Wiki Posts
Search

AA, USAirway merger: status matching?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
AA, USAirway merger: status matching?

I am sure this has been asked already, but there are so many threads that a search is useless.

Anyone know if AA is going to status-match US Airways Chairman's Club members??
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
No one knows. This was just announced. No details are known. Another thread on yet another speculation point for unknown information is really not necessary.

Oh wait, will they be serving Coke or Pepsi?

Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Originally Posted by brp
No one knows. This was just announced. No details are known. Another thread on yet another speculation point for unknown information is really not necessary.

Cheers.
Sodastream. You make your own in the boarding area.

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Agreed no one knows yet. I'm sure the carriers themselves have yet to work out these details and wont for a while yet. You'll get status of some sort, but what the new status levels we'll be and how US's will map to the new AAdvantage program has yet to be decided.
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
Or both?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zsciaeount
I am sure this has been asked already, but there are so many threads that a search is useless.

Anyone know if AA is going to status-match US Airways Chairman's Club members??
It's Chairman's Preferred
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubba198
Sodastream. You make your own in the boarding area.

I'd welcome one of the Coke Freestyle machines in the walk-up bar area:

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Does US match AA EXPs? If so, to what?

While I don't fly US as much, I figured I could hedge by building a miles bank in both places. Of course if I wasn't so AA loyal I'd be hedging like a normal human with a status match and secondary program with United or Delta.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by ihdihd
Does US match AA EXPs? If so, to what?

While I don't fly US as much, I figured I could hedge by building a miles bank in both places. Of course if I wasn't so AA loyal I'd be hedging like a normal human with a status match and secondary program with United or Delta.
They wont be dong status matches against each other at this point. We were talking about when programs combine. They know the game you're trying to play in this situation.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by grahampros
They wont be dong status matches against each other at this point. We were talking about when programs combine. They know the game you're trying to play in this situation.
Thanks, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't. As I stated, if I have a choice of a secondary carrier for 2013 and 2014 when most of what will happen is status quo, then it would be in their best interest to make that secondary carrier US/AA. It would certainly be better than hedging and status matching on Delta or United, which could be disastrous to them if I like it enough to move allegiance (multiplied by all EXPs). Just saying that it isn't as simple as "we'll get you anyway"

As an analogy, Citicard is more than happy to accept my application and give me more miles for their credit card, because if 2 out of my 3 cards are Citi Advantage cards, there is a higher likelihood that my $ are going them.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by ihdihd
Thanks, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't. As I stated, if I have a choice of a secondary carrier for 2013 and 2014 when most of what will happen is status quo, then it would be in their best interest to make that secondary carrier US/AA. It would certainly be better than hedging and status matching on Delta or United, which could be disastrous to them if I like it enough to move allegiance (multiplied by all EXPs). Just saying that it isn't as simple as "we'll get you anyway"

As an analogy, Citicard is more than happy to accept my application and give me more miles for their credit card, because if 2 out of my 3 cards are Citi Advantage cards, there is a higher likelihood that my $ are going them.
Pick either AA or US but they are not going to play against each other at this point.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by grahampros
What is dong status?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:16 am
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
UA and CO did just that.

In 2010 after the merger announcement, you had the code-share / alliance benefits for boarding, free baggage, and club access.

For 2011 there was a website where you linked your accounts - once you did that, you received credentials on the "other" carrier ... 1K=Plat / Premier Exec = Gold / Premier = Silver.

Later on for 2012 when million miler qualifications were recalculated, pre-United members had mileage recalclated based on CO's more generous way of counting miles (code share, alliance, credit card, etc. ... vs UA strict BIS calculation).

Elite rank inflation ... status devaluation ... oh g-d this freaking nightmare starts again. Ugh.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MoJ0
Later on for 2012 when million miler qualifications were recalculated, pre-United members had mileage recalclated based on CO's more generous way of counting miles (code share, alliance, credit card, etc. ... vs UA strict BIS calculation).
And pre-merger UA million milers lost their annual regional upgrades and 100% bonus miles. I'd trade off the "more generous way of counting miles" on the CO side for the way it used to be on the UA side. Those of us that had those 1MM BIS miles lost a lot with this merger.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by tom911
And pre-merger UA million milers lost their annual regional upgrades and 100% bonus miles. I'd trade off the "more generous way of counting miles" on the CO side for the way it used to be on the UA side. Those of us that had those 1MM BIS miles lost a lot with this merger.
Of course, AA can now afford to lose all their long time EXPs, they've got all those new UA status matches...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.