Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Award purchase. pay fees?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"My wife is almost sure not to travel with me on that date.

lets say i fly and my husband don't"

If you have both a wife and a husband in the U.S., you have a lot bigger problem than how to get to NYC and Niagara Falls!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jonny1
I was able to change my travel date to march 15th to NY from ORD. My wife is almost sure not to travel with me on that date. that's why amex gave us different Record Locator number although itinerary is same, same flight number same date and time. Amex told me don't worry if one of us don't want to travel on that date, you have full one year to to travel any date. But they won't give me back my miles already redeemed for her without $150 fee Is that true? Traveling on later date of her choosing means any fees? lets say i fly and my husband dont on march 15th, She has until feb 22, 2012 to travel to NY? the 21 days early booking rule applies here?

thanks
Yes, you can change the ticket from March 15 to any other date (up to a year from original ticketing date), as long as the new flight has saver award availability. There is no fee for this, and you can change as many times as you want. But don't let the ticketed flight just pass by, don't no-show. Once you know she won't fly the Mar 15 flight, you should call up AA and change the date. If you don't yet know when you will want to use it, you can "park" it by choosing a far off date (e.g. Feb 2013), since changing again once you know the actual desired date will still be free. As a courtesy to others, park the ticket on a less-desirable day of the week, say, Saturday evening or Tuesday afternoon.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
Yes, you can change the ticket from March 15 to any other date (up to a year from original ticketing date), as long as the new flight has saver award availability. There is no fee for this, and you can change as many times as you want. But don't let the ticketed flight just pass by, don't no-show. Once you know she won't fly the Mar 15 flight, you should call up AA and change the date. If you don't yet know when you will want to use it, you can "park" it by choosing a far off date (e.g. Feb 2013), since changing again once you know the actual desired date will still be free. As a courtesy to others, park the ticket on a less-desirable day of the week, say, Saturday evening or Tuesday afternoon.
thank you, that was very helpful information.
I am learning a lot from you and others.

^
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

^
If you do this again, you should consider the cost of the ticket without using miles.
In this case, the both travel dates showed a $117 fare for ORD-LGA. Given the $5 fee, you spent 13,233 miles (12500+733 not earned) to save $112.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mvoight

^
If you do this again, you should consider the cost of the ticket without using miles.
In this case, the both travel dates showed a $117 fare for ORD-LGA. Given the $5 fee, you spent 13,233 miles (12500+733 not earned) to save $112.
+1. In fact, the OP might have gotten more value for his miles by redeeming them for hotel rooms, rather than for flights.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think it entirely depends on what someone values their miles at - I use miles for EVERY flight I have to book that isnt work related because Ive got more miles than I reasonably use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.