Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ross0
Anyone know what the stock at Costco's Pentagon City location is?
Why don't you just call and ask them?

Regards
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:40 pm

Takes forever to get through. But, finally did. Pentagon City has 196 left. Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Some have speculated that they are discontinuing the cards because they were selling too many. Others think they were selling too few. Others think it was always supposed to be temporary, to raise some quick cash. But I had another thought.

Early speculation when they first appeared was that they were simply a marketing tool, aimed at getting non-AA fliers and airline-agnostic fliers to choose AA. That explains why they were never available in the DFW area, since most of us here usually fly AA anyway. I wonder if they did some analysis of who was redeeming these cards, and found a higher-than-expected utilization by AA elites. If they realized that they were discounting for existing customers more than they were attracting new customers, then it would be only logical to for them to pull the plug.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
Some have speculated that they are discontinuing the cards because they were selling too many. Others think they were selling too few. Others think it was always supposed to be temporary, to raise some quick cash. But I had another thought.

Early speculation when they first appeared was that they were simply a marketing tool, aimed at getting non-AA fliers and airline-agnostic fliers to choose AA. That explains why they were never available in the DFW area, since most of us here usually fly AA anyway. I wonder if they did some analysis of who was redeeming these cards, and found a higher-than-expected utilization by AA elites. If they realized that they were discounting for existing customers more than they were attracting new customers, then it would be only logical to for them to pull the plug.
What about if they were using the GCs but putting themselves on other carriers (i.e. JL/AS/CX flights ticketed as either AA codeshares?)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
I know I've used the gift cards quite a bit for high value international travel, with at least one segment on non-AA metal. I always wondered how they accounted for this since I assume they have to guarantee a certain minimum of revenue on those codeshares not part of a joint venture.

I'm partial to the theory that AA was cutting out the middle man on bookings made outside aa.com. They seem to really be waging war on the travel sites.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
There's still a bunch in the Raleigh store, and this time I even got some little envelopes! Woo hoo!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I was surprised to find the Queens store(LI city, not Rego Park) still had them.
When I bought 10 GCs at the store last week(see my post #1275), I thoght it was my last time purchasing the GCs as the remaining GCs would be sold out quite soon.

Just out of curiosity,I called the store today and was told they still had 110.
It was little odd for me as I confirmed they had only 50+ on July 3rd

Anyway I went to the store at the evening today(July 9th) and bought another 5 GCs.
When I received the 5 GCs, I again asked a store staff how many GCs they had in stock now. The staff checked about it with their computer(same as on July 3rd but by different staff) and told me they had 80 now.

As I had very inconsistent answers since last Wed about how many GCs the store currently had, I am not sure the 80 is accurate or not.
But it seems the store still have some as of July 9th.
I went to LIC Costco on 7/10 at around 11:30 am, and purchased 5; at the "pick-up" window, I asked the agent did they have many left and she showed me (from a distance) a "big pile"--at least 50, from my estimate.
PS: The only Costco stores I've visited have been Westbury, LI; Rego Park and LIC (for the first time today). On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), I would rate Westbury 6, Rego Park 8 and LIC 3. [Employee friendliness, parking, length of lines, general ambiance all playing a role in my ranking.]
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I know as FT'ers we readily jump on statements made as gospel. I just have a tough time thinking someone in a random warehouse would know the national plans of a company like Costco. There is a warehouse near me in Sac that just got the cards. Not sure they'd do that if they are being phased out.
+1
Santa Clara, CA Costco just got these AA cards as well.
I will be surprised that they are going away.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by nrr
I went to LIC Costco on 7/10 at around 11:30 am, and purchased 5; at the "pick-up" window, I asked the agent did they have many left and she showed me (from a distance) a "big pile"--at least 50, from my estimate.
PS: The only Costco stores I've visited have been Westbury, LI; Rego Park and LIC (for the first time today). On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), I would rate Westbury 6, Rego Park 8 and LIC 3. [Employee friendliness, parking, length of lines, general ambiance all playing a role in my ranking.]
I called at 3:15 pm yesterday and they said they had 54. At 5 pm, however, they only had 10 left (I was told the computer doesn't update immediately, so the 54 number may not have been accurate). Unless some were hidden or have been returned, they now have zero. I think they may have only recently received them--I think I remember hearing that only Rego Park and Manhattan in the metro area had them, and the cashier said they were relatively recent.
This was my first visit to that Costco, and I'd agree with its assessment above--small and cramped, and definitely a smaller assortment of inventory than in the other Costcos I've seen (the two mentioned above, Commack, Holbrook, Pentagon City, San Francisco, and North Miami Beach).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:08 am

I have a question about using this giftcard. I am a citi AA credit card holder. If my flight costs $250 and I use the giftcard. Will I still get a free checked bag and priority boarding? Or if my flight costs $350 and I use the gift card and pay the difference with my AA credit card, Will I still get a free checked bag and priority boarding?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
This thread is getting kind of funny. Can't help but wonder if the rapidly declining stock of cards is caused directly by FTers panicking as they read these reports. Wouldn't be surprised if Costco has sold more of these cards in the last week than in the previous six months!
I'm betting its more likely a result of AA putting a moratorium on minting any new retail GC's while still dredging through BK. @:-)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
Originally Posted by Ritz
I'm betting its more likely a result of AA putting a moratorium on minting any new retail GC's while still dredging through BK. @:-)
https://giftcards.aa.com/ ?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Ritz
How much do you want to loose?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geclub1
+1
Santa Clara, CA Costco just got these AA cards as well.
I will be surprised that they are going away.
Unless those of us who have been told by different employees at different Costco locations have all been lied to or are part of a great conspiracy, you best be ready to be surprised.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IamHungry
I have a question about using this giftcard. I am a citi AA credit card holder. If my flight costs $250 and I use the giftcard. Will I still get a free checked bag and priority boarding? Or if my flight costs $350 and I use the gift card and pay the difference with my AA credit card, Will I still get a free checked bag and priority boarding?

Thanks!
Yes, you will.
The benefits are linked to your AA #.
When you put your AA # in the PNR, you should be able to get the benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.