Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )

Glad to see AA wants to stand alone, but Horton remarks a bit odd, even knowing the way media can shape the story without the fuller context.

(extract from Charlotte Observer quoting a Dallas newspaper)

"But Horton, in comments made to the Dallas Morning News editorial board on Thursday, seemed to dismiss any suggestion of a merger.
"This is not US Airways' first attempt at this. This is a small company very strategically limited, I would argue - not any international flying, hubs of less strategic importance," Horton said.
His remarks came a day after American issued a broad outline of its plan to cut costs and exit bankruptcy court as a standalone carrier. The Fort Worth-based carrier will seek to cut 13,000 jobs, about one out of every six workers, and to terminate its employee pension plan. It also plans to overhaul its fleet with more efficient planes, restructure leases and grow revenue by an average of $1 billion a year, partially by increasing departures from key cities.
On Thursday, Horton pointed to US Airways' checkered past in the merger arena.
"This will be their fourth try at this: twice for United, once for Delta while they were restructuring, now American. I would argue that this will be every bit as successful as their prior tries," Horton told the Dallas Morning News. "I'm not sure what's in the water out there in Phoenix. Maybe it's the cactus. I don't know what it is."

Last edited by Clipper110A; Feb 4, 2012 at 10:32 am Reason: I am a dyslexic typist
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
He's pretty confident.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by chanp
He's pretty confident.
He has to be, or at least put on a confident face.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
I'll stage an Occupy DFW protest if US comes anywhere near AA.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by DillMan
+ 1
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by DillMan
US is the one company I've consistently boycotted, even when their fares were significantly lower than competitors'. Worst airline ever.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chanp
He's pretty confident.

Actually its stupidity. The message should be AA management is open to combinations that strengthen its position. AA is a premier brand in the aviation world and while we believe we can go it alone, we also understand that there could be opportunities to grow via merger or acquisition. Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Actually its stupidity. The message should be AA management is open to combinations that strengthen its position. AA is a premier brand in the aviation world and while we believe we can go it alone, we also understand that there could be opportunities to grow via merger or acquisition. Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.
AA should hire you!!!

Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:27 am

Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.
Are you just saying what you think Horton should've said here, or are you angling for his job?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crazyMRer
AA should hire you!!!

I mean at least he could say, "We would like to merge with our key JV partner IAG as soon as we can convince the government on the benefits of allowing majority shareholding by foreign entities."

BA has had three key U.S. partners - first was their Marketing Marriage with UA, followed by their investment in US and then AA, which they seriously considered ditching at one point for CO.

If AA can't right its ship why wouldn't BA look for more stable alternatives? I think Horton and crew perhaps take for granted that BA/IAG will always be there unless A) they are a strong, profitable carrier or B) they are in fact part of IAG.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:42 am
Original Poster

He also is a bit off base about US internationally...No doubt AA is larger than US internationally, yet US send their metal to more cities in Europe than AA. It is odd that US can be found in secondary European markets like VCE, LIS, at one time ATH (some admittedly seasonal)...most of us would be in shock if AA started serving those cities.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper110A
He also is a bit off base about US internationally...No doubt AA is larger than US internationally, yet US send their metal to more cities in Europe than AA. It is odd that US can be found in secondary European markets like VCE, LIS, at one time ATH (some admittedly seasonal)...most of us would be in shock if AA started serving those cities.
If you took out AA's LHR ops I wonder how their European network/revenue/RPMs would look?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:53 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
The message should be AA management is open to combinations that strengthen its position. AA is a premier brand in the aviation world and while we believe we can go it alone, we also understand that there could be opportunities to grow via merger or acquisition. Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.
well said!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
He comes off a bit cocky and brash, but Wall Street looooves cocky and brash.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Rude and unprofessional. Profitability in Tempe vs unprofitability in Dallas.

How's
Your European network AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.