Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
I fail to see the connection given that the perk is EQMs, not MM miles.
If, as is endlessly rumoured, AA changes MM earning to no longer include all miles but only EQMs, with this card they'll be able to say "You have more than one way of earning MM status than just BIS miles, EQMs earned from the AA Citi Executive World Elite MC will also count towards MM status."
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Amex plat now gives up to 200$ a year in waived AA fees -- baggage, ticketing, anything that is not a fare
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:26 am
Company Representative - American Airlines

Programs: American Airlines
Good morning FlyerTalk friends!

We see you got an early jump on our exciting announcement! Today were officially releasing the brand new Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard.

For those who havent yet reviewed the cards benefits, it comes packed with:
  • Admirals Club Membership
  • Priority Check-In & Boarding
  • Waived Domestic Baggage Charge for First Checked Bag
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees on Purchases
  • Global Concierge Service

But we think youll like these benefits the most:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles
    • Earn up to 10,000 AAdvantage elite qualifying miles when you spend $40,000 within a calendar year
  • Earn Double AAdvantage Miles on Eligible American Airlines Purchases
  • No Mileage Cap

More details to follow in the press release below, but were happy to answer any questions that you may have!

Learn more & apply here: http://bit.ly/aacitiexec

See the full release here:

American Airlines (NYSE: AMR)
Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C)
July 18, 2011

CITI CARDS AND AMERICAN AIRLINES INTRODUCE NEW ELITE TRAVELER CREDIT CARD WITH EXPANDED SUITE OF CO-BRANDED PRODUCT OFFERINGS

The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard Offers
Premium Amenities, Services and Experiences,
As Well As Exclusive Mileage-Earning Opportunities

New York (July 18, 2011) Just in time for the busy air travel season, Citi Cards and American Airlines announce today a new addition to the 24-year
Citi / AAdvantage credit card portfolio that has served millions of cardmembers with its products and service. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard will deliver exclusive elite-level travel services and experiences to Americans flyers.

The new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage card is a direct reflection of the benefits frequent flyers are seeking in a rewards card and underscores the commitment of Citi and American Airlines to enhancing our customers experiences, said Terry ONeil, Executive Vice President, Citi Cards. With premium travel benefits, accelerated AAdvantage miles-earning opportunities and enhanced convenience, the
Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage card unlocks exclusive access to elite-level benefits cardmembers cant get with any other credit card.

The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard provides a new class of cardmember privileges, including:
Admirals Club membership privileges;
No foreign transaction fees on purchases;
Enhanced Airport Experience;
Waived baggage charge for first domestic checked bag;
Expert Concierge Service.

In addition, the new card offers a once per year AAdvantage Elite Qualifying
mileage-earning opportunity, based on annual card spend, to put cardmembers on the fast track to American Airlines AAdvantage elite status membership. Later this year, Citi plans to introduce the Citi ExecutiveSM/ AAdvantage card with EMV chip card functionality to provide cardmembers with the ability to use a technology that is increasingly important when making credit card purchases abroad.

The new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage card offers unprecedented airline benefits that allow cardmembers to travel in comfort and style said Maya Leibman, President AAdvantage Loyalty Program. Moving through the airport more quickly, relaxing at the Admirals Club and earning AAdvantage Elite Qualifying Miles are just a few of the many fantastic perks this new card provides.

Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard Details:
Admirals Club Membership privileges for cardmember and immediate family or up to two traveling guests to enjoy the comfort, convenience and service of a private lounge with complimentary drinks and light snacks, WiFi, and a suite of business services at over 40 worldwide locations
10,000 AAdvantage Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after the first $40,000 in eligible net purchases made on the card within a calendar year
No foreign transaction fees on purchases
Enhanced airport experience including priority check-in, airport screening and boarding privileges, regardless of the class of service of the cardmembers ticket
Two American Airlines AAdvantage miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases made with your Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard credit card for items billed by American Airlines as merchant of record
Waived baggage charge for first domestic checked bag for cardmember and up to eight companion(s) traveling under the same itinerary
Expert Concierge Service: Top tier customer service representatives available
24-hours a day to assist with dinner reservations, travel arrangements, gift purchases and more
No mileage cap on miles earned through purchases made with the card
EMV Chip card functionality to enable purchases abroad at EMV chip-enabled merchants, planned introduction in 2011
Access to Citis Private Pass Program, providing cardmember opportunities such as presale events and VIP experiences
Free tools such as email and text alerts, billing due date option and automatic payments to help with account management
Extended Warranty on purchases
Complimentary Travel Services: Automatic Travel Accident Insurance, Travel and Emergency Assistance Services, Auto Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Coverage
Comprehensive fraud and theft protection including: Fraud Early Warning,
$0 Liability for unauthorized purchases, Citi Identity Theft Solutions, and The Lost Wallet Service
$450 annual fee

For more information about the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard, please visit citiexecutiveaadvantage.citi.com.

###

About Citi / AAdvantage
The industry-leading Citi / AAdvantage credit card was among the first of its kind when it debuted in 1987. The co-branded credit card program has since grown to include millions of loyal customers and is one of the most dynamic and unique card programs in the industry. Citi and American Airlines suite of co-branded mileage rewards cards include: Citi Gold / AAdvantage World MasterCard, Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World MasterCard, Citi Gold / AAdvantage Visa Signaturecard, Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Visa Signature card, Citi / AAdvantage American Express card, Citi SelectSM / AAdvantage American Express card, Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard, CitiBusiness / AAdvantage MasterCard, CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Visa card and Citibank / AAdvantage Debit Card. To apply for the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage Card, visit www.citicards.com.

About Citi
Citi, the leading global financial services company, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Additional information may be found at www.citigroup.com.

About American Airlines
American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection serve 250 cities in 50 countries with, on average, more than 3,600 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 900 aircraft. American's award-winning website, AA.com, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve approximately 900 destinations with more than 9,000 daily flights to 145 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, AA.com, and AAdvantage are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc. (NYSE: AMR).

Media Contacts:
Emily Collins
Citi
212-559-0499
[email protected]

Stacey Frantz
American Airlines
Corporate Communications
Fort Worth, Texas
817-967-1577
[email protected]
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
[*]Earn up to 10,000 AAdvantage elite qualifying miles when you spend $40,000 within a calendar year
Hmm for $40k spend on the Hilton Surpass you get top tier membership, and the annual fee is only $75.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
This begs two questions:

1) Will Citi waive the yearly fee for Citigold members like they do with the other AA cards? I assume the answer is no, but I will ask anyway.

2) Does AC membership with this card act like the Amex PLT card or does it give the holder full AC benefits (i.e., wifi). I realize, this may be moot in a few months if AA switches to free wifi.
Ross0,

Here are some answers for you!
  1. The fee will not be waived.
  2. This card does provide the primary cardholder full Admirals Club benefits, including access to the T-Mobile HotSpot Internet. You will need your AAdvantage number and password to access.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:26 am

Ross0,

2. This card does provide the primary cardholder full Admirals Club benefits, including access to the T-Mobile HotSpot Internet. You will need your AAdvantage number and password to access.
Terrific - thank you!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:28 am

Ross0,

1. [*]
Thus, the additional cardholder when traveling by their lonesome cannot access the AC. Unless they use their trusty Amex Plat.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM
No foreign transaction fees is a modest plus in my view, I got so irritated by these charges when travelling overseas that I opened a Capital One card just for overseas trips. Of course, wouldn't put it past them to just bake in the foreign transaction fee into the exchange rate.

The embedded chip will also be a modest plus as anyone who has tried to purchase train tickets at ticket machines in Europe will surely agree.

Not sure it will outweigh the large annual fee, but it's encouraging that they thought of the above two items in addition to the EQM and AC incentives.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:57 am

I agree. I'm still debating where I come down on this card given the relatively few perks for EXPs vs. the high-fee.

For an EXP AC member who currently pays $300 a year, the card is basically $150.

Forget all of the priority and free checked bags perks as those are not perks to EXPs. This is really a question of whether no foreign finance fee + 10k EQMs (at a really high $40k per year threshold) per year + 2x AA miles on AA spend (though most of us are spending all of our "AA dollars" at Costco these days) is worth $150.

For a gold or plt who pay more in AC membership this may be more of a no brainer.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:21 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tondoleo
Thus, the additional cardholder when traveling by their lonesome cannot access the AC.
Also, it appears that the primary cardholder can only bring in family members as guests, while American Express Centurion and Platinum allow the cardholder to bring in any two people:

Admirals Club lounge access with unlimited access for you and your immediate family
It will be interesting to see how AA verifies immediate family status and if AA renews their arrangement with American Express.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Also, it appears that the primary cardholder can only bring in family members as guests, while American Express Centurion and Platinum allow the cardholder to bring in any two people:

It will be interesting to see how AA verifies immediate family status and if AA renews their arrangement with American Express.
Not entirely correct. This from their website:

With an Admirals Club membership, you and your immediate family (or up to two traveling guests) have access to over 40 Admirals Club worldwide locations.
Bold statement by me to emphasize any other two guests.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu
Not entirely correct. This from their website:
With an Admirals Club membership, you and your immediate family (or up to two traveling guests) have access to over 40 Admirals Club worldwide locations.
Bold statement by me to emphasize any other two guests.
To clarify, per the terms and conditions, The primary cardmember may bring as guest(s) either immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age) or up to two traveling guests.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Ross0,

Do Citi Private Bank Clients get it waived?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by nrr
The Amex plat. card has a few perks which the Citibank card doesn't:
(1)It will pay the $100 Global Entry fee
(2)If you designate aa as your "primary" airline, up to $200/yr in certain fees are reimbursed (airfares are NOT). Officially (it seems) that aa gift cards are not included in the $200, but in reality, a gift card $100 or less is included--this is discussed in the amex cc forum.
The Amex is also a great card for families who don't all have the same primary air carrier. My brother and I (along with two others) got the Amex Plat for this reason. I flew AA, he flew DL and the others (until the merger) flew NW. So for a total of $675 we each got access to the lounge of our choice airline.

This new card would be alright if the annual fee was halved or if the EQM came earlier in the spending. As someone who usually approaches 40k BIS miles each year, the 10k would be nice, but I don't know I'd pay that kind of money for it.

I feel as though there should be a discount for elite members, not just out of self interest (since I am one) but because most of the benefits are already included for those members. Or perhaps different levels of EQM bonuses after the 40k (10k towards GLD, 15k towards PLT, 20k towards EXP). All we're getting is the lounge access (already have that via Amex), the concierge service and the extra EQM. But I already wait in the short lines, get free checked bags, board at the beginning and have no mileage cap on my other Citi cards. This card basically gives you GLD minus the upgrades and second free checked bag.

However, if people report back here that the concierge service is head and shoulders above Amex then maybe it would be worth it. Hopefully Amex decides to up their game by allowing the transfer of MR points to AAdvantage miles.

Guess we can also hope for targeted promos of first year fee waived, or something like that. It actually makes a lot of sense to do that right now, mid year, since there will be the smallest number of people possible able to get the 10k miles (and a few able to get a free 20k) since their free year is split exactly in two six month increments.

Oh, and as an aside, I do understand the rationale for spend in a calendar year: Let's say you get the card in February and by September you've spent 35k and flown about 27k EQM with no additional travel planned for the year. If you're smart, you'll stick the card in a drawer, pull it out in January, and start the new qualification year off with 10k EQM.

Last edited by JumboD; Jul 18, 2011 at 11:07 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Hmm for $40k spend on the Hilton Surpass you get top tier membership, and the annual fee is only $75.
Yeah. I currently have a spg Amex, but we're using Hilton more. I've been contemplating the HHonors Surpass and will likely do this at the turn of the year. Seems a much better option (for us) for that $40K spend than this AA card.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.