Wiki Posts
Search

Award; Europe to South Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Award; Europe to South Pacific

Does anyone have experience booking an AA award from Europe to anywhere in the South Pacific. The opportunity to purchase 40000 miles (almost enough for the 45000 miles required) makes the cost competitive with buying a one-way ticket. However my questions are:
1. What sort of fees are added on? ( A QF LHR-SYD at present attracts fees and charges of 290 pounds) (FRA-SYD is 264 Euros)
2. Is availability to AAdvantage members comparable to that shown on QF?

Another interesting route home (for me) is an award from Europe to HNL (20000 Milesaver) and a one-way ticket HNL-SYD when cheap Jetstar tickets are availlable (around $A470).

A one-way LHR-SYD last October cost me almost $A1100 so anything below that is worthwhile.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I do not believe that AA imposes any fuel surcharges on QF redemptions, but a call to AA could quickly confirm that.

The 20,000-mile Europe-HNL off-peak MileSAAver Coach award -- which is only offered from mid-October to mid-May -- would permit you a free stopover at the North American gateway, if desired. You would need to avoid flying BA on the TATL segment of the AA award to avoid being hit with a high fuel surcharge.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Just yesterday I booked an award flight Europe-South Pacific return (for #2 sister to come out to PER next year for #1 daughter’s wedding). She’ll be flying a mix of CX and QF.

NO fuel surcharges. A total of USD160 in the various taxes, plus a USD25 booking fee^^
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
just curious, would AA allow a routing for this type of trip via S. America instead of N. America on an All-Partner Award? i.e. ORY-MAD-SCL-PPT (IB & LA)?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
just curious, would AA allow a routing for this type of trip via S. America instead of N. America on an All-Partner Award? i.e. ORY-MAD-SCL-PPT (IB & LA)?
On an All-Partner Award Europe-SWP, you cannot travel via the Americas at all - neither North nor South
Travel has to be via Asia
No stopovers allowed, on an All Partner Award
and only via certain Asian ports

See the bottom of post #1 in this thread

TN flies NRT-PPT, so that may be the best way to go
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Of course, one could travel via North America by combining two All-Partner awards, and that could cost as little as 57.5K miles in Coach, versus 45K miles in Coach via Asia. For the extra 12.5K miles, one could have up to three stopovers in North America (e.g., NYC, LAS, and HNL; or BOS, PHX, and LAX), which some might find worthwhile.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

Of course, one could travel via North America by combining two All-Partner awards, and that could cost as little as 57.5K miles in Coach, versus 45K miles in Coach via Asia. For the extra 12.5K miles, one could have up to three stopovers in North America (e.g., NYC, LAS, and HNL; or BOS, PHX, and LAX), which some might find worthwhile.
Very good point!
Old May 2, 2011, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and ideas. If the $A remains strong then this becomes a very cost-effective route back from UK to Oz (particularly compared to a one-way ticket).
Old Jul 31, 2011, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

I went ahead and purchased 36000 miles (and 9000 bonus miles) for a price of $A838 - pretty good value thanks to the Aussie dollar. I read that the terms for sharing miles have been relaxed but does the combined limit for buy/share miles remain at 40000 miles per annum? The cost of an aditional 15000 miles for a J award looks very tempting.
There's no change out of $4000 for a J one-way from CDG-SYD for October this year!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

^Good news. I went ahead and acquired the 60,000 miles by miles purchase/sharing (including bonus miles). I decided to try for an award from South Pacific - Europe and after a look at the alternatives thought SYD-CDG via Tokyo (NRT or HND - two choices in one city) looked best. Around October 20 there was limited availability seen on the QF booking engine for my dates in September next year (particularly via BKK,SIN and HKG) in J although Y seats were much more available. Fortunately I discovered awardnexus and saw a wider range of choices and by using a search for SYD-NRT and NRT-CDG (following day with an overnight stop in Narita) I found 2 seats. I just missed a codeshare on AF on the A380 from NRT-CDG direct (a JL award) but settled on SYD-NRT (JL) and NRT-LHR-CDG (BA). Booking through Aadvantage was fairly quick and pleasant, except for a slight glitch in the miles transfer (fixed without major problems). The only downside is the need to pay $444 per person in taxes and charges with the bulk going to BA YQ. However for the award received I am a very happy customer - thank you, AA and flyertalk helpers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.