 fee.

You would be allowed a free bag if you had AAdvantage status, had a AAnytime award fare or a card (AAdvantage Executive) that allowed waived baggage frees (the Executive card also provides a year's membership in the Admirals Club and waives all foreign exchange fees, so ti is of value to some of us).

It's probably more economical to fly, rail or bus to Toronto than spend miles...

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 18061089)

dstan Feb 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 18060726)

Please confirm so we can update the thread title - that was the total price for both tickets and, accordingly you booked a MileSAAver award?

Also, please see our FAQ at the top of the forum, in which the entry below contains a link to the Baggage Fee Exemption List:

FAQ: Will I have to pay checked baggage fees?

jonny1 Feb 23, 2012 1:36 am

if i don't fly on travel date and fly at another date, i pay fee?

I was able to change my travel date to march 15th to NY from ORD. My wife is almost sure not to travel with me on that date. that's why amex gave us different Record Locator number although itinerary is same, same flight number same date and time. Amex told me don't worry if one of us don't want to travel on that date, you have full one year to to travel any date. But they won't give me back my miles already redeemed for her without $150 fee Is that true? Traveling on later date of her choosing means any fees? lets say i fly and my husband dont on march 15th, She has until feb 22, 2012 to travel to NY? the 21 days early booking rule applies here?

thanks

miamigrad Feb 23, 2012 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 18066817)
I was able to change my travel date to march 15th to NY from ORD. My wife is almost sure not to travel with me on that date. that's why amex gave us different Record Locator number although itinerary is same, same flight number same date and time. Amex told me don't worry if one of us don't want to travel on that date, you have full one year to to travel any date. But they won't give me back my miles already redeemed for her without $150 fee Is that true? Traveling on later date of her choosing means any fees? lets say i fly and my husband dont on march 15th, She has until feb 22, 2012 to travel to NY? the 21 days early booking rule applies here?

thanks

Have you checked out this section of AA.com?
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...servations.jsp

It, along with information in the stickys and AA Wiki, has a lot of useful information that you'll likely find beneficial.

The AA forum has some of the most knowledgeable people on FT, and we're all happy to help. It is good, though, to try to become familiar with the basics... it will make your travel experience more enjoyable.

W/R/T your question, as you'll see in the link I posted:
1. Yes - re-depositing miles incurs a $150 fee
"When requesting a reinstatement, a $150 USD processing charge will be assessed per account for the first award ticket. Any additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 USD per ticket add-on charge."

2. Changing date/time is free of charge, provided origin/destination remains the same.

The same link I provided discusses the award processing charges, including the $75 fee for ticketing less than 21 days prior to departure.